Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 10:36 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,873,838 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 10:56 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,479,741 times
lol at the cold weather stat.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can legally carry now in Chicago unless explicitly stated otherwise (no guns allowed on entrance door or prohibited places like government buildings). It's an Illinois law that covers Chicago too. The Supreme Court corrected Chicago's handgun ban. > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDona...ity_of_Chicago

I just wish Illinois allowed reciprocity with surrounding states so I didn't have to go through yet another application process. Just got my FOID card, now onto the Illinois CCW.

Last edited by flamadiddle; 05-28-2017 at 11:15 AM..

Old 05-28-2017, 11:00 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,862,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
lol at the cold weather stat.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can legally carry now in Chicago unless explicitly stated otherwise (no guns allowed on entrance door). It's an Illinois law that covers Chicago too.
Yes, Illinois law controls now. You can carry concealed if you take a course and get a license.

Old 05-28-2017, 01:05 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,168,513 times
Murder is one measure, but if you take violent crime overall - violent crimes being crimes where a gun might theoretically come in handy - Houston is significantly worse than Chicago for overall violent crime rates. Source

Just comparing murder rates is interesting trivia, but looking at the whole story, there really isn't support for your thesis that gun availability reduces violent crime.

P.S. I thought Chicago crime was a banned subject on this board?

Old 05-28-2017, 01:20 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
Yes, Illinois law controls now. You can carry concealed if you take a course and get a license.
Of course, in Chicago, unless you are planning to go into the dangerous neighborhoods, I don't see how carrying a gun either concealed or open carry actually helps.

Chicago's Deadly 2016: See It in 3 Charts | Time.com

Quote:
A new study released Tuesday by the University of Chicago helps put those numbers in context. The report's authors find that while the number of murders jumped dramatically last year, the characteristics of those homicides were largely similar to 2015. "Most involved guns, occurred in public places, and stemmed from what police believe was some sort of altercation," the report states. The victims were mostly black and in their teens, while many of the suspects had prior arrest records. And increasingly, much of the violence occurred in just a handful of neighborhoods.
Houston's number of murders is about 1/2 of Chicago's, but

Houston 1 of 3 cities driving national murder rate higher,...

Quote:
Houston's murder rate is on the rise year over year, and a recent study says Houston is one of three cities driving an increase in the nation's overall murder rate.

"Nationally, the murder rate is projected to increase 31.5 percent from 2014 to 2016 -- with half of
additional murders attributable to Baltimore, Chicago and Houston," the Brennan Center for Justice: Crime in 2016 Report stated.
Quote:
In a news conference last week, Montalvo said that the majority of murders in Houston can be attributed to gang violence or domestic violence.
For Chicago, the guns being recovered at crime scenes are those with more firepower as well, so there will be more fatalities from those weapons.

Old 05-28-2017, 01:57 PM

50,265 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Of course, in Chicago, unless you are planning to go into the dangerous neighborhoods, I don't see how carrying a gun either concealed or open carry actually helps.

Chicago's Deadly 2016: See It in 3 Charts | Time.com

Houston's number of murders is about 1/2 of Chicago's, but

Houston 1 of 3 cities driving national murder rate higher,...

For Chicago, the guns being recovered at crime scenes are those with more firepower as well, so there will be more fatalities from those weapons.
more firepower? Explain please.

Old 05-28-2017, 02:06 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,168,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
There have been reports that the police are finding more high-powered rifles than they used to, as opposed to, say, 9mm handguns.

Old 05-28-2017, 02:12 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,617,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Murder is one measure, but if you take violent crime overall - violent crimes being crimes where a gun might theoretically come in handy - Houston is significantly worse than Chicago for overall violent crime rates. Source

Just comparing murder rates is interesting trivia, but looking at the whole story, there really isn't support for your thesis that gun availability reduces violent crime.

P.S. I thought Chicago crime was a banned subject on this board?
OP is from new hampshire. Just another race baiting idiot looking to get things stirred up.

Old 05-28-2017, 03:00 PM

20,864 posts, read 9,529,660 times
This whole argument is really stupid. Most of the murders are gang-related murders, whose victims are typically highly targeted by other gang members. If you're not a gang member (or ex-gang member) you probably don't have much to worry about, so carrying a concealed gun with you isn't going to do you much good. If Chicago happens to have a worse homicide rate than Houston, probably has something to do with the relative activities of gangs in the two cities.

In fact, I'd be willing to bet that a majority of victims in both cities already did own at least one gun, and many of them probably were carrying one with them when they were killed.

Old 05-28-2017, 04:28 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Assault weapons play a familiar role in Chicago shootings | abc7chicago.com

Quote:
So far in 2016, 96 assault weapons have been confiscated by police. More than 200 were collected in 2015. And there are many more still out there.
Some Chicago gangs turning to rifles for added firepower, police say - Chicago Tribune

Quote:
[A bullet from a semi-automatic rifle can travel as fast as 3,200 feet per second, twice the speed from a handgun. That means wounds are more disabling, experts say.

Rifle bullets can tear through cars and other obstacles, including standard-issue bulletproof vests worn by Chicago police. Special "rifle plates" that can stop those rounds are issued to SWAT teams, and some officers on regular duty also buy them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: