Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2017, 04:26 PM

1 posts, read 652 times

Advertisements

My wife & I just sold our townhouse & rented a bigger home to accommodate our children who are back from college & live with us. They all pay rent & we enjoy each other's company. The problem started day one as we were moving in. A neighbor called the police on us because the moving truck was too loud.

Now one of my sons has planted a garden in the backyard & this same neighbor contacted the HOA & claimed it was an "eyesore" & we have been ordered to remove the fence around it. There are no rules or regulations regarding this according to the HOA. However the property manager said because the neighbor has made multiple calls we have to remove it. The owner is ok with the fence but will not trouble himself with it. What rights or recourse as renters do we have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 05:03 PM

186 posts, read 243,199 times
the owner of home is responsible to inform you of the rules and regs. Homeowners of associations can be very wary of renters, i would reach out to him and try to make friends or he will continue this pressure. As an owner he will have the upper hand. I speak as a former board member of a townhome association, at our meetings renters were not even allowed to attend board meetings. Any violations were sent directly to the owner. Every association is different however and try to get involved in the community if you intend to stay for awhile. If not, and it sounds like this neighbor is extra picky...maybe try to stick out for the duration of your lease and move on to greener pastures.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:35 PM

97 posts, read 138,236 times
Honestly this makes me soooooooooooooo mad. What disgusting people there are. Can you please tell me where your neighbor lives? People like this are a pure cancer to the world. Pure cancer.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:41 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,412,906 times
Talk to your landlord. Do not follow any direction from the property manager. Your landlord should talk directly to the HOA on your behalf.

ANd meanwhile, I would try reaching out to the neighbor.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonytime224 View Post
Honestly this makes me soooooooooooooo mad. What disgusting people there are. Can you please tell me where your neighbor lives? People like this are a pure cancer to the world. Pure cancer.

Keep in mind...this is an association, one who chooses to buy into one needs to be very aware of the rules. People who think the rules are too strict need to be in single family housing.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:41 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,233,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiegal View Post
Keep in mind...this is an association, one who chooses to buy into one needs to be very aware of the rules. People who think the rules are too strict need to be in single family housing.
You are always going to have neighbors. Even if you live in your own house, you are going to have neighbors who might complain about your fence, or the noise you make, or how you keep up your house and yard. And you may have a neighborhood association on top of that.

If you own, you have more rights (but not completely unlimited). If you rent, your rights are limited to only those rights spelled out in the lease. It is impossible for every lease and HOA to itemize every single issue that might arise. That's why they usually have a clause that states that the renter's rights are limited to only those that are specifically identified in the lease. If the lease doesn't permit a garden and/or a fence? Then you aren't entitled to one. Welcome to the world of renting.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
You are always going to have neighbors. Even if you live in your own house, you are going to have neighbors who might complain about your fence, or the noise you make, or how you keep up your house and yard. And you may have a neighborhood association on top of that.

If you own, you have more rights (but not completely unlimited). If you rent, your rights are limited to only those rights spelled out in the lease. It is impossible for every lease and HOA to itemize every single issue that might arise. That's why they usually have a clause that states that the renter's rights are limited to only those that are specifically identified in the lease. If the lease doesn't permit a garden and/or a fence? Then you aren't entitled to one. Welcome to the world of renting.
The last three sentences are pretty much my point. Owning a single family homes you have a lot less rules and restrictions than MOST associations. You share walls with your neighbors and that is different than sharing yard boundaries. I have lived in four communites, at every closing you have the rules and regs (typically before) and you can look them over...and yes they are very lengthy and specific. Things like gardens and fences are usually not allowed due to the common area. No need to welcome me to renting...I am aware of how it works.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:02 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
When it comes to HOA's you have very few rights that is why I would never consider owning a home in one or even renting is a bad idea. Think of the most miserable vindictive losers you know and put them in a room and oftentimes that is who runs these HOA's.

My grandmother lived in Triumvera in Glenview. They recently lost a lawsuit for trying to force people in wheelchairs to use the side freight entrance and that is just one example of their sad pattern of behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: