Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 11:02 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,441,745 times

Advertisements

Department stores in general kind of suck. Macy's has a lower-mid-market approach which means overpriced crap from Bangladesh with recognizable brand names from corporations that push out styles engineered to appeal to the most people without completely pleasing anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 11:41 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,912,445 times
But if you're not dressing to impress someone ( and I believe most people aren't), then why not buy discounted clothes? I bought shirts/pants from Sears for decades, because they were presentable/respectable, and because they were not expensive..

Old 02-19-2019, 01:04 PM

85 posts, read 69,456 times
I was thinking that it's not totally amazon that is closing stores but places like tj max, khols, marshalls. Why spend more? I think these discoint stores brought down jc penny and Sears and may be will bring down macys

Old 02-19-2019, 02:08 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefuturehereanow View Post
I was thinking that it's not totally amazon that is closing stores but places like tj max, khols, marshalls. Why spend more? I think these discoint stores brought down jc penny and Sears and may be will bring down macys
I go in TJ's and Kohl's by me. Both in a newer shopping development and the once vibrant mall nearby. Already list is Sears, Penny's and Bon Ton. But Kohl's you have to play it with coupons and their credit card thing I hate.

I've noticed some drop I'm men's Clothing quality too. I use to get great deals on clearance. Still some, but much less. TJs I've noticed they reduced the rack-space they use to have for the men's dept also. Never had men's shoes. But their sister store does.

I can go further and a Burlington Coat Factory with one in Naperville too. Shoes there too. They can all work for me as I by what I like at the price I prefer. Over newest trends. But prefer the better brands then a Walmart. But did there too. They hurt the Sears, Penny's etc. a lot too. Macy's I really don't a further mall still as one though.

Still be sad to see them all totally gone. The Mall experiences of the 80s 90s ..... are mostly gone. Must that survive will be highest-end stores, and or those that draw travelers from greater distances as the online buying trend continues rising as more normal today.

Far more older people as myself. I see shopping in a Kohl's and others. If it wasn't for the Phone stores and theater in the olé mall by me .... Not many young people would even be seen there, as they once were big with the youngest buyers and a hangout for some.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:05 PM

884 posts, read 623,679 times
I walked past the State St. Macy's about an hour ago (Fri., Feb. 22). One face of the famous clock at State and Washington had the time as 11:45 and another face had 11:50.

This is indicative of the lack of maintanance shown by Macy's toward a building which was a Chicago retailing icon.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:24 PM

78,361 posts, read 60,556,941 times
There are also a lot of websites out there that sell barely used or never worn high-end stuff for a fraction of the cost.

The deck is indeed stacked these days against the brick & mortar.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:18 PM

1,022 posts, read 773,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearwest View Post
I walked past the State St. Macy's about an hour ago (Fri., Feb. 22). One face of the famous clock at State and Washington had the time as 11:45 and another face had 11:50.

This is indicative of the lack of maintanance shown by Macy's toward a building which was a Chicago retailing icon.
Used to be one of my favorite places. Now it depresses me to see it.

Old 02-23-2019, 05:50 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,828,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearwest View Post

St. Macy's? Hell no!!!!! More like Devil Macy's

Old 03-23-2019, 11:13 PM

10 posts, read 15,656 times
Default Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Tradition.
Ditto

Macy's is still Marshall Fields and Willis Tower is still Sears Tower 😉

Or - yep the building formerly known as.....

Most Chicagoans get us diehards who refuse to yield. Generations calling it those former names don't start me on the memories....

Old 03-27-2019, 05:30 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,097,725 times
Mainly tradition but honestly Macy's sucks. Its been a while since I've been in one but typically they'll have 1-2 employees for an entire floor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago