Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 01:19 PM

33 posts, read 29,823 times

Advertisements

During the weekend I went to visit a friend who lives in the city, close to Douglas area. I decided that since I was close to the gym ( LA Fitness) , why not workout as well. It appeared to me that this particular area where the gym is located is with mostly( around 90% ) black people. I am a white blonde female in my late twenties.
Why the heck black people stare at me so much, and black women look at me like they hate me?!
I am not a racist and i think we are all equal , no matter what skin color we have, but I don't understand why the looks? Pls explain

Old 04-10-2017, 01:23 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,294,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewithin View Post
During the weekend I went to visit a friend who lives in the city, close to Douglas area. I decided that since I was close to the gym ( LA Fitness) , why not workout as well. It appeared to me that this particular area where the gym is located is with mostly( around 90% ) black people. I am a white blonde female in my late twenties.
Why the heck black people stare at me so much, and black women look at me like they hate me?!
I am not a racist and i think we are all equal , no matter what skin color we have, but I don't understand why the looks? Pls explain
Because you're white and you were on their turf.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Because you're white and you were on their turf.
So just because I'm white... and I'm in area with lots of black people. This is a racism...

Old 04-10-2017, 01:32 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,294,784 times
Quote:
So just because I'm white... and I'm in area with lots of black people. This is a racism...
No, it's Chicago.

I'm white and if I saw a bunch of black folks giving me the side-eye, I'd find another gym.

I live in a predominantly black town, but we all mostly get along because it's small town. But there are certain neighborhoods I won't go for wings or a beer because that's their turf and they don't want white people there.

It doesn't bother me. It's not like there isn't another wing place or a bar in another section of town with friendlier blacks. *shrugs*

Old 04-10-2017, 01:33 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,135,430 times
Quote:
It is. And it isn't right.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:37 PM

903 posts, read 854,850 times
Quote:
Just because you're not a racist doesn't mean other people aren't. I'm shocked that you need this explained to you. Did you grow up in a very small town or something? I'm sure those folks giving you the evil eye are quite sorry that you felt micro-agressed.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:40 PM

6,702 posts, read 6,388,896 times
Were you wearing a Trump shirt?

Old 04-10-2017, 01:43 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,148,938 times
You all need to relax. I doubt these people have any real issue with you being white. The south side lakefront communities are starting to see a trickling in of white people, which I personally feel is a positive. I don't understand why white people in Chicago (let alone America) even pretend that their skin color has been detrimental to them ever.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
Just because you're not a racist doesn't mean other people aren't. I'm shocked that you need this explained to you. Did you grow up in a very small town or something? I'm sure those folks giving you the evil eye are quite sorry that you felt micro-agressed.
I needed explanation because I wasn't sure why they look at me so much. Few black guys tried to talk to me, and some women looked at me bad. Maybe I watch too many movies haha

Old 04-10-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
You all need to relax. I doubt these people have any real issue with you being white. The south side lakefront communities are starting to see a trickling in of white people, which I personally feel is a positive. I don't understand why white people in Chicago (let alone America) even pretend that their skin color has been detrimental to them ever.
With that being said, does that mean that this could be possibly an area where i can rent an apartment and feel safe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago