Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2017, 05:36 AM

909 posts, read 544,803 times

Advertisements

Chicago is definitely a city on the move.
City issues plan for 760 acres along Chicago River, likely to bring building boom - Chicago Tribune
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 09:04 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tiger View Post
I'm always happy to see development in Chicago. I would like to see more focus on the south and west sides though. I guess that's hard to control with market driven development but is there any room for river development south of Cermak on the Lower West Side and South Lawndale?

Old 05-10-2017, 09:23 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,168,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I'm always happy to see development in Chicago. I would like to see more focus on the south and west sides though. I guess that's hard to control with market driven development but is there any room for river development south of Cermak on the Lower West Side and South Lawndale?
That won't happen until this area fills in.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:14 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,166,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
That won't happen until this area fills in.
Eventually, I think the area between 18th, Canalport, Damen, and Archer will have some good opportunities along the River. If that happens before 2040, I'd be surprised. Once interest in that stretch bubbles up, the CTA could complete the southern Pink-to-Orange segment of the Circle Line to add 1-2 stops on the new segment, and also a stop at Canal/Cermak for the Orange Line (which would also make those buildings on the west side of the River along Cermak more accessible to transit commuters), and it might not even be out of the question to add an Orange Line station at Loomis to improve access to Bridgeport and that land north of the River in that vicinity. But, again, that's pretty long-range planning at this point. But if the two parcels of land along the River north and south of Roosevelt get built out and prove successful, it would only be natural for the city to keep pushing development near the river south from there. At some point a Canal subway starts to make even more sense again. Perhaps by 2050 we'll see that whole stretch of river between Roosevelt and Halsted built up and a Canal subway

Old 05-10-2017, 06:26 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
This is great, though it would have been ideal to have even more parkland since there's so much riverfront that this encapsulates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: