Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 09:54 AM

3 posts, read 13,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I think it's going to depend on the OP's comfort level. Have you lived in a (or this) city before?
Yes, we have lived in Little Italy/UIC area for five years. I know thats a safe area, but we're pretty comfortable in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,391 times
Default CAPS Meetings

Hello, I have lived in EHP particularily around Evergreen/Washtenaw area for almost 2 years. My decision to buy here was an easy one considering the size place and amenities I got for the money, location to the park and bucktown/wicker, etc. Unfortunately, I have not gotten very involved in the community. I could make a ton of excuses that work makes it tough..blah blah, but the reality is I just haven't. I found this forum and saw a description of the CAPs meetings at Casa Central. Are those held regularly? What are the dates and times of upcoming meetings so I could make a point to attend. Thank you.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:38 PM

3 posts, read 13,811 times
Default East Humboldt Park [2500 Augusta]

I found a pretty sizeable apartment on the 2500 block of Augusta. The rent is cheap, the porch is lovely and the bedrooms are big. In short, it's perfect.

The only thing is, I'm wondering how the neighborhood is in terms of street crime. I made the mistake of checking out the neighborhood crime blog and my block is apparently Forcible Burglary Central.

I can deal with it since I've lived in 'worse' neighborhoods, but I like to do my homework all the same. (In my experience, the only people who are cavalier about this sort of thing are kids who grew up in the suburbs and haven't seen anything crazier than an aborted fistfight in a Taco Bell parking lot).

So, I turn to you. It looks fine to me, and I'm pretty sure I'm just being a Nervous Nellie, but I'd appreciate any insight you all may have.

P.S. I have a car if that helps frame the question better.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:44 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,239,509 times
It could be better.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:39 PM

72 posts, read 167,470 times
I've always thought Humboldt Park had a pretty bad roughness to amenities ratio. I would much rather have a train line. Driving around this city sucks.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:48 AM

2 posts, read 3,346 times
Lol, if your white don't move to Humboldt park its a puerto rican community and they look down upon other races or minorities, besides theres a lot of gang activity in that area i dont see why you would want to live there.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:54 AM

668 posts, read 2,357,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTBS View Post
Lol, if your white don't move to Humboldt park its a puerto rican community and they look down upon other races or minorities, besides theres a lot of gang activity in that area i dont see why you would want to live there.

I agree don't move to Humboldt Park, not because Puerto Ricans are racist, because most are not, but because everybody moving in to Humboldt Park wants to completely transform it into another Lincoln or Wicker Park, and we don't need another one of those neighborhoods, that's for sure. The neighborhood has a unique vibe to it that's getting slowly getting minced and diced up and pissed on. IF you do move there, mind your own business, make friends with locals instead of trying to push them out, and learn to live with the gangs there. There are gangs in just about every neighborhood of Chicago so get used to it, if you mind ur own business u won't have problems, but if you try and fight it u will, that's pretty much common sense, so either blend in and enjoy the neighborhood for what it is or move to the Gold Coast.

Puerto Ricans are not racist, what an ignorant comment. Puerto Ricans get along very good with everybody for the most part, even the gang banger types. most have white and black heritage so they don't discriminate, and their latin heritage makes them get along with other latinos. If anyone can get along with anybody, it's Puerto Ricans. They only discriminate if you discriminate or impose on them. Can't talk for everybody, but if u blend in u will be fine, if u walk around with a stick up ur ass thinking ur better than everybody else and call the cops cause u see a couple of kids wearing baggy jeans u will be in trouble, and rightfully so. It's very simple, u can't beat em, so just join em.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:11 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times

Old 03-08-2009, 03:44 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,444,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
I agree don't move to Humboldt Park, not because Puerto Ricans are racist, because most are not, but because everybody moving in to Humboldt Park wants to completely transform it into another Lincoln or Wicker Park, and we don't need another one of those neighborhoods, that's for sure. The neighborhood has a unique vibe to it that's getting slowly getting minced and diced up and pissed on. IF you do move there, mind your own business, make friends with locals instead of trying to push them out, and learn to live with the gangs there. There are gangs in just about every neighborhood of Chicago so get used to it, if you mind ur own business u won't have problems, but if you try and fight it u will, that's pretty much common sense, so either blend in and enjoy the neighborhood for what it is or move to the Gold Coast.

Puerto Ricans are not racist, what an ignorant comment. Puerto Ricans get along very good with everybody for the most part, even the gang banger types. most have white and black heritage so they don't discriminate, and their latin heritage makes them get along with other latinos. If anyone can get along with anybody, it's Puerto Ricans. They only discriminate if you discriminate or impose on them. Can't talk for everybody, but if u blend in u will be fine, if u walk around with a stick up ur ass thinking ur better than everybody else and call the cops cause u see a couple of kids wearing baggy jeans u will be in trouble, and rightfully so. It's very simple, u can't beat em, so just join em.
There is a difference between wanting violent gangs out of your neighborhood and wanting a starbucks on every corner. Most of the residents that work with CAPs are locals not yuppies that have recently moved in. If anything though, yuppies moving in will cue the cops to be more present which in turn is best for all residents.

How can you claim that the Puerto Rican residents are content with having crime and gangs where they are raising their families? Boulderdash.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:32 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,272 times
Default Banx

Humboldt Park and Chicago as a whole would be better off without gangs.

Gangbangers generally will leave you alone but will also rob you if they are able. People who steal and sell drugs to make an income and shoot and kill each other (and often innocent bystanders) are not people you want living next door.

Banx,

I am one of those who does call the police when I see people hanging out on corners dealing drugs and staying out at all hours of the night. We used to have some of this on my block but increased lighting (really helps) and solid neighbor participation and calling cops has really cut down on this as well as regular police patrols. My block is much safer than when I moved here 3 years ago.

I stick out (white guy in a suit), but I get along just fine. Half of my neighbors are Puerto Rican and the other half are Mexican. There are also several black families on my block. I will never "blend" in but that is okay.

Some Puerto Ricans are racist and some are not. Some Puerto Ricans get along with their Mexican neighbors and some do not. Puerto Ricans generally get along with blacks better than Mexicans do, but there are exceptions. Puerto Ricans are being replaced by Mexicans in Humboldt Park as the Mexican population is exploding while the Puerto Rican population is stable to declining.

Can't talk for everybody, but if u blend in u will be fine, if u walk around with a stick up ur ass thinking ur better than everybody else and call the cops cause u see a couple of kids wearing baggy jeans u will be in trouble, and rightfully so. It's very simple, u can't beat em, so just join em.

This kind of thinking is f'ed up. I refuse to join a gang or put up with them breaking the law. Rightfully so? No one has the right to beat or kill me or even threaten me for calling the cops when laws are broken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago