Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 06:55 PM

68 posts, read 144,580 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

Haven't logged into my account in a long time now, but I sometimes check these boards for cool information on cities all over the country. I've developed into an urban planning geek, so this is a cool forum for info on that.

Anyway, I grew up in Detroit. Moved to Florida back in '09 due to a myriad of issues. It's been great down here. I couldn't have asked for things to turn out any better.

I live in Sarasota, which is a fairly small city along the Gulf. Sarasota has been good to me, but I'm thinking of moving to Chicago now.

Growing up in Detroit, I always saw Chicago as this beacon of hope and prosperity in the Midwest. I've been there a number of times for both personal and business purposes, and I've loved it every time I've spent time in the city. It's my favorite city in the country.

I've lived without a car down here in Sarasota for about five years. The original reason for this was to save/invest money so that I could retire early. However, I actually fell in love with car-free living along the way. I now prefer to live without a car, even though I could afford a very nice car.

This is just a little background on me. But I'm writing this post because I'm thinking of moving to Chicago.

The information I'm specifically looking for is related to Chicago's livability for those without cars.

I could stay here in Sarasota and continue to live just fine. It's a nice city. But I have this urge to give Chicago a try. Plus, it's not like living without a car is all that great here in Sarasota.

However, I spend a great deal of time every week reading TOD, public transportation, and walkability reports/studies across the country, with a particular emphasis on Chicago. As such, I'm pretty familiar with the city as a whole.

The issue I have with the idea of moving/living there is that it seems like the city is a bit more car-dependent than I initially figured it'd be. The percentage of commuters using public transportation in Chicago has come up as being less than 30% (via various studies and surveys), which is actually quite a bit below other cities like Philly, SF, and Boston (and most certainly NYC, which is on a different plane of existence). One has to think that a good chunk of the ~27% of transit users in Chicago use transit due to economic reasons (rather than choice), which makes me wonder just how many young professionals are actually using/preferring CTA.

And the city's Walkscore doesn't fare as well as some of these other cities, either, probably due to the development/crime issues in vast sections of the city's west and south neighborhoods.

Moreover, I've read quite a few posts in this forum and Reddit which seem to indicate that a lot of upwardly-mobile people in otherwise desirable neighborhoods (LV, LP, WP, etc.) own/drive cars in Chicago pretty frequently.

Lastly, my life isn't going to revolve around working in the Loop. I work from home now as a writer. And I'm also looking to become a personal trainer down the road. So I won't be using the L to get to/from the Loop. I looked up some bus routes going from, say, parts in LP to WP, and the bus lines took 20-30 minutes to go just 3-4 miles. It seems to be better to walk, which is kind of disappointing for a city of Chicago's size/stature. From everything I've looked at, Chicago's public transportation is primarily designed to get workers to/from the Loop (via the L). If you live in one neighborhood but work in or frequent another, ESPECIALLY if you're going east-west, the transit leaves a lot to be desired. I've even spent quite a few hours touring some of the Northside neighborhoods via Google Maps, and I was shocked by how many surface lots and cars I saw everywhere, with very few people walking around. That's also something I noticed when I visited Chicago last, in October. So many cars. So few people walking around, even in neighborhoods that seem designed for walking/L/buses. I actually think I saw more people biking than walking in some spots. I mean, the Loop was crazy. Very busy with workers and tourists. But I didn't see that much action in Wicker Park, for instance. A lot of cars everywhere, though.

If I were to move to Chicago, I'd be doing so for the city. I'd be moving/living there for the urbanity, walkability, CTA, parks, architecture, history, etc. I primarily work from home, so I'm not moving there for a job. I still have some family and friends in Michigan, but that's really just a bonus. My motivation for this idea simply comes from my affection for the city. I'd prefer to live in Lincoln Park or Lakeview, likely in a small studio by the lake. But I don't want to move up there if I have overestimated Chicago's transit and walkability. If many other young professionals choose to own/drive cars in Chicago, even in solid neighborhoods, that seems to indicate there's a car culture there that I'm not really interested in. It almost seems like even in Chicago, people take public transit because they have to, not because they want to. And the last thing I want to do is go somewhere else where I'm kind of a weirdo because I walk/bus everywhere.

My main question is this:

Is living in a Northside or NW neighborhood (Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park, etc.) truly designed for living a cosmopolitan, walkable, car-free existence across the entire city, even if your work/life doesn't revolve around getting to/from the Loop, or have I completely misread Chicago's urbanity?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this. I hate writing so much, but this is a decision that's probably going to impact the rest of my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 07:46 PM

4,652 posts, read 4,968,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfieber View Post

If I were to move to Chicago, I'd be doing so for the city. I'd be moving/living there for the urbanity, walkability, CTA, parks, architecture, history, etc. I primarily work from home, so I'm not moving there for a job. I still have some family and friends in Michigan, but that's really just a bonus. My motivation for this idea simply comes from my affection for the city. I'd prefer to live in Lincoln Park or Lakeview, likely in a small studio by the lake. But I don't want to move up there if I have overestimated Chicago's transit and walkability. If many other young professionals choose to own/drive cars in Chicago, even in solid neighborhoods, that seems to indicate there's a car culture there that I'm not really interested in. It almost seems like even in Chicago, people take public transit because they have to, not because they want to. And the last thing I want to do is go somewhere else where I'm kind of a weirdo because I walk/bus everywhere.
It sounds like your "affection" is very much conditional on Chicago and Chicagoans behaving exactly the way you believe they should. This is a recipe for disappointment and maybe even resentment, in my opinion.

That Algren quote about how loving Chicago is like loving a woman with a broken nose is very, very real. They can build a fancy apartment complex with a boutique donut shop charging $50 a dozen next to every 'L' stop in the city, but it won't change the fact that you have to tolerate a certain amount of ugliness in order to live here. Otherwise, you will hate the place.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
It sounds like your "affection" is very much conditional on Chicago and Chicagoans behaving exactly the way you believe they should. This is a recipe for disappointment and maybe even resentment, in my opinion.

That Algren quote about how loving Chicago is like loving a woman with a broken nose is very, very real. They can build a fancy apartment complex with a boutique donut shop charging $50 a dozen next to every 'L' stop in the city, but it won't change the fact that you have to tolerate a certain amount of ugliness in order to live here. Otherwise, you will hate the place.
Sure. Right. Well, I'm well aware of Chicago's warts. Notice I didn't drone on about the crime, corruption, weather, etc. I've been there enough to know it has plenty of issues.

I'm rather looking for "on-the-ground" info re: car-dependency/usage among the residents, knowing full well C-D forum users are just a small sample size.

Your response implied that my concerns have merit.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:01 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,517,350 times
Yes, it is quite easy to live in many North and Northwest side neighborhoods without a car.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Yes, it is quite easy to live in many North and Northwest side neighborhoods without a car.
Thanks!

Would you say it's common for those who could easily afford a car to voluntarily live without one in the city? If so, why all the cars and parking?

Old 05-01-2017, 08:16 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,336 times
I've personally lived on the North Side between 3 neighborhoods (Edgewater, Rogers Park, and Lakeview) over the last 7.5 years and I've done so without a car for probably about 7 of those 7.5 years. I've only needed to borrow or rent one on rare occasions, and those occasions have usually involved moving, having to buy a piece of furniture, or traveling outside of the city. You are right about the L being designed to get people to and from the Loop. The non-express buses can also be quite slow since they're stopping every 2 blocks or so and getting snarled in with traffic. I frankly prefer to take Uber or Lyft when going east/west in the city for long distances. You'll find the Uber Pool and Lyft Line prices are usually not too much more than the CTA's fares, so that's how I've made peace with that. I also have a friend who takes Uber or Lyft into the Loop everyday from Bucktown because it's only about $2.50.

That being said, of my friends and coworkers my age (I'm in my mid-20s), I only know about 5 people who own cars. I actually know more people who have gotten rid of their cars in my age range than those who have personally bought them. That being said, some younger people (my age into their 30s) do own cars simply because they can on the North Side. They like them, they can afford dedicated parking spots, etc, but even they don't drive them every single place they go. It's frankly too much of a hassle on much of the North Side. The people I do know who drive regularly also typically live in non-North Side neighborhoods that are more auto oriented. Chicago has 227 sq miles of non-water land, and it certainly wasn't all developed the same. The city has an extensive single family home bungalow belt that makes a semi circle around the city. You really wouldn't need or frankly even want to live car free in many of those bungalow belt neighborhoods. Hell, many of the newer bungalows (relatively speaking) even have driveways.

I do think you will find this link useful though. It shows how the city commutes to work on the census tract level: How Chicago Commutes

As you can see, the north lakefront has the highest public transportation shares in the city.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
I've personally lived on the North Side between 3 neighborhoods (Edgewater, Rogers Park, and Lakeview) over the last 7.5 years and I've done so without a car for probably about 7 of those 7.5 years. I've only needed to borrow or rent one on rare occasions, and those occasions have usually involved moving, having to buy a piece of furniture, or traveling outside of the city. You are right about the L being designed to get people to and from the Loop. The non-express buses can also be quite slow since they're stopping every 2 blocks or so and getting snarled in with traffic. I frankly prefer to take Uber or Lyft when going east/west in the city for long distances. You'll find the Uber Pool and Lyft Line prices are usually not too much more than the CTA's fares, so that's how I've made peace with that. I also have a friend who takes Uber or Lyft into the Loop everyday from Bucktown because it's only about $2.50.

That being said, of my friends and coworkers my age (I'm in my mid-20s), I only know about 5 people who own cars. I actually know more people who have gotten rid of their cars in my age range than those who have personally bought them. That being said, some younger people (my age into their 30s) do own cars simply because they can on the North Side. They like them, they can afford dedicated parking spots, etc, but even they don't drive them every single place they go. It's frankly too much of a hassle on much of the North Side. The people I do know who drive regularly also typically live in non-North Side neighborhoods that are more auto oriented. Chicago has 227 sq miles of non-water land, and it certainly wasn't all developed the same. The city has an extensive single family home bungalow belt that makes a semi circle around the city. You really wouldn't need or frankly even want to live car free in many of those bungalow belt neighborhoods. Hell, many of the newer bungalows (relatively speaking) even have driveways.

I do think you will find this link useful though. It shows how the city commutes to work on the census tract level: How Chicago Commutes

As you can see, the north lakefront has the highest public transportation shares in the city.
Thanks so much. This is exactly the kind of firsthand info I'm looking for. I've been to Chicago quite a few times, but it's one thing to visit and quite another to live there.

That link is great. I can't believe I haven't yet come across it over the last couple years.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfieber View Post
Thanks so much. This is exactly the kind of firsthand info I'm looking for. I've been to Chicago quite a few times, but it's one thing to visit and quite another to live there.

That link is great. I can't believe I haven't yet come across it over the last couple years.
I'll also add that it's my understanding that Chicago's car-free population continues to grow. I also know many people who love to bike to work either with their own bikes or with Divvy, Chicago's bikeshare system.

Additionally, in your original post you mentioned not seeing a lot of people walking around while using Google Maps, but I would frankly recommend getting out and experiencing the parts of the North Side you have in mind on a summer day. The main streets are usually full of people, restaurants with outdoor seating on the sidewalks, etc. Now is every random residential street packed with people? No, but the main thoroughfares in those neighborhoods certainly are on a daily basis.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
I'll also add that it's my understanding that Chicago's car-free population continues to grow. I also know many people who love to bike to work either with their own bikes or with Divvy, Chicago's bikeshare system.

Additionally, in your original post you mentioned not seeing a lot of people walking around while using Google Maps, but I would frankly recommend getting out and experiencing the parts of the North Side you have in mind on a summer day. The main streets are usually full of people, restaurants with outdoor seating on the sidewalks, etc. Now is every random residential street packed with people? No, but the main thoroughfares in those neighborhoods certainly are on a daily basis.
Yeah, the Divvy is pretty great. I didn't use it when I was up there in October, but I saw stations all over. Very cool. And the new lanes going up all over are great. I'm not a big biker personally, but I'm very pro-bike growth.

Yeah, I agree on Google Maps. I was up there in October and got a good look around. Spent a lot of time in various N and NW neighborhoods. I guess I just expected to see more people walking and less cars. It was kind of shocking to see so may cars whipping around these neighborhoods, along with cars jamming every single possible parking space pretty much everywhere. I guess I can be a bit idealistic sometimes, but I also understand not everyone thinks/acts like I do. Nonetheless, I just don't want to go somewhere if I'm going to stick out (like I do down here). Not that I care what others think, but one tends to desire to be around like-minded people.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:50 PM

To be fair to Chicago, even super dense NYC, which is majority car-free, is still choked with traffic. It's always going to be a major part of city living.

That being said, if you really want to see how little some North Side residents use their cars, just wait until snows. I've seen many cars on my block in Lakeview stay snow covered for more than a week before. Some people go out and clean off their cars just to make it not so obvious that the thing hasn't moved in awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago