Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 11:31 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
a cursory glance at redfin would suggest you can still easily scoop one for 150-200k
A two flat in Berwyn for 400-500k? I love the enthusiasm Toria but I'd say 225-275k is more like it LOL!

A big problem is the taxes on commercial units. I found them to be way higher than Chicago, and all signs point to them continuing to rise. I think that is keeping prices down. I love Berwyn but rising taxes for pensions and salaries for their large unionized workforce and underfunded and overburdened schools are going to be a big obstacle to price appreciation there, especially on the commercial end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 12:02 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,634,006 times
yea, i meant that price for a bungalow, but im sure a 2 flat wouldnt be too much more.

Old 06-12-2017, 02:35 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
yea, i meant that price for a bungalow, but im sure a 2 flat wouldnt be too much more.
I'd love to see $400,000 Bungalows there but I don't think the market is anywhere near that yet, at least on a regular basis.

A few years ago, I had a prominent local realtor tell me I was basically insane to ask over $300,000 for my bungalow and refused to take my listing. I got another realtor, who sold it in less than a week for $325k. So good houses will definitely fetch good money but I don't think $400,000 is realistic yet. You can get a very nice house there for 250k still.

Two and three flats actually sell for less than SFHs because the primary market is low/mod income young families looking for a first home with limited capital. They tend to focus on single family homes because that's where all the incentives are, and that market is heavily incentive-driven (another thing that's giving me a slight pang of worry).

The commercial market is hurt by lack of incentives, limited low money down financing options, and high taxes. It isnt uncommon to see an $8k + tax bill on a 225k two flat, I noted. You probably could reduce that considerably with a homeowner's exemption but still, the focus seems to be on the single family homes. That's what's the government is trying to steer low/mod income first time buyers into.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:47 AM

255 posts, read 415,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Let's face it, if we could get more Asian people to fill in these depleted working class and warzone neighborhoods in the south and west sides, Chicago would be one hell of a better and safer city. I say give a million visas or green cards free of charge to Asian and Indian immigrants, with all bank-owned, foreclosed, or eminently domain seized properties gifted to our new neighbors. Empty lots too. Give them Section 8 housing and boot those that abuse such programs. Would be great to have that culture and morals and hard work, ethical values overwhelm the endless, generational s-hitshow that goes on there currently.
Would love to see this IMHO. But honestly, it could lead to some ethnic tension and these immigrants might get shot by the gangbangers. But yes, totally in favor of getting more Asians into Chicago, especially to revitalize these bleepshow neighborhoods.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:42 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times
You really have to commend Asians, Indians, and Arabs above any other ethnic group in the US. They're the ones who live in and start businesses in these high crime, disinvested neighborhoods, get abused, harassed and victimized by patrons nonstop -- yet they persevere for the sake of their families.

I say we rewrite immigration laws so that THEY are the ones given citizenship, and the fools who make their lives so needlessly difficult get stripped of their citizenship and exiled. Those dudes driving cabs and working in convenience stores embody the American spirit more than anyone.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:49 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,951,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
You really have to commend Asians, Indians, and Arabs above any other ethnic group in the US. They're the ones who live in and start businesses in these high crime, disinvested neighborhoods, get abused, harassed and victimized by patrons nonstop -- yet they persevere for the sake of their families.

I say we rewrite immigration laws so that THEY are the ones given citizenship, and the fools who make their lives so needlessly difficult get stripped of their citizenship and exiled. Those dudes driving cabs and working in convenience stores embody the American spirit more than anyone.
I agree with you! especially on the bolded part!

Old 08-01-2017, 01:25 PM

4,641 posts, read 3,254,543 times
TBideon and FAReastcoast, with all due respect, there are such things as "positive stereotypes." I understand what you are saying when you refer to store owners that work diligently through hardships and more than likely are assisting families. No doubt this exists. However, I do not know if it is fair to apply any statement to "groups", be they positive or negative comments. I am of Hispanic descent. I speak English and Spanish (as well as some Korean). I graduated 2 times from college, am employed in the Milwaukee County Courthouse and also teach Tae Kwon Do. I do not deny that Chicago also has area that are predominately Hispanic that are seeing an increase in violence. Not all of those perpetrators are illegal. And also, I once was a "gang banger" myself, but I was fortunate to turn my life around to help others. People in the same situation can have their opportunities to turn their lives around. There needs to be more positive role models in their lives to give them direction. May all City-Data comers have a good day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago