Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 07:36 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times

Advertisements

ok ok, I guess I don't like the fact that I might be on some random tourists' cameras. there, that's the real reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 07:56 PM

904 posts, read 2,873,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Hey, if you don't appreciate what the tourists are doing to help your city's economy, then send some of them to Scranton! We could use an influx of these "annoyances."
You know I actually was a tourist in Scranton once, sort of.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:12 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Hey, if you don't appreciate what the tourists are doing to help your city's economy, then send some of them to Scranton! We could use an influx of these "annoyances."
Got that right! I'm happy people actually want to come here and spend their money. But sometimes it's hard to remember that when you just want to get home from work after a long day and a tourist is gumming up the works...

Old 03-10-2008, 09:06 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
I heartily agree, that while I appreciate them and their money, they drive me just a little bit crazy.

I told the SO that even if money weren't an option I wouldn't want to live in River North because the tourists annoyed me even when I was a tourist!

We have a running joke that whenever discussing where to get dinner when we're in that area I look at him and say "Let's get some TGIFridays... I love that place" and he'll argue and say "Naw... Chili's is way better"

Maybe it's not nice to make fun of them, but seriously there's 3 million restaurants and you see these families packed inside Applebee's- WTF??

Old 03-10-2008, 09:10 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,634,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
We have a running joke that whenever discussing where to get dinner when we're in that area I look at him and say "Let's get some TGIFridays... I love that place" and he'll argue and say "Naw... Chili's is way better"
What, no love for Rainforest Cafe or Bubba Gump Shrimp?

Old 03-10-2008, 09:23 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
You know those are horrible horrible chains yes, but at least most places don't have them.

A tourist could want to go because they've never been to now before. Even people who come from large towns usually have an Applebee's or Chili's nearby. I meant here's 1,965 Applebees in 49 states as opposed to Rainforest, which has less than 30 locations.

But yes, yuck yuck yuck. I went to a Bubba Gump in Daytona and it was awful.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:41 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
ok ok, I guess I don't like the fact that I might be on some random tourists' cameras. there, that's the real reason.
I agree. I'll be all dressed up on Saturday night having a great time with friends or a date on Mag Mile/across from Grant Park/etc. and I'll look ahead and there are groups of people taking lots of pictures from close by and across the street. Makes me feel uncomfortable and they don't even ask me to sign a release.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:49 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
I say you should just make the most of it. From now on I'm going to either wave at the camera or make a silly face or gesture. If I'm going to be in their "Chicago Vacation" photo, why not stand out?

Actually, it reminds me of a time that I was a tourist in New York many years ago. I had my girlfriend take my picture in front of the Guggenheim, and a random man decided to jump in the photo while pretending to be my best friend. I thought it was funny, but immediately made sure my wallet wasn't missing.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:55 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
Well I hope you smile if you happen to find your way in one of my pics! I was born and raised in Chicago and moved away years ago....so when I visit....I feel like the stupid, goofy tourist, standing there with my camera, taking pics of Big John and the old Water Tower b/c I always thought they were cool...taking pics of the Wrigley Building or the newer buildings that seem to go up in between my visits. How horrible is it to feel like a geeky tourist in your own hometown??? Having the locals look at you like you're an idiot...you're trying to be sensitive to the pedestrian by being as unobtrusive as possible, and yet feeling like a touron (tourist + moron). Sucks.. BUt you certainly won't see me eating any chainfood cr*p when I'm home. No way. Anyway...next time you see a camera in tow...smile, it might be me!

Old 03-10-2008, 02:00 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Look at it this way... Id rather see people taking pics of North Michigan Avenue rather than the point-of-insanity Cloud Gate images. Ive about had enough of those dang pictures. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago