Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 08:14 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times

Advertisements

If the building were torn down, it will require the rebuilding of the Clark/Lake CTA station, the most complex and possessing the most lines (5 elevated and one subway)

I agree with Dave: this is a unique structure, serves the role as a grand public space, so rare these days. I belive itvwas Blair Kemin in the Trib that showed how the building could be turned open air, centered on the grand open space in the middle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 08:24 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Seems the new Governor WILL sign a bill for the departure of State offices from the Thomson Center and eventual sale. Just makes sense more and more .... as the State isn't going to do necessary long neglected repairs and selling is the best option to save it one way or another.

I have faith today .... that Preservationist WILL fight tooth and nail to save it from a total destruction. A re-purpose and new owner just best option now. Its lobby is just too unique and still futuristic looking, to not value its scope.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2019/2/15...-sale-pritzker

Old 02-18-2019, 08:44 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Although aesthetically pleasing, I have heard multiple reports detailing how it fails ever measure in terms of efficiency and utility including the huge numbers of single pane windows creating an HVAC nighmare, to the bad layout for office design, to the nonstandard design making things like running electrical and network wire costing multiples of what it should. It is a money pit and disaster and building it was another Illinois fail.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:52 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,253,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Although aesthetically pleasing, I have heard multiple reports detailing how it fails ever measure in terms of efficiency and utility including the huge numbers of single pane windows creating an HVAC nighmare, to the bad layout for office design, to the nonstandard design making things like running electrical and network wire costing multiples of what it should. It is a money pit and disaster and building it was another Illinois fail.
Exactly. Nobody in their right mind would decide to keep this building. If the state’s finances were different, then an argument could be made.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:35 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,320,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Its lobby is just too unique and still futuristic looking, to not value its scope.[/url]
I always lost my sense of direction in there.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:52 AM

Seems most agree with the Gov to finally sell. But don't you see any reason for a NEW BUYER to re-purpose and give it the necessary up-grades..... just not the Sate and tax $$$.

The glass ails were NT the original costlier ones proposed. A cheaper alternative was used sadly too for issues.

I DO HOPE the building IS SAVED. So I hope Preservationist, at least are successful in that. A added skyscraper incorporating the building attached to it could do that. But sad to see the plaza go. The Loop have these buildings Plazas .... keep some openness from all canyon. Something Manhattan lacks.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:20 AM

629 posts, read 543,611 times
They aren't going to sell it, just use it as "revenues" for this year's budget so they don't look as totally incompetent as they truly are, just like Rauner did the last few years.

NOBODY is going to buy that crappy building and lot for 300 million and be forced to upgrade the el station on top of it, especially as we are ending a very long economic cycle now with short term rates higher than long term rates (read: new commercial real estate development is going to start to dry up rapidly)

Old 02-19-2019, 08:38 AM

3,924 posts, read 6,836,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smegmatite View Post
They aren't going to sell it, just use it as "revenues" for this year's budget so they don't look as totally incompetent as they truly are, just like Rauner did the last few years.

NOBODY is going to buy that crappy building and lot for 300 million and be forced to upgrade the el station on top of it, especially as we are ending a very long economic cycle now with short term rates higher than long term rates (read: new commercial real estate development is going to start to dry up rapidly)
I disagree. That lot is one of the best located lots in the entire loop and it's an entire block. I'm not sure if they will be able to fetch full asking but it's very likely that someone will come in and offer an unprecedented amount for it.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:14 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I DO HOPE the building IS SAVED. So I hope Preservationist, at least are successful in that. A added skyscraper incorporating the building attached to it could do that. But sad to see the plaza go. The Loop have these buildings Plazas .... keep some openness from all canyon. Something Manhattan lacks.
Why so it can be a hideously expensive to maintain glass sculpture and monument to Illinois' incompetence? It cannot be made efficient and usable by any reasonable amount of money might as well tear it down and rebuild a working building. It is the perfect metaphor for Illinois government. Let's do something that looks/sounds good without considering the long term consequences and be uberscr#wed later.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Why so it can be a hideously expensive to maintain glass sculpture and monument to Illinois' incompetence? It cannot be made efficient and usable by any reasonable amount of money might as well tear it down and rebuild a working building. It is the perfect metaphor for Illinois government. Let's do something that looks/sounds good without considering the long term consequences and be uberscr#wed later.
My point wasn't to claim the STATE should keep it. I said I agree with the new Gov to Sell it .... since the State isn't going to invest in it to save it. So SELLING is my point.

I just see it as a 80s Architectural significant City Structure. It was no plain box modernist but built for just a office to work in. My least favorite is Daley Center. Color Look. The Plaza gets great uses thought.

Sure Thomson is inefficient. The glass shell not going with the superior recommended glass the Architect had. Was a mistake from the start. But some structures .... though grandiose in scope for its purpose of a cubicle at your desk to work in. I see the Thomson as worthy of salvaging. Just not the State I concede will ever happen.

This building was over the Top for merely State offices. But that makes it significant too by its total uniqueness. Not its failures in cost to maintain ..... loooooong neglected by the State to at least alleviate it. When I heard even Carpeting is old etc. It needs to be out of the States heads TO SAVE IT.

Heck, every State Capitol is Grandiose and certain costly to maintain too. But they have the States Pride and Stature behind them from previous eras. My State Capitol is huge and one of the most ornate in artworks to its exterior.

Nothing I intended as Political or say the State MUST put the millions in. I realize it is not and ..... the Gov is said to sign the bill to proceed with the vacating and then eventual selling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago