Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2017, 11:05 AM

749 posts, read 882,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordtwo View Post
I never said the trees were not beautiful in Georgia. The pine trees and little hills in North Georgia are pretty. Not Northern Virginia pretty, but still nice.

What places are you going to travel within a few hours of Atlanta? Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, Northern Florida? For God's sake please do not say Savannah, Charleston or Jacksonville.

I live in DC and have access to Philly, New York, Pittsburgh and Baltimore all within a few hours.

See here is where I am going to draw the line with you. We actually want two different things in life, so there is no need for us to disagree or call each other names. I don't even want a big house even though I can afford it. If I was in Georgia, I wouldn't even consider Alpharetta. I owned a condo in Dunwoody for 3 years and had a problem driving everywhere for entertainment. Dunwoody is considered a prime location in Atlanta so if areas like Dunwoody, Brookhaven and Buckhead won't cut it for me than Alpharetta would bury me. I grew up in the Atlanta suburbs and my parents had a big house, hence why I do not want any parts of the suburbs today because that came with boredom. Honestly man, I would be fine with sending my kids to private school and having a 2-3 bedroom condo in Chicago.

I do wish you well though in Alpharetta and am glad your children love it there. It is different scenery from Illinois and I can see how that's appealing. If you haven't been yet, you and the fam should go check out Chattanooga, TN. It is really scenic there and that can make for a fun weekend trip. Also if you want to go to the beach, Destin Florida is a great spot and it's only 5 hours south of Atlanta. Do not fool with any of the beaches in Georgia. I warn you.

Read more: //www.city-data.com/forum/chica...#ixzz4k5OYp7oo
You couldn't be any more out of touch with Atlanta. I came here to read up on Chicago because it's a great city, I have family roots here, and I could see myself relocating here whenever I decide to mix things up and get a fresh scenery, but I just couldn't sit back and let this post go unanswered.

Dunwoody? Seriously? You expected some awesome urban life out in Dunwoody? That place is desirable only if you have children and want to drive from strip mall to strip mall. Not only is it outside the of the Beltline, where all the action in Atlanta takes place, it's not even in the perimeter. Not a fair comparison at all. It would be like moving to Schaumburg il. or NW Indiana and being shocked that it's nothing like what your friends near the loop describe Chicago living as.

Atlanta isn't perfect but it's doing all the right things now, like investing in transit, building densely and upward, at least in the city and close-in burbs. The outter suburbs are a bit slower to come around, but no place is perfect. Also FWIW, Buckhead hasn't been cool in over a decade. You want good spots? Go to EAV, Edewood, Crescent ave in Midtown, West Midtown, Inman Park, Virginia Highlands, etc.

....With that out of the way, I do view Chicago as a financial bargain to New York, while offering much of the same amenities as a big city, and wouldn't blink an eye at relocating up there for a while (maybe longer).

Old 06-15-2017, 11:26 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,880,315 times
just be prepared to gag on the real estate taxes in Chicago; they just announced ANOTHER 10% increase coming out on the next tax bills being mailed out now...

Chicago homeowners can expect 10 percent hike in property-tax bills | Chicago Sun-Times

Old 06-15-2017, 11:29 AM

672 posts, read 750,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanConquistador View Post

....With that out of the way, I do view Chicago as a financial bargain to New York, while offering much of the same amenities as a big city, and wouldn't blink an eye at relocating up there for a while (maybe longer).
It surely is. I live in NY because my wife's job is here. I'd move to Chicago tomorrow if I could. There's something about its striving, swaggering culture that fascinates me. There are plenty of authors there. And its built environment and concentration of great things are simply fabulous. Just be ready to accept it's the lovely with the broken nose: the city makes you care deeply about it, then maddens you over and over again.

Someone in my family owns an old Lamborghini and the wounded, hand-wringing love he has for that car is a little like the love Chicagoans, past and present, have for their city.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:49 AM

6,703 posts, read 6,390,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanConquistador View Post
You couldn't be any more out of touch with Atlanta. I came here to read up on Chicago because it's a great city, I have family roots here, and I could see myself relocating here whenever I decide to mix things up and get a fresh scenery, but I just couldn't sit back and let this post go unanswered.
You weren't responding to me, but I lived in Atlanta for years and recently moved back to Chicago. There is no comparing these two cities. They are just on completely different levels. While people in Atlanta get excited about 20 story buildings going up, Chicago is building ~100 story buildings like this. >

https://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/...a-vista-tower/

And Atlanta investing in transit? C'Mon, I've been hearing about MARTA expansion for 20 years and today it's still a useless feeble transit system.

Atlanta also has no waterfront, which is a huge drawback.

Anyway, everything is bigger and better here and short of NY, Chicago is the best city in the US.

Level Up Bro! and move back to the Big Leagues!

Last edited by flamadiddle; 06-15-2017 at 12:13 PM..

Old 06-15-2017, 12:29 PM

335 posts, read 330,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
You weren't responding to me, but I lived in Atlanta for years and recently moved back to Chicago. There is no comparing these two cities. They are just on completely different levels. While people in Atlanta get excited about 20 story buildings going up, Chicago is building ~100 story buildings like this. >

https://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/...a-vista-tower/

And Atlanta investing in transit? C'Mon, I've been hearing about MARTA expansion for 20 years and today it's still a useless feeble transit system.

Atlanta also has no waterfront, which is a huge drawback.

Anyway, everything is bigger and better here and short of NY, Chicago is the best city in the US.

Level Up Bro! and move back to the Big Leagues!
Yes! Level up to the worst state in the union. Give me a break. Even Powerball is hightailing it out of here.
https://www.google.com/amp/chicago.s...et-crisis/amp/

Old 06-15-2017, 12:36 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,386,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco1234 View Post
Yes! Level up to the worst state in the union. Give me a break. Even Powerball is hightailing it out of here.
You two GET A ROOM

I love love LOVE Chicago and it's heart breaking what the politicians have done to it.
(And I'm a diehard Packer fan)

Old 06-15-2017, 12:40 PM

335 posts, read 330,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
You two GET A ROOM

I love love LOVE Chicago and it's heart breaking what the politicians have done to it.

Get a room? I don't follow.

I fell out of love with living in a corrupt and bankrupt state. Paying all of my money to feed a black hole of debt that is just getting worse. No thanks!
I can visit all the big cities anytime I want with all the money we are saving.

Last edited by Taco1234; 06-15-2017 at 12:48 PM..

Old 06-15-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
You two GET A ROOM

Agree that it easy to actually love the city ITSELF,(maybe not the weather)

but, to continue to live here, after what the politicians have done to this city/state??

sorry, I am gone in 4 more weeks

Old 06-15-2017, 01:07 PM

6,703 posts, read 6,390,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco1234 View Post
No lotto? oh no, what will we do?

There will be 460 $1M plus condos in the new Vista building and they've already sold over 25% of them as of last year. The building will not even be completed for another couple years.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2016/7/14...wer-units-sold

Not to mention all the other buildings going up like the 76 story tower in South loop, which will have 792 residential units.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2016/10/1...scraper-update

Or One Bennett Park.

http://www.relatedmidwest.com/ourcom...-bennett-park/

And on and on and on...

https://chicago.curbed.com/2015/11/2...mmission-recap

Are they building these high-end condo towers due to lack of demand?

Last edited by flamadiddle; 06-15-2017 at 01:23 PM..

Old 06-15-2017, 01:17 PM

affluent DINK yuppie types, who work downtown, and don't use a car for any reason are the types buying those units..

those arent the types of people who move into the neighborhoods, and work normal jobs, shop locally, support their local businesses, and neighborhoods and keep the city growing, and financially afloat..

THAT part of Chicago, is dying quickly, and no amount of yuppie projects in the downtown area can save the city..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago