Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 11:52 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I don't like either Rauner or Madigan. They are working together to make sure there is never a budget. I suppose Rauner can say, correctly, that he knows nothing about politics so you can't expect him to get anything done. Madigan just refuses to. In a just world they would both get voted out of office.
In a just world, the politicians who got us to this point with pension promises that were impossible to keep that they then didn't even try to fund would be thrown in jail, and have all their assets seized and auctioned off to try to repair the damage they caused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 09:34 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
Here's Who's Running for Governor of Illinois | NBC Chicago

If the election were today, I'd vote for Rauner.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:23 AM

575 posts, read 616,266 times
he tried to be Scott Walker but didn't (and doesn't) have majorities in the legislature

Old 04-12-2017, 04:17 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
a guy trying to do all the right things, but being dragged down by BS politics at every turn. He needs to stay in place to keep the Democrats from further raising taxes and bankrupting the state.

All in all, he's doing a great job, but cannot get anything done due to the Democrats in control beneath him. Unlike the Democrats, Rauner realizes we do not have an endless supply of money and that continuing to raise taxes to feed wasteful programs while sticking your head in the sand is not the answer. The Democrats need to go!
^This.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:03 PM

1,067 posts, read 916,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Moderator cut: .a guy trying to do all the right things, but being dragged down by BS politics at every turn. He needs to stay in place to keep the Democrats from further raising taxes and bankrupting the state.

All in all, he's doing a great job, but cannot get anything done due to the Democrats in control beneath him. Unlike the Democrats, Rauner realizes we do not have an endless supply of money and that continuing to raise taxes to feed wasteful programs while sticking your head in the sand is not the answer. The Democrats need to go!
Completely agree. Rauner is the best IL governor of all time. He finally said "NO" to the tax raises and kicking the can down the road and proposed real structural changes. Only problem is he can't pass the laws AND sign them. The funny thing is that democrats had a supermajority in the house AND Senate up until Nov. 2016. Think about that for a second..the dems coulda passed any law and ANY BUDGET without Rauner. Yeah I know the governor is supposed to present the budget but that's just a formality. It takes the House and Senate to pass it.

I will definitely be voting for Rauner for reelection. And the reason he is running reelection ads is because he needs more Repubs to get his ideas passed. Politics is a process and when people see the debt, cuts and dysfunction they start to blame someone...hopefully people are smart and blame the democrats and vote republican. Unfortunately, I think the Trump effect has the democratic party motivated and I bet the Repubs get crushed in the next election.

I am truly hoping Madigan dies soon. That's our only hope.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:32 AM

997 posts, read 850,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
Completely agree. Rauner is the best IL governor of all time. He finally said "NO" to the tax raises and kicking the can down the road and proposed real structural changes. Only problem is he can't pass the laws AND sign them. The funny thing is that democrats had a supermajority in the house AND Senate up until Nov. 2016. Think about that for a second..the dems coulda passed any law and ANY BUDGET without Rauner. Yeah I know the governor is supposed to present the budget but that's just a formality. It takes the House and Senate to pass it.

I will definitely be voting for Rauner for reelection. And the reason he is running reelection ads is because he needs more Repubs to get his ideas passed. Politics is a process and when people see the debt, cuts and dysfunction they start to blame someone...hopefully people are smart and blame the democrats and vote republican. Unfortunately, I think the Trump effect has the democratic party motivated and I bet the Repubs get crushed in the next election.

I am truly hoping Madigan dies soon. That's our only hope.
Um, he has been kicking the can down the road for two more years! And the debt is growing with him in charge. In spite of him and his cronies giving millions to that chick that couldn't answer what 9x3 is, ahh Leslie munger was her name she still got pummeled in the last election.
The best thing for any republican up for election is to distance themselves from Rauner. It doesn't matter who is governor right now, they need more money, now! He. An try and push his reforms and maybe some will stick, but he is burying this state by trying to get it all now, not gonna happen, ever.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:17 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Can't stand Rauner. He's most likely going to be ousted from office next election though. He's clearly worried himself or else he wouldn't be campaigning across the state this early like he is now.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:03 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Rauner's strategy is less about "being worried" than ensuring voters know that candidates like //www.city-data.com/forum/chica...-should-2.html Kennedy, Pritzker, Biss, Pawar, Dalber and Paterakis who support the status quo with Mike Madigan 17k insider votes deciding the fate for the entire state is a recipe that makes a mockery of election process -- https://ballotpedia.org/Illinois_Hou...es_District_22

Old 04-18-2017, 05:38 PM

1,067 posts, read 916,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
Um, he has been kicking the can down the road for two more years! And the debt is growing with him in charge. In spite of him and his cronies giving millions to that chick that couldn't answer what 9x3 is, ahh Leslie munger was her name she still got pummeled in the last election.
The best thing for any republican up for election is to distance themselves from Rauner. It doesn't matter who is governor right now, they need more money, now! He. An try and push his reforms and maybe some will stick, but he is burying this state by trying to get it all now, not gonna happen, ever.
You are so wrong it's not even funny. He would have turned the state around Day 1 if he could have passed his laws and signed them. They don't need more money...they need more CUTS.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:51 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Rauner's strategy is less about "being worried" than ensuring voters know that candidates like //www.city-data.com/forum/chica...-should-2.html Kennedy, Pritzker, Biss, Pawar, Dalber and Paterakis who support the status quo with Mike Madigan 17k insider votes deciding the fate for the entire state is a recipe that makes a mockery of election process -- https://ballotpedia.org/Illinois_Hou...es_District_22
According to a survey conducted by the Paul Simon Public Policy Institute at Southern Illinois University, 58% of Illinoisans disapprove of Rauner. If he's not worried, then he's an even bigger fool than I thought. His approval rating has been majority negative for more than a year now as well.

Additionally, I doubt most people are buying the folksy song and dance he's trying to sell downstate. Putting on jeans and a flannel doesn't make him a man of the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago