Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2017, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 1,948 times

Advertisements

This forum seems perfect for my needs, currently I'm looking at renting a place in Pilsen or Bridgeport neighborhoods. I am interested in getting a 2 BR apt within $1.5k budget, public transit and safety are the top priorities for me. I will be taking bus or L to loop and wife will take bus or L to UIC campus, based on this daily commute I've thought either Pilsen or Bridgeport might be a good fit for me, if there are other neighborhoods I should consider looking into, let me know.

From my research, people on the internet have said to stay east of Damen and north of 18th, would you say this is accurate? and what are the recommended pockets in Bridgeport area? I would like to hear from people on this sub about the places you are staying in and how you like it. I do know gunshots might occur here and there, but I'm worried about day light or early evening street side mugging.

I know this is not in the area I'm looking at, but a colleague of mine said, he got mugged twice while walking from Prairie Shores to lake meadows apt, that's in Bronzeville/Lake Meadows and I thought it was pretty scary. I would like to hear about your experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 07:02 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
$1500 is a good budget for either neighborhood. I rent 3br with small bedrooms (and no closets) for $1200/mo. Most 2br apartments in Bridgeport rent for $1100-1500/mo depending on location, size, and condition.

Since your wife will be going to UIC, the Pilsen neighborhood is closer to that area. You can probably even ride a bike there to save time and money. Pilsen feels a little more "happening" than Bridgeport and has a lot more stores and restaurants.

I'm not sure about safety in Pilsen, but the neighborhood is pretty much all gentrified, so safety isn't a major concern.

I live in Bridgeport and like it here. Pilsen has a lot of character and Bridgeport feels more like a family or working class neighborhood. The safest parts are east of Halsted and north of 35th st.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:30 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,862,124 times
University Village/Little Italy just north of Pilsen would be worth looking at.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:42 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
The best way to really find an affordable apartment in Chicago that has acceptable safety and such remains "boot on the ground" -- if you don't walk around a neighborhood, especially when folks are home from work, you won't really understand whether the place is cheap because other nearby units are crammed full of too many people or there are horrible issues with ventilation or whether the landlord is just little less driven to squeeze every last cent out of renters...

If transit is important to you it also makes a lot of sense to determine what sort of route there is to / from the station -- being a couple blocks farther from the Red line or Orange line is not a big deal in nice weather but it can really be a hassle in crummy weather. Also makes sense to look at the building along the way -- if they are commercial places that are likely to keep the sidewalks clean for customers that makes for a faster less risky walk than a row of structures that nobody ever enters...

Old 06-23-2017, 08:03 AM

2 posts, read 1,948 times
Thank you for the replies folks , I'm currently looking for places in Craigslist mostly as I hope to connect with the landlord directly. Some of the areas I'm considering are Pilsen, Little Italy, UV, and Bridgeport. From my observation, there are more tall buildings(apt types like I see in Edgewater) than in Pilsen. I'm planning to take a walk around the neighborhood and look for rent signs. If there are property management/rental agenices you've had good experiences with, feel free to recommend.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:11 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs87 View Post
Thank you for the replies folks , I'm currently looking for places in Craigslist mostly as I hope to connect with the landlord directly. Some of the areas I'm considering are Pilsen, Little Italy, UV, and Bridgeport. From my observation, there are more tall buildings(apt types like I see in Edgewater) than in Pilsen. I'm planning to take a walk around the neighborhood and look for rent signs. If there are property management/rental agenices you've had good experiences with, feel free to recommend.
Craigslist won't be of much help in places like Bridgeport and Pilsen. As you noted, there are very few large apartment buildings in those neighborhoods. You will really have to walk the neighborhood. Good Luck!

Old 06-24-2017, 08:11 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
OP, I found my apartment in Bridgeport on Padmapper.com

It's worth a shot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: