Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2017, 12:33 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times

Advertisements

The "home improvement tax" was brought up because if the state expands sales taxes to services (not sure why we didn't already, everyone else does) it would cover the labor portion of hiring a handymen, painters, repairmen, etc.

So you could end up seeing sales taxes applied to someone coming to paint your house or do repairs. There's discussion now to make sure and exempt those services from sales taxes.

It wouldn't cover official things like a home renovation or remodeling/upgrades, those would still be exempt anyway.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:35 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,941,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out that these "nickel & dime" taxes make many people unhappy. It's a conversation that occurs on almost a daily basis. And what's there to know about a soda tax?
The county is taxing soda sales. It's pretty simple to understand. It's an obvious cash grab with the sole purpose of fixing the budget problem. Of course, it's not enough, so the county/city will soon be looking to introduce another tax.

As a newbie to the city, it's very frustrating that people complain about the taxes and financial situation, yet they continue voting for the same people over and over.

I enjoy living here and would like to stay permanently, but I have serious concerns about buying a home here because I won't be able to afford massive tax increases unless my salary increases at the same rate (unlikely).

Wait. What's a "rocket surgeon" ????? A person who performs surgery on rockets???

Old 06-22-2017, 05:42 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Wait. What's a "rocket surgeon" ????? A person who performs surgery on rockets???

Old 06-22-2017, 05:47 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,918,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
The "home improvement tax" was brought up because if the state expands sales taxes to services (not sure why we didn't already, everyone else does)
Define "everyone" please...are you saying every one of the other 49 states charges a sales tax on services????

Old 06-22-2017, 05:52 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,479,741 times
Ha, I wasn't sure if you were joking either, but your image reminded me of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acI12jO0HSQ

Old 06-24-2017, 10:51 AM

226 posts, read 381,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Here's another reason people are leaving. They are tired of getting nickeled and dimed to death.

Cook County businesses warn customers about upcoming beverage tax | WGN-TV
The anti-soda tax ads running on the radio are paid for by the national beverage corp. Why? Because they fear their soda sales will go down if this tax stays in place. Why not criticize big business instead? Chicago is going bankrupt, this city needs to start paying up.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:42 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardot View Post
The anti-soda tax ads running on the radio are paid for by the national beverage corp. Why? Because they fear their soda sales will go down if this tax stays in place. Why not criticize big business instead? Chicago is going bankrupt, this city needs to start paying up.
I actually think this is a good thing. Soda has zero nutritional value. It's nothing but pure garbage. If people drink less of it they will most certainly be better off.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:46 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,479,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I actually think this is a good thing. Soda has zero nutritional value. It's nothing but pure garbage. If people drink less of it they will most certainly be better off.
Agree, but I believe Chicago taxes bottled water too.

Old 06-24-2017, 03:04 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Agree, but I believe Chicago taxes bottled water too.
I think it is $.05/bottle vs. $.01/ounce for sweetened drinks. Overall, it will still be cheaper to get bottled water than it will be to get anything sweetened. I agree that it's a good idea. No one needs to drink that much sweetened anyway. I know some people who would drink 3-4 cans of Diet Coke or other diet drinks each day and think that was just fine, but who really needs to have that many per day? If you're going to have to spend an extra $1.44 for each 12-pack of Diet Coke, you might think twice about drinking that much.

With bottled water, I don't think it matters what size you get. I think you can get the big size and that costs the same as a smaller one, so getting the big bottle from the store would save you a bit over getting several bottles.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:27 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I had a coworker who weighed 400lbs+ and came in to work every day with a large McDonalds size Mountain Dew.

I drink one or two cans of Coke per week and am considered underweight. It's a refreshing drink to have when the weather is hot.

Life is too short to drink water your entire life. Then again, don't make your life any shorter by killing your body with a gallon of Mountain Dew every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago