Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 09:19 AM
C&B C&B started this thread

70 posts, read 130,097 times

Advertisements

Just want to say, the more I travel to the east coast the more I appreciate living near Chicago. Except for maybe those who can't afford to live in Manhattan, how is Chicago not the best city the US to live in or near?

Manhattan is surrounded by undesirable parts of NYC, the industrial southern end of CT, the trashiest parts of NJ (not only the slums but also the marshy industrial areas).

The Statue of Liberty, Times Square, the Twin Towers Memorial, seeing them once is enough - they're not a quality of life booster.

Chicago has more than enough culture.

Hills are a nuisance. Good ol' flat Chicago is convenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 10:15 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times
I agree.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:19 AM

3,920 posts, read 6,833,898 times
I think a lot of people would argue for NY too. New York clearly has more high paying jobs and wealthy residents. It also has Central Park which is gorgeous and unique. Lastly, I would definitely say New York has a stronger presence in film and pop culture. You can immediately recognize New York in any setting, whereas Chicago is a little more subtle in most films.

Not to say Chicago isn't amazing, it is. I love Chicago for it's beaches, lakefront, neighborhood feel close to downtown, cleanliness and culture. New York is go, go, go while Chicago is a little more laid back.

Both have awesome food, awesome architecture, and lots and lots to do!

Old 05-05-2017, 11:29 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
From what I have seen, i agree.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:52 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&B View Post
Manhattan is surrounded by undesirable parts of NYC, the industrial southern end of CT, the trashiest parts of NJ (not only the slums but also the marshy industrial areas).
Ehh, I don't know about that. Manhattan is surrounded by the most expensive areas in the country. I am pretty sure even Hoboken, NJ rents are more expensive than any Chicago neighborhoods.
And NYC certainly doesn't have a shortage of upscale suburbs in any direction.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:03 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,170,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Ehh, I don't know about that. Manhattan is surrounded by the most expensive areas in the country. I am pretty sure even Hoboken, NJ rents are more expensive than any Chicago neighborhoods.
And NYC certainly doesn't have a shortage of upscale suburbs in any direction.
Some northern NJ suburbs are nice, but places like Elizabeth, NJ? Not so much.

I think both NYC and Chicago are great places to live. NYC is undeniably the best urban experience in the country with Chicago being the clear runner up. I personally feel Chicago is more livable overall. There's more open space, housing units are larger, it's cleaner and more easily navigable, considerably more affordable, etc., but NYC is clear winner regarding amenities/things to do. In another life I'd have spent a few years roaming around NYC, but I'm very happy with my life in Chicago.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:20 PM

Buildings and structures around nyc are old and dirty looking and the traffic around NYC and between NY and NJ is horrendous. Those two count for a lot, in my opinion . Also, what about the f- this f-that and general rudeness factor of the NYC/NJ area? And the cleanliness vs trashy and smelly argument is notorious. What about all the freakin snow the East Coast gets? The last 2 or more Chicago winters have been mild regarding cold temperatures and snow.

Last edited by C&B; 05-05-2017 at 12:35 PM..

Old 05-05-2017, 01:07 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but is the nearest beach attraction to Manhattan the one in Ocean City MD which is 5 hours away? Chicago has its beaches within the city and less than an hour away at Indiana Dunes Beach.

And for skiing, its over 5 hours to Vermont when Chicago families have skiing and other attractions in The Dells just a couple of hours away.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:27 PM

3,920 posts, read 6,833,898 times
Quote:
Buildings and structures around nyc are old and dirty looking and the traffic around NYC and between NY and NJ is horrendous. Those two count for a lot, in my opinion . Also, what about the f- this f-that and general rudeness factor of the NYC/NJ area? And the cleanliness vs trashy and smelly argument is notorious. What about all the freakin snow the East Coast gets? The last 2 or more Chicago winters have been mild regarding cold temperatures and snow.
Chicago winters are far more notorious than New York winters. My NY friends all used to sympathize with me about the winters here. It's only within the last few years that NY has surpassed Chicago on the ****ty winter scale.

The cleanliness factor is no doubt a non-contest. Chicago wins, hands down.

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but is the nearest beach attraction to Manhattan the one in Ocean City MD which is 5 hours away? Chicago has its beaches within the city and less than an hour away at Indiana Dunes Beach.

And for skiing, its over 5 hours to Vermont when Chicago families have skiing and other attractions in The Dells just a couple of hours away.
The beaches around NY are within an hour in most cases. Beaches exist in the bronx, sandy hook, new jersey, long island and even the hamptons if you're wealthy enough to gain access. I personally would love to live on a real sandy ocean beach as opposed to the man made rock-sand Chicago calls a beach. Our beaches don't quite compare with real beaches, Indiana dunes being the exception but that is literally an hour away. I think Chicago beaches are nice but so are the availability and quality of beaches near New York. This argument is a wash IMO.

Lastly, I wouldn't compare Dells to Vermont in skiing, ever... There is much better skiing available to New Yorkers than Chicagoan's. We live in the flat lands after all...

Old 05-05-2017, 01:32 PM

636 posts, read 611,519 times
Quote:

Are you seriously unaware of Coney Island? The Jones? etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago