Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 10:26 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,453,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
If you enjoy workplace safety programs, collective bargaining, sustaining social security and Medicare (not gutting it), then you need to vote for democrats (that could change).
I don't have a problem with a stricter immigration policy, I hope DRUMPF can accompish some sort of slowdown. In that respect I agree with republicans. Not much else.
We will agree to disagree. I've seen nothing from the IL Dems which shows me that they are any friend of labor beyond those employed in the public sector. Union membership has dropped substantially since Democrats assumed control of the governorship 15 years ago and Illinois on the whole needs more good jobs, particularly in low opportunity urban areas.

Serious reform is needed for that to happen, and Democrats have blocked this in a cynical ploy to regain power. And I've seen nothing which substantiates the fears you've articulated despite several requests.

I will not be voting for IL Dems this coming election. We need reform, not more of the same. IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 11:10 AM

997 posts, read 849,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
We will agree to disagree. I've seen nothing from the IL Dems which shows me that they are any friend of labor beyond those employed in the public sector. Union membership has dropped substantially since Democrats assumed control of the governorship 15 years ago and Illinois on the whole needs more good jobs, particularly in low opportunity urban areas.

Serious reform is needed for that to happen, and Democrats have blocked this in a cynical ploy to regain power. And I've seen nothing which substantiates the fears you've articulated despite several requests.

I will not be voting for IL Dems this coming election. We need reform, not more of the same. IMHO.
Chicago and the collar counties are booming (not HARVEY lol). The trib (as you quoted earlier) last week that Chicago has over 50 of the heavier cranes operating today, more than double last year. I agree (as would any person that reads) that union membership is down (not because of democrats). What would you prefer, the 2% that South Carolina currently has.

Old 05-10-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Chicago and the collar counties are booming (not HARVEY lol). The trib (as you quoted earlier) last week that Chicago has over 50 of the heavier cranes operating today, more than double last year. I agree (as would any person that reads) that union membership is down (not because of democrats). What would you prefer, the 2% that South Carolina currently has.
It's a Christmas miracle that the Chicagoland area is doing as well as it is, but that's largely been due to the professional sector. Great, but the area could be doing much better in terms of drawing good jobs which could help the disadvantaged (i.e. manufacturing). The last three decades of national politics and trade agreements have firmly convinced me that the modern Democratic party does not give a hoot about manufacturing jobs or controlling illegal immigration, both of which kill union jobs. So I will need a lot more than your unsubstantiated speculation to get on board with the idea that union membership will drop to 2% if we elect Republicans. And quite frankly, we'll be down to that soon enough if we maintain the present course.

Old 05-10-2017, 12:15 PM

many,many republicans are against curbing immigration (maybe not openly) because it's a. Instant source of cheap labor, keeping the wages down. One of my very good friends (ask stated earlier) couldn't survive (unless he paid realistic wages) without illegal labor.

Old 05-10-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
many,many republicans are against curbing immigration (maybe not openly) because it's a. Instant source of cheap labor, keeping the wages down. One of my very good friends (ask stated earlier) couldn't survive (unless he paid realistic wages) without illegal labor.
I would not disagree with this statement. After all, it was the Reagan Administration which signed the 1986 amnesty bill with no employer sanctions to prevent future illegal immigration. We all know what happened after that. This said, I think the Republican party is now more inclined to do something about it, probably because the vast majority of that demographic will vote Democrat should there be a second big amnesty.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
I would not disagree with this statement. After all, it was the Reagan Administration which signed the 1986 amnesty bill with no employer sanctions to prevent future illegal immigration. We all know what happened after that. This said, I think the Republican party is now more inclined to do something about it, probably because the vast majority of that demographic will vote Democrat should there be a second big amnesty.
I hope your right! We both win,lol.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:55 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,154 times
Quote:
It's a Christmas miracle that the Chicagoland area is doing as well as it is, but that's largely been due to the professional sector. Great, but the area could be doing much better in terms of drawing good jobs which could help the disadvantaged (i.e. manufacturing). The last three decades of national politics and trade agreements have firmly convinced me that the modern Democratic party does not give a hoot about manufacturing jobs or controlling illegal immigration, both of which kill union jobs. So I will need a lot more than your unsubstantiated speculation to get on board with the idea that union membership will drop to 2% if we elect Republicans. And quite frankly, we'll be down to that soon enough if we maintain the present course.
The type of manufacturing you are looking for will not be returning to Chicago. That ship has sailed.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
The type of manufacturing you are looking for will not be returning to Chicago. That ship has sailed.
No it hasn't. A way will have to be figured out. Not everybody can go to college and get a high paying office job in trade, finance, law, or accounting in the Loop and live in Logan Square or whichever hot neighborhood on the North Side. People in low opportunity areas have to be given the option of jobs which pay well too. Entitlements and drug sales are not cutting it.

Your mentality is why the middle class has shrunk rapidly and we have such misery in our worst neighborhoods. One big reason anyway.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:27 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,154 times
Quote:
No it hasn't. A way will have to be figured out. Not everybody can go to college and get a high paying office job in trade, finance, law, or accounting in the Loop and live in Logan Square or whichever hot neighborhood on the North Side. People in low opportunity areas have to be given the option of jobs which pay well too. Entitlements and drug sales are not cutting it.

Your mentality is why the middle class has shrunk rapidly and we have such misery in our worst neighborhoods. One big reason anyway.

True, the white collar path is not the only path. Regarding the manufacturing jobs though- you cannot take a magic wand and bring them back. That's not how it works in the real world. Ask yourself ,or better yet, someone with a better command of Economics, why most of the heavy industries we used to have such as shipbuilding, moved away from the United States over time. There was no conspiracy involved. Oh, raising the minimum wage to $15-20 won't help either. Solving this problem probably requires more taxes and regulations (and arguably, social engineering) than even hardcore democrats will be able to stomach.

Honestly though, you don't know me, so your final comments are a load of horse excrement.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:51 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
The fact there are still literally MILLIONS of cars made in US auto plants. Many of the MOST PRODUCTIVE plants are in located not in Michigan but parts of the country like Missouri, Kentucky, Indiana, Alabama, South Carolina, Georgia and Texas. In fact, there is still a Ford plant inside Illinois that manages to make the the Top 15 list -- The 15 Top-Producing American Car Plants Unfortunately it is probably true that Illinois / Chicago politicians came way to late to the table to secure more such plants and from what I understand virtually every employee of Ford's Chicago Assembly Plant and the associated Stamping facility live in NWI... Politicians with a bit more ability to see the "big picture" would have been able to do deals that made the region more attractive to the firms that have brought prosperity to areas outside the traditional "rust belt"...

The story of how political leaders in areas better known for "plantations" and textiles have been revitalized by MANUFACTURING could have been a story to reshape Chicago's East Side and associated suburbs when the massive shifts in steel left that part of the region in turmoil -- Going Strong - Georgia Trend This are good jobs that might not pay as much the gold plated days of the top UAW contracts, but the bullheaded ignorance of those supposed "labor leaders" has seen smart manufacturers boom in an area that is reaping the benefits while Chicago's former manufacturing areas rot. Is that really "looking out for the working people"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago