Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 09:22 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,661,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Rats outside? I can deal with that.

Rats in my apartment? Nope. I'd ****ing move out.
I've found it easy enough to get rid of rats. Or mice. They're smart enough to know where food isn't, and I'm smart enough to make sure that they don't find any.

God help you if your neighbors are slobs, though. And to be honest I've been convinced for years that I was the only person in Chicago who regularly cleaned her damn apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 09:44 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I've found it easy enough to get rid of rats.
I've had a rat (or rats) turn a door frame into wood chips up to about an 18 inch height. That's a serious animal. I don't want that in my house ever AGAIN.

On this note, a friend of mine from suburban Milwaukee was playing with his kids today in my front courtyard, and found a dead rat half decomposed with that nasty little tail protruding from the furry rotted mess that was it's body. I was like, "Welcome to the city, kids!". But deep down I'm horrified that rats are so close to our building. And I sure as hell don't want my daughter finding one! "Hey Daddy, look what I found!" Yuck.

Last edited by Lookout Kid; 05-30-2009 at 10:18 PM..

Old 05-30-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I've had a rat (or rats) turn a door fram into wood chips up to about an 18 inch height. That's a serious animal. I don't want that in my house ever AGAIN.

On this note, a friend of mine from suburban Milwaukee was playing with his kids today in my front courtyard, and found a dead rat half decomposed with that nasty little tail protruding from the furry rotted mess that was it's body. I was like, "Welcome to the city, kids!". But deep down I'm horrified that rats are so close to our building. And I sure as hell don't want my daughter finding one! "Hey Daddy, look what I found!" Yuck.
That made me laugh out loud, Lookout. Thank you. I want that on a t-shirt.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:00 AM

264 posts, read 716,736 times
what that whole story on a t shirt?

I saw a dead rat in the middle of ashland today.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:49 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
I got to referee a rat fight on the subway platform the night before last. That was a hell of a way to cap off a very long and stressful day/evening.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:50 PM

367 posts, read 917,926 times
I've managed to seal them out of my place. For now. It takes a little work finding all the entry points. The droppings and wood chips from gnawing holes is how I find them.

I was amazed at how easily they went through a 2x4.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:05 PM

172 posts, read 438,334 times
I don't see many rats in the subway anymore but that is probably because I rarely take the subway. I was throwing some stuff away at my dad's house one day and heard something moving around in the garbage can (in the alley). I thought it must have been a squirrel since you don't normally see rats at noon. He poked his head out and I thought "man...that is one ugly squirrel!" After the whole body came out I realized it was a rat. Scared the cr@p out of me since I was only 3-4 feet away and I had opened that garbage can 5 mins earlier to throw something in.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:21 PM

367 posts, read 917,926 times
I talked to an exterminator a few months back. He said whenever you see them in the daytime you know you have a baaad problem. Rats are nocturnal and are out in the daytime when there are just too many.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:59 PM

988 posts, read 3,254,997 times
When my parents lived off of Augusta and Western in the early 70s, the rat problem was so bad that my dad saw a group of rats jumping in a sychronized manner to knock over a trash can and did after a few minutes. The trashcan had to weigh at least 50 lbs. He's still freaked out over that 40 years later, lol! I know that the old loop movie theaters(United Artists, Woods,etc) had severe rat problems too, those theaters were so gross back in the 80s(and before I'm sure). They were all torn down by 89. I live in NYC now and seeing rats here are like seeing cabs!

Old 03-05-2010, 12:09 AM

I've always wondered "why" with respect to rats. Chicago's arctic winters should kill the bastards, but they just stay alive somehow. One would think that one, just one, particularly meticulous winter season of maintenance and disposal would ensure decreases in the rat population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago