Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 02:00 PM

3 posts, read 2,788 times

Advertisements

Hola! My girlfriend and I are looking at apartments in Chicago, and trying to figure out the safest/most affordable neighborhoods is...daunting. We really need some help!

We're both in our early 30's, and I will be working in the CBOT building in the financial district. I'd like to find a place in a neighborhood that's safe, budget-friendly, walkable, and has good transit options for work while my girlfriend looks for full-time employment.

Our monthly budget for rent needs to be at or below $1500/month. Based on this, what areas of Chicago should we focus our search on when we come to town next week to look for an apartment?

Any help is MUCH appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 02:24 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,579,676 times
Ravenswood by the Damen or Montrose brown line stops. But there are many other attractive places that fit your criteria.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:01 PM

thanks!

Old 05-18-2017, 05:58 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,954 times
You are not the 1st person to ask these questions. I agree with TBideon, I love Ravenswood. Your budget is pretty good, shouldn't have problems finding something nice. I'd recommend looking at places along the brown line. Also, do a search of the forum.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:37 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
Yes looking along the brown line is good. Most places along there are safe. Other places to look Lincoln Square, North Center, Lakeview, esp Southport Corridor, Roscoe Village, Wicker Park/Bucktown, Logan Square, Ukrainian Village. Not all along brown line and may not all be that affordable. Some are closer to the downtown area than others.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:23 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
Anything on the brown line or red line North will generally be a safe area. I would pick out a few places in different neighborhoods and see which one has a vibe that fits your personalities.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:36 PM

Geez everybody! Thanks for all the info! This is super helpful!!!!

Old 05-21-2017, 03:39 PM

92 posts, read 92,217 times
Blue line north is also a great option, and the blue line will take you right to the board of trade building. Look into Wicker Park, Logan Square, and Bucktown!

Old 05-21-2017, 05:16 PM

1,067 posts, read 915,775 times
Ravenswood??? Nice area but will take you easily an hour door to door to get downtown to the CBOT cause the Brown line is sooooooo slooooooowww. I used to live right near the Southport brown line stop and it took forever for me to get downtown.

Look closer to downtown. I'm seeing a ton of 1 bedrooms for less than $1,500 available in Pilsen (pink line) or Noble Square / West Town (Chicago/Grand blue line stop). Pink line from 18th stop will be a little faster than ravenswood and blue line from Chicago/grand will be a ton faster. That's where I'd live.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:59 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,180,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
Ravenswood??? Nice area but will take you easily an hour door to door to get downtown to the CBOT cause the Brown line is sooooooo slooooooowww. I used to live right near the Southport brown line stop and it took forever for me to get downtown.

Look closer to downtown. I'm seeing a ton of 1 bedrooms for less than $1,500 available in Pilsen (pink line) or Noble Square / West Town (Chicago/Grand blue line stop). Pink line from 18th stop will be a little faster than ravenswood and blue line from Chicago/grand will be a ton faster. That's where I'd live.
Although Pilsen is up and coming, unless this person is accustomed to city living I would recommend Lakeview near the Southport, Paulina or Addison Brown Line stops, North Center near the Irving Park Brown Line,Wicker Park near the Division and Ashland or Damen Blue Line stops, or West Loop. West Loop may be too pricey though. The reason I say that is because although you should watch your surroundings anywhere in a large city, those areas are still quite a bit safer than Pilsen. The Brown Line is a little slower, but just wanted to make the OP know of the trade off.

Last edited by fusillirob1983; 05-22-2017 at 05:59 AM.. Reason: Typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago