Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2008, 11:26 AM

50 posts, read 140,089 times

Advertisements

This thread is pretty pointless. There are lots of people who grew up under the same conditions as certain "yuppies" and are jealous that they don't have the wealth. Also some people just plain think that people who have wealth are yuppies just because they have money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 12:23 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,872,703 times
Default Lookout Kid

Am I a yuppie? I would say yes and no. Stuff-wise and education-wise, yes, but I also worked manual labor and grew up on a farm. You know more about my background than most on here.

Aragx,

What do you think? Yuppie or no for me? You know me pretty well also.

I am writing this message while sitting in the McDonalds at north and kedzie in Humboldt Park, a place most yuppies would not be caught dead in and I do most of my grocery shopping at Wal-Mart in Austin neighborhood, though I do buy sweets thru Jewel (don't like Dominicks as much) or local bakeries. I have never even been inside a Whole Foods and maybe once inside a Trader Joes. Not my scene.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:34 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,236,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
I have never even been inside a Whole Foods and maybe once inside a Trader Joes. Not my scene.
AND expensive.

I do all of my shopping at little local markets. and save a ton of money (I spent a little over $100 on groceries last month and YES! that includes fruits and vegetables for any naysayers that say you can't eat healthy and cheap ... but i'm only shopping for one person as well).

.... or maybe i'm just trying to be an ironic hipster by saving money.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:02 AM

10 posts, read 63,017 times
i grew up poor my whole life, and i never hated someone b/c of the money they made untill a recent trip through Scottsdale, i hated it there, i had to pick up some things for my aunt and the whole time i was walking i hear people whispering racist comments about my accent, my style, my dog, my hair, my this my that it was like this "omg did you hear her accent, what's that sp*c mutt doing here? her clothes are old, her dog is a pit bull so it must be viscious!!! she looks old in her clothes" i even heard one boy say if i wasnt wearing last WEEK'S clothes and if i weren't a "sp*c Mix" he'd actually date me...and he said other than that i was cute. Thats why i can no longer stand yuppies and i do hate them, who cares if i live in south Phoenix, it's my life not anyone else's to judge.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:49 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,257,503 times
^^^ Until the last sentence, I thought you were talking about the Scottsdale neighborhood.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:09 PM

11 posts, read 25,770 times
i want to be a yuppie too!
but i don't like jazz, and i don't eat red meat. lol.
but you can still be a young professional, appreciate fine dining and shiny things (as i do), and not have to be a hypocrite about it.
&& i blast hip hop as well.
So maybe we'll be the first of the generation of the "new" yuppies, lol.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:38 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Am I a yuppie? I would say yes and no. Stuff-wise and education-wise, yes, but I also worked manual labor and grew up on a farm. You know more about my background than most on here.

Aragx,

What do you think? Yuppie or no for me? You know me pretty well also.

I am writing this message while sitting in the McDonalds at north and kedzie in Humboldt Park, a place most yuppies would not be caught dead in and I do most of my grocery shopping at Wal-Mart in Austin neighborhood, though I do buy sweets thru Jewel (don't like Dominicks as much) or local bakeries. I have never even been inside a Whole Foods and maybe once inside a Trader Joes. Not my scene.
LOL, probably. Again, I'm a purist where the term is concerned: Young? Check. Urban? Check. Professional? Check.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:53 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedPitbull View Post
Thats why i can no longer stand yuppies and i do hate them, who cares if i live in south Phoenix, it's my life not anyone else's to judge.
Those people were just @ssholes. Only people who are very insecure about their own place in the world judge others this way. I know many people who might qualify as yuppies, and most of them are quite nice and not racist at all.

Judge people based on their own individual behavior, and don't apply blanket generalizations based on encounters with a few people. That's how you'd like to be treated yourself, right?

Old 12-08-2008, 09:17 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,872,703 times
Default Pitbull

I am always a little apprehensive when I see someone walking around with a pitbull, regardless of how they look or are dressed. I feel the same about some other aggressive breeds, but not as much. Perhaps this is because in my area people (particularly gangbangers) use pitbulls to protect themselves and their property.

I guess I am a yuppie and I date a Mexican girl. 5 ft tall and dark as hell (her words, not mine). We couldn't be any more different physically (I am 6'2 and German/Swiss) or culturally (her parents are both from Sacatacas and seldom speak English) but yet we just click, better than any relationship I have ever had (and I am almost 31 years old). I will probably end up marrying this girl, though she and I pray that the kids get some of my height.

Sorry about your experience Little Red Pitbull. A##holes come in all shapes and sizes. Please don't throw all yuppies into one category. Some of us might actually be decent people

Old 12-08-2008, 09:36 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
I don't know if I'm a yuppie or not. That term is so dated ... it just makes me think of Volvo-driving DINKs in the 80s. A lot of cliches probably apply to me in one way or another. I moved from Orange County, California to Naperville and have heard them all. Cookie cutter, white bread, minivan-driving suburban soccer mom. Whatever. I don't think I'm stuck-up, so if someone is superficial and prejudiced enough to put a bunch of silly labels on me, fine. There are worse things to be than a yuppie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago