Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 11:08 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,555,381 times

Advertisements

At some point I'll leave if I can convince my employer to let me work remotely. It's an interesting city, but the crime/weather/taxes/pension issues/crap schools/racial tensions are pretty taxing. Somewhere in Vermont would be ideal; my god it's a beautiful state.

Or San Diego depending on my income and holdings. Hell of a city there.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:28 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,507,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
That's a little ironic isn't it? Since your impression of Chicago reflects the superficial media narrative of the city.

At any rate... you met a few people from Chicago in DC and you think everyone is leaving. I've lived in a lot of places and have met people from all over. People from Denver in Kansas City. People from DC in Dallas. People from San Francisco in Chicago. People from Chicago in San Diego. People move around a lot and it's magnified in larger cities. You should know this as DC is one of the most transient cities in the country.
Did you read the article I posted in the OP? My thread is not all about how I keep meeting people from Chicago here in DC. Its also backed up by the article I posted.

And yes, I meet people from all over the country and the world in DC. But lately I meet more people from Chicago than anywhere else. Coincidence? Maybe. That's why we make threads and talk about things.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:33 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,388,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Did you read the article I posted in the OP? My thread is not all about how I keep meeting people from Chicago here in DC. Its also backed up by the article I posted.

And yes, I meet people from all over the country and the world in DC. But lately I meet more people from Chicago than anywhere else. Coincidence? Maybe. That's why we make threads and talk about things.
Or maybe you meet more people from Chicago in DC because Chicago is the third largest metro area in the country, and the second largest (LA) is 2600 miles away and has much better weather than either. If 5% of the people in every city moved to Wash DC, LA and then Chicago would have the most new residents for you to meet. I would expect the number of people you meet in DC from elsewhere might largely correlate to former metro size along with distance from/to, climate, jobs, economy, etc.

And the article you posted failed to acknowledge that their "data" only amounted to 0.2% of the population of Chicago leaving. Instead they tried to reinforce their headline by only noting how many people left Chicago without putting it in perspective of total metro area population.

A simple Google search would have told you there are 32 metro areas that have had bigger % declines than Chicago since 2010, some way more, just for example. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

IOW, I don't think your premise is well founded to begin with. It's an empirical observation as far as we know.

And we gave you the reasons on page 1, they were in the article you linked as well...

Last edited by Midpack; 04-18-2017 at 11:45 AM..

Old 04-18-2017, 11:44 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,507,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Or maybe you meet more people from Chicago in DC because Chicago is the third largest metro area in the country, and the second largest (LA) is 2600 miles away and has much better weather than either. If 5% of the people in every city moved to Wash DC, LA and then Chicago would have the most new residents for you to meet. I would expect the number of people you meet in DC from elsewhere might largely correlate to former metro size along with distance from/to, climate, jobs, economy, etc.

And the article you posted failed to acknowledge that their "data" only amounted to 0.2% of the population of Chicago leaving. Instead they tried to reinforce their headline by only noting how many people left Chicago without putting it in perspective of total metro area population.

A simple Google search would have told you there are 32 metro areas that have had bigger % declines than Chicago since 2010, some way more, just for example. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States
Metro size and proximity is a good point. But then I should be meeting more people from NYC and Philadelphia than Chicago. But that is not the case.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:18 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,149,772 times
Quote:
Metro size and proximity is a good point. But then I should be meeting more people from NYC and Philadelphia than Chicago. But that is not the case.
I seriously doubt there are more people from Chicago in DC than people from Philadelphia or NYC. Anecdotal evidence is interesting, but it's also anecdotal. Most of the people who leave Chicago do so for places like NWI, AZ, NC, TN, TX, etc. DC is a lateral move (at best) city-wise and is considerably more expensive. People (mainly retirees) don't move to DC for better weather and a lower COL.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:36 PM

3,468 posts, read 2,137,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco1234 View Post
Totally ridiculous blanket statements. What's interesting is in the eye of the beholder. In my opinion, the beautiful tree cover, gorgeous scenery and endless places to travel to (within a few hours drive) are wonderful reasons to raise a family in northern Georgia. Maybe you're paying $2100 now, but once you add in a family and move to Chicago burbs be prepared, if you want 4 bed/bath 3000 sq ft home) to pay $3500+ monthly. I've learned that with small children we spend 90% of our time in burbs and our kids enjoy hikes, mountains and natural beauty far more than a concrete jungle of homes with 15K taxes. We were thisclose to buying a home in naperville 2 years ago for 650k with 16k taxes ... Now we'll enjoy a gorgeous home in alpharetta with trees surrounding it, a creek behind us, serenity and beauty. Couldn't be more peaceful, and our mortgage will be around 2k (vs close to 4k). After multiple trips to Atlanta our kids cry each time we leave and say they can't wait to get back to the trees... Oh and we have multiple amenities within 5 minutes of our new home, so... I'm not sure where you're talking about that has "nothing to do". That's just idiotic.
Just be careful out there...I know you were concerned about crime/safety in La Grange previously. Unfortunately, Alpharetta's crime rate is considerably higher than that of La Grange.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Illinois.html

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...a-Georgia.html

https://patch.com/georgia/alpharetta/police-fire

Last edited by Yac; 04-26-2017 at 07:46 AM..

Old 04-18-2017, 12:39 PM

3,468 posts, read 2,137,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
I seriously doubt there are more people from Chicago in DC than people from Philadelphia or NYC. Anecdotal evidence is interesting, but it's also anecdotal. Most of the people who leave Chicago do so for places like NWI, AZ, NC, TN, TX, etc. DC is a lateral move (at best) city-wise and is considerably more expensive. People (mainly retirees) don't move to DC for better weather and a lower COL.
I'm not sure what the numbers show but I would guess you are right. Arizona seems like the most popular destination amongst retirees and the other areas mentioned seem most popular amongst young families, particularly those with single incomes or below median household incomes.

Old 04-18-2017, 01:48 PM

335 posts, read 330,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
Just be careful out there...I know you were concerned about crime/safety in La Grange previously. Unfortunately, Alpharetta's crime rate is considerably higher than that of La Grange.

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Illinois.html

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...a-Georgia.html

https://patch.com/georgia/alpharetta/police-fire

Our neighborhood is exceedingly safe, we're not concerned. Just excited!

Last edited by Yac; 04-26-2017 at 07:46 AM..

Old 04-18-2017, 03:50 PM

4,858 posts, read 7,566,062 times
Doesn't it make sense that you'd meet more people from Chicago than from Cedar Rapids or Peoria type cities?

If 1/10th of 1% of the people in those 3 cities moved to D.C. you'd meet a hell of a lot more people from Chicago. But it wouldn't mean more people were leaving Chicago population wise.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:11 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,388,129 times
Quote:
The Chicago metro area is about 50% larger than Philly, but fair point re: NYC. However, your "data" is anecdotal. Have you actually tracked how many people you've met and where they're from, from a large enough sample and for long enough to draw conclusions?

While not metro areas, but here's some fairly recent data on in-migration to DC that seems to contradict your hypothesis. From states the migration to DC has been:
  1. MD
  2. VA
  3. NY
  4. CA
  5. FL
  6. MA
  7. PA
  8. NC
  9. TX
  10. IL
https://www.scribd.com/document/2399...een&from_embed

And this from Jan 2017 says migration to DC has "slowed to a crawl" from everywhere.

https://www.pressreader.com/usa/the-...82054801702969

Last edited by Midpack; 04-18-2017 at 04:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago