Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2017, 10:19 AM

335 posts, read 333,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compactspace View Post
There's a reason that Chicago burb's house (and its golf club) is more expensive. Same reason that a unit in Soho is more expensive than a unit in River North. I won't even start on Georgia's record on social issues.

Your experience is far from 'average' despite what your realtor told you. (In fact, it sounds very much like you and your husband are an edge case.) Why do you keep coming back here to wax lyrical on the evils of Illinois?
I'm letting close-minded people who think that the only way to enjoy life is to live in an overpriced place with sky high taxes know that they aren't speaking for everyone?!

What reason is chicago's golf more expensive? Because it's located in a more expensive, broke state? My husband has golfed all over the world... from Scotland, to Pebble Creek to Chicago Golf Club in Wheaton. The club we are joining is beyond gorgeous and challenging. Pretty sure he knows a thing or two about golf. Spending more money does not automatically mean "better"... but again, the justification for that is funny.

When you have kids, your average week revolves around family time, school and their activities. There's no argument. With the nearly 2k a month we'll be saving we can travel more, save for college, etc. I'd rather my kids see the world than say: "but... but... we live in Soho! We live in Chicagoland!" Who cares?! They aren't benefiting more from living in a more expensive place. They'll benefit from the trips we'll take every 6-8 weeks.

My point is that your blanket statements about cost of living are not correct. I am proof, and whether or not I am the "average" isn't the point. The point is that you can't assume everyone leaving is: poor, dislikes entertainment, or hasn't thought out all the costs. The thread asks why people are leaving. Why are you here saying why you aren't? That wasn't the original question to begin with.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:50 AM

11 posts, read 14,892 times
Huge number of African Americans I know have left Chicago for Atlanta,Texas and the suburbs. Crime was their number one concern.

Last edited by Gigglygiggi; 04-23-2017 at 12:30 PM..

Old 04-23-2017, 12:47 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,216,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigglygiggi View Post
Huge number of African Americans I know have left Chicago for Atlanta,Texas and the suburbs. Crime was their number one concern.
Interesting, given that Atlanta has more crime than Chicago with a significantly less population, and was on the FBI's top ten most dangerous cities list for nearly 20 years straight, whereas Chicago did not crack the top 20.

Atlanta didn't slip from the top ten (to eleven) until 2013, and that's because the crime has moved to the suburbs there (many of which are also very dangerous).

People assume Atlanta is safer than Chicago when it's actually more dangerous.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 04-23-2017 at 01:02 PM..

Old 04-23-2017, 01:06 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
There is no use arguing with someone who is happy with their move even if it was in the 90s or last year. You CANNOT convince them otherwise.

Many people are HAPPY in a SUBURBAN life-style. To argue Chicago's Urban more attributes to utilize in a World-Class city it has to offer. IS VIRTUALLY MEANINGLESS TO THEM. Happy in a MILD WINTER SUBURBIA.

I'd say BOTH SIDES CAN WIN.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Interesting, given that Atlanta has more crime than Chicago with a significantly less population, and was on the FBI's top ten most dangerous cities list for nearly 20 years straight, whereas Chicago did not crack the top 20.

Atlanta didn't slip from the top ten (to eleven) until 2013, and that's because the crime has moved to the suburbs there (many of which are also very dangerous).

I could be wrong, but since Atlanta is more spawly and suburban, crime isn't highly concentrated in one area and it's easy to avoid the dangerous areas. I have never been to Atlanta but that is my perception. As for crime, Chicago does seem to get the most bad press for it which may skew people's perception as well.

Old 04-23-2017, 02:07 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,640,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
So I actually live in DC, and over the past year I've noticed I keep meeting people from Chicago. After the first two or three people I figured it was a coincidence. Then I met another one last week, and another one today.

So I did some research and it turns out lots of people are leaving Chicago:

Chicago area leads U.S. in population loss, sees drop for 2nd year in a row - Chicago Tribune

The article gives some insight to the reasons, but I was wondering what people who actually live in Chicago have to say about it.
Metro DC is awesome. I've run the USMC 10k a couple of times and have friends in the area.

The same pattern is happening here in Arizona - lots of people from Chicago are moving here.
They call them "Snowbirds" locally.

Old 04-23-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
Metro DC is awesome. I've run the USMC 10k a couple of times and have friends in the area.

The same pattern is happening here in Arizona - lots of people from Chicago are moving here.
They call them "Snowbirds" locally.
I never thought about that but a lot of people leaving Chicago could simply be retired folks looking to settle down in warmer weather. I know a lot of people my parents age are leaving New Hampshire despite the low crime and good quality of life due to weather solely.

Old 04-23-2017, 02:24 PM

316 posts, read 654,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post

I could not have said it any better. I may have mentioned this on another thread, but I'll repeat it again. All black people moving to Atlanta from Chicago is not a good look for Atlanta. Me being black, I support educated black people and take pride in doing so. Atlanta does not attract the most educated black people that east coast such as DC, Boston and NY does.

Does anyone recall how crime spiked in Atlanta after Hurricane Katrina? The residents from New Orleans were welcomed to Atlanta and Houston and crime spiked immediately in both cities. It was out of control. During that time I was in high school and the cops were onsite collecting guns mostly from the students that had arrived from New Orleans. Hell I had to fight and defend myself after I was randomly attacked near the school bus stop. Maybe he felt I was an easy target. The first day after his suspension, he was expelled from school permanently for the possession of a pistol. To this day, I wonder who that gun was meant for for???

All I can say is I dealt with enough turmoil and ratchedness there for me to never move back and I was raised in the suburbs of Atlanta. And yes Atlanta_BD a lot of the crime there does happen in the suburbs. Due to gentrification all of the public housing in the city proper was shut down, the low income people were forced into the suburbs, which at that time ended up killing home owner's property values in including my parents. This all occured during 2005-2006 and to this day in 2017 my parent's appraised value has still not return to where it was before the turmoil. Also to add to this story, my parents subdivision has access to a community center and 18 hole golf course. If a house in the suburbs of Atlanta is bought for $350,000 it will most likely never appreciate to $550,000-600,000 like homes in New York, California or DC metro area including Northern Virginia and Maryland are known for doing. Again, there is a reason why properties in metro Atlanta are considered CHEAP... Strangely, Atlanta is the only place where I've seen criminals living right on the golf course with so call working class people. Drug dealers, fake *** wannabe rappers, entertainers and rednecks all somehow end up playing golf on the same course. I know I sound dramatic, but this has been my experience.

Crime is totally our out of control in the metro area. The murder rate may not be as high as Chicago, but you all way more likely to get robbed, your home burglarized and car stolen there.

Again, hopefully Atlanta does not have any economic issues in the future because it's going to be hell living there with transients from Chicago, New Orleans, Alabama and Mississippi.

Old 04-23-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordtwo View Post
I could not have said it any better. I may have mentioned this on another thread, but I'll repeat it again. All black people moving to Atlanta from Chicago is not a good look for Atlanta. Me being black, I support educated black people and take pride in doing so. Atlanta does not attract the most educated black people that east coast such as DC, Boston and NY does.

Does anyone recall how crime spiked in Atlanta after Hurricane Katrina? The residents from New Orleans were welcomed to Atlanta and Houston and crime spiked immediately in both cities. It was out of control. During that time I was in high school and the cops were onsite collecting guns mostly from the students that had arrived from New Orleans. Hell I had to fight and defend myself after I was randomly attacked near the school bus stop. Maybe he felt I was an easy target. The first day after his suspension, he was expelled from school permanently for the possession of a pistol. To this day, I wonder who that gun was meant for for???

All I can say is I dealt with enough turmoil and ratchedness there for me to never move back and I was raised in the suburbs of Atlanta. And yes Atlanta_BD a lot of the crime there does happen in the suburbs. Due to gentrification all of the public housing in the city proper was shut down, the low income people were forced into the suburbs, which at that time ended up killing home owner's property values in including my parents. This all occured during 2005-2006 and to this day in 2017 my parent's appraised value has still not return to where it was before the turmoil. Also to add to this story, my parents subdivision has access to a community center and 18 hole golf course. If a house in the suburbs of Atlanta is bought for $350,000 it will most likely never appreciate to $550,000-600,000 like homes in New York, California or DC metro area including Northern Virginia and Maryland are known for doing. Again, there is a reason why properties in metro Atlanta are considered CHEAP... Strangely, Atlanta is the only place where I've seen criminals living right on the golf course with so call working class people. Drug dealers, fake *** wannabe rappers, entertainers and rednecks all somehow end up playing golf on the same course. I know I sound dramatic, but this has been my experience.

Crime is totally our out of control in the metro area. The murder rate may not be as high as Chicago, but you all way more likely to get robbed, your home burglarized and car stolen there.

Again, hopefully Atlanta does not have any economic issues in the future because it's going to be hell living there with transients from Chicago, New Orleans, Alabama and Mississippi.
Interesting. Most people I knew who moved to Atlanta where either middle class families or college educated professionals.

Old 04-23-2017, 02:47 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,216,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigglygiggi View Post
I could be wrong, but since Atlanta is more spawly and suburban, crime isn't highly concentrated in one area and it's easy to avoid the dangerous areas. I have never been to Atlanta but that is my perception. As for crime, Chicago does seem to get the most bad press for it which may skew people's perception as well.
That is actually untrue, as the criminals go into the wealthy areas and rob people on the streets and kill them. Home invasions is also a big problem in Atlanta in the wealthy areas, along with kidnappings.

Even in middle-class areas, criminals go into those areas and rob people on the streets and commit home invasions.

The crime in Chicago is more concentrated and the shootings are mostly gang-related or domestic dispute. In Atlanta it is usually crimes committed against regular people going about their business who end up getting robbed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago