Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 08:03 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times

Advertisements

I don't know if its commonplace, but I'm surprised it infuriates you or puts a damper on your night out. My mom was surprised, but laughed it off. I don't get why your dad would be furious.

It also happened in St. Louis to my mom, so I think its a new trend.

I've never not been carded at a bar in Chicago, but I'm only 22 so that's not surprising. I'm usually more surprised when I get carded for cigarettes (about 80% of the time)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 04:45 PM

450 posts, read 1,905,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I don't know if its commonplace, but I'm surprised it infuriates you or puts a damper on your night out. My mom was surprised, but laughed it off. I don't get why your dad would be furious.

It also happened in St. Louis to my mom, so I think its a new trend.

I've never not been carded at a bar in Chicago, but I'm only 22 so that's not surprising. I'm usually more surprised when I get carded for cigarettes (about 80% of the time)
It's a symbol of where society is going -- very obsessive. When you ID someone who is that much over 21, it's understandable it will be viewed as an irritant and a violation of trust. Society as a whole has decided it is more important to make sure absolutely nobody under 21 gets a drink at a bar -- even those with their parents, including in states where it is legal for the under-21 person to drink at home when their parents are present -- than to avoid violating many people's trust. But you can't expect all people to agree with that line of thinking, and those who don't will be upset.

In addition, in a long line at a sports event (where this happens by far the most frequently), it slows things up considerably. Like many people, my dad has his money ready to buy something to keep the line moving. To ask for ID takes 30-45 seconds for him to find his wallet, then find his ID (it's not exactly something he uses everyday), then for the worker to take the ID, closely inspect it (I've counted an average of 10-15 seconds for this alone in CA), and hand it back. Multiply that by 15 in a 15-deep line in a 17-minute intermission -- you go from that line moving in about 8 minutes to 16 minutes -- in other words, making it impossible to get a beer -- or even a soda, since they're sold at the same place -- in intermission unless you leave your seat early. To me, I don't understand why more people don't get upset by this -- every time I see a 50-something get ID'd, it sure gets under my skin!!

Perhaps the younger generation does not view it that way, but for people born in the 40s and 50s, they do view it that way -- and who can blame them?

Back when I was 21, I'd say I was carded about 50% of the time for the first 2-3 years, but that was in Colorado and the Midwest, where things are more laid-back than California.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,492 times
I'm 17 and the band im in has older members, they have a possible gig at the Double Door in Chicago is there any way i could get in to play or not? also if my parents were there could that possibly change things too?

Old 02-10-2011, 07:40 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,408 times
The only way to tell is to call the venue and ask. It's not unheard of, a friend of mine was in a band in high school and they played at quite a few bars.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:47 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
I would be asking the DD before I went. If you do you won't be able to go near the bar or touch alcohol on stage. If you do you'll be out the door or worse, and DD could be shut down for serving alcohol to a minor.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:58 PM

3,500 posts, read 3,132,544 times
Unless it is an all ages show. the best you can hope for probably is to be allowed to come in at showtime, play your set, and leave as soon as you're done. DD is a serious venue, and they're not about to take any chances with their liquor license.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
the best you can hope for probably is to be allowed to come in at showtime, play your set, and leave as soon as you're done.
Yeah, that's pretty close to what my friend had to do. They hung out for 30 minutes or so after their sets selling CDs, but then they had to leave. No one in the band was over 21, but it wasn't hidden at all. The Reader even had them as a featured band and made a big deal out of the fact that they were all Lane Tech students.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:11 PM

3,500 posts, read 3,132,544 times
It's been a long time since I was underage (22 years) but that was my experience when playing that sort of venue back in the day. I know that they've tightened up on carding and whatnot since those days, so I don't know what it's like now. The OP would be best served contacting the venue and/or the party who booked the show to be sure. Would suck to show up to play and not be able to get in to your own show.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:45 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
I'm in my mid 30's and look it, and I still get carded here sometimes.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:04 PM

I should note that my friend just graduated from High School last year, and what I was writing about was recent. He was actually my daughter's babysitter before he left for college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago