Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 03:58 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,065,670 times

Advertisements

I've seen a few where in live in Buena Park. Never seen one in the loop, except once or twice on the subway tracks.

I was walking down the alley the other day behind the Walgreens on Broadway between Addison and Waveland. Everyone calls it the "rat alley", and I certainly know why. It was like a damn rat circus going on back there. They were running around everywhere, it felt like a horror film just waiting for them to attack.

My gross story was last summer. Walking home around 12:30am to my condo on Sheridan and Buena. Walked into the little cove to open the gate into our front yard, and felt a pinch on my foot (was wearing flip flops) and heard a screech. I assumed I must have stepped on a little piece of metal or something and it bent and hit my foot and screeched on the sidewalk.

Looked down. Nope. Huge rate was running down the sidewalk, and I had a little blood on my foot. I think I stepped on the damn thing's tail and it bit me before running away. Lovely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 04:02 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,438,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
...Looked down. Nope. Huge rate was running down the sidewalk, and I had a little blood on my foot. I think I stepped on the damn thing's tail and it bit me before running away. Lovely.
I sure hope you got a rabies shot.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:29 PM

4 posts, read 5,950 times
Default Rats

You have to do some research! areas that are over populated more than one family per domicile will tend to have RATS the same with older neighborhoods once they make you area home very hard to rid the area of the problem. So drive through the alley's look for trash it's nasty but affective not just one alley check the area you are thinking of making home. an X employee of rodent control

Old 08-20-2010, 06:27 PM

226 posts, read 638,495 times
I was awakened just last week to find a doberman-sized rat carrying me down the stairwell in my highrise building.

I think he got into my apartment using one of those laser glass cutters; must have scaled the side of the building, climbed onto my 28th floor balcony, and done his worst.

Pretty average day, in retrospect.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:34 PM

226 posts, read 638,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
When my parents lived off of Augusta and Western in the early 70s, the rat problem was so bad that my dad saw a group of rats jumping in a sychronized manner to knock over a trash can and did after a few minutes. The trashcan had to weigh at least 50 lbs. He's still freaked out over that 40 years later, lol!
The mental image of this cracked me up.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:04 PM

172 posts, read 483,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by becwells View Post
Maybe that's why we don't have many rats near us -- stray cats! Although the stray we see a lot only has one eye, so who knows how great his rat catching abilities are.

Living in Logan Square, we've seen one rat since we've been here (moved in Feb). Friends of ours live in East Village, and have a major rat problem. Everytime we're over there we see at least one rat. Gross.
Yes, the problem is BAD out in that neighborhood, there is a coach-house off of hermitage & chicago that is just infested with them... You can see them running around the alley and the property the house sits on in broad daylight (which is amazing because rats are nocturnal)

Old 10-25-2010, 04:40 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,438,384 times
New rat poll (only 21 neighborhoods surveyed however) :

Rats! The Loop No. 1 in poll of 'rattiest' areas - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/10/chicago-rats-rattiest-neighborhoods-.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago