Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 07:56 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times

Advertisements

There are currently several Democrats that seem to want to be governor, all of whom seem very much focused on Chicago and the special weight it has in terms of Illinois legislative leaders --

Amaya Pawar -- Meet Amaya

Daniel Biss -- Illinois State Sen. Announces Democratic Run for Governor

Chris Kennedy -- The Kennedy family legacy - ABC News

J.B. Pritzker -- J.B. Pritzker leans on Sacks, Steans as he explores governor's run

None of them strikes me as particularly well suited to turn around Illinois and keep Chicago / CPS solvent. Fact remains that Rauner is the only one that really has professional experience dealing with the root cause of Illinois fiscal problems and he has personal experience with Chicago schools -- Rauner's Love-Hate Relationshio with Pension Funds

Rauner touts support for pension plan that includes CPS aid - Chicago Tribune
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 08:37 AM

210 posts, read 565,786 times
What makes Rauner well suited? What has he done exactly? I will be supporting Pawar or Bliss. Ultimately, I will vote and campaign for whichever candidate that is not Rauner.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:09 AM

Default An interesting take...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slam4444 View Post
What makes Rauner well suited? What has he done exactly? I will be supporting Pawar or Bliss. Ultimately, I will vote and campaign for whichever candidate that is not Rauner.
While I suppose there are folks that do feel "anyone would be better" it is important to understand that Bliss' success in getting elected as a State Rep and State Senator from Evanston is unlikely to garner much support across the whole of Illinois which includes cities like Peoria, Rockford, the Illinois half of the Quad Cities -- Moline & Rock Island. These voters are not going to have much confidence that Bliss understands their needs.

I fear that Pawar will run into similar issues unless he can articulate a way to use the same strategies that were successful in his Ward to the needs of schools outside of Chicago.

The problems with J.B. Pritzker and Chris Kennedy is they are "rich outsiders" who really do not bring anything to the table. In some way it would be more interesting to see J.B.'s sister Penny run -- she served as Secretary of Commerce in the Obama administration, a great way to reassure businesses that Illinois is not going to make it harder here.

I also think it would be interesting to see Chris' wife Sheila run for governor -- she worked at Sidley & Austin after graduating from NU. Her impeccable "social service" credentials come from her mom who spent 25 years as a social worker at Howard Area Community Center in Chicago. Now Sheila is running a start-up called Top Box that is kind of mash-up of Blue Apron and MarketDay that helps address issues she encountered when on the board of the Greater Chicago Food Depository. She has four kids and grew up on the Northshore -- could really use all those connections to force reforms...

Old 04-06-2017, 09:13 AM

934 posts, read 1,441,873 times
Pritzker was the first one to come to mind. His name is well-known here in Chicago, and as a result, I'm sure he has an endless amount of connections and funding to amass a strong campaign to election.

That said, even though I tend to vote Dem, I will most likely be voting for Rauner in this next election. I agree with his views on term limits and cautious nature about tax hikes, along with his support of the Independent Map amendment to reduce gerrymandering. If nothing else for the sheer fact that he has the guts to stand up to Madigan who is by far the most cancerous political figure in this state. I also don't mind Rauner because he seems to stay out of the realm of social conservatism which is one of my biggest gripes with Republican politics. He focuses more on budget issues within the state.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:18 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slam4444 View Post
If you like the insolvency status quo, Rauner isn't a good choice. It's not for lack of trying that Rauner hasn't been able to do much on the fiscal front. Madigan and his cronies are the problem and they're still kickin' the can down the street, sooner or later that ends badly for pensioners, taxpayers or both. IL can't be 47th or 50th in fiscal health forever.

https://www.mercatus.org/statefiscalrankings

Old 04-06-2017, 09:23 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
There are currently several Democrats that seem to want to be governor, all of whom seem very much focused on Chicago and the special weight it has in terms of Illinois legislative leaders --
It seems like Kennedy has the momentum among Democrats.

Me personally; I consider the entire Democratic party dead to me for what they have done in Illinois and nationally.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:26 AM

1,874 posts, read 818,617 times
CPS and the pension system are bankrupt. Plain and simple. You can't get out of those holes without serious reform. Anyone who is going to work with Madigan to continue tax and spend with no real reform should be discarded immediately. You can't tax your way out of this mess and even if you could we'd be right back where we are now in short order.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
It seems like Kennedy has the momentum among Democrats.

Me personally; I consider the entire Democratic party dead to me for what they have done in Illinois and nationally.
Even though the most recent "ex-President" was from Chicago and the prior Democrat President's Chief of Staff was Rahm Emanuel we would not want this thread to get off topic -- I really am focused on how the candidates will play out in Chicago which is critical to how Illinois goes...

Old 04-06-2017, 09:53 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
CPS and the pension system are bankrupt. Plain and simple. You can't get out of those holes without serious reform. Anyone who is going to work with Madigan to continue tax and spend with no real reform should be discarded immediately. You can't tax your way out of this mess and even if you could we'd be right back where we are now in short order.
I see no Democrat who is not going to just continue to raise taxes with no real reform. However, I suspect the people in Chicago will continue to elect the most left wing moonbat who will inflict more misery on the taxpayers.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:58 AM

1,874 posts, read 818,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I see no Democrat who is not going to just continue to raise taxes with no real reform. However, I suspect the people in Chicago will continue to elect the most left wing moonbat who will inflict more misery on the taxpayers.
which is why, at least politically, chicago should be its own state. neither chicago nor downstate care about the other and its a big reason why we are where we are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago