Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2017, 09:33 PM

123 posts, read 119,811 times

Advertisements

I admire some of the parents I see in Chicago moving from the suburbs six years ago and working on the streets of Chicago in social services I made a lot of observations. One of them is something I coined "ultra urban parents" or "Chi Warrior Parents".

I wish I had the guts to do some of the things I see these parents doing with my wife who is scared to stay out in Chicago after dark. We do not have kids I am just imagining if I did how it would be.

I have seen moms holding conversations with street wise vendors in uptown while holding there kids hands. I see dads riding on their bike down Lincoln with two kids strapped to the bike navigating traffic. There is a thread on here asking if J walking is legal well I saw a dad today guiding his three kids between cars on Milwaukee teaching them how to j walk he was yelling run run go go they were holding presents and ran into a restaurant across the street.

Do these Chi Warrior Parents have any tips or thoughts on being a more risky urban parent? Will it raise more confident social and understanding children. I feel that the hard core urban risk taking parents are a sub culture of parents because I feel and I am just assuming there are more protective parents that do not let their kids j walk, walk among the homeless to there destinations while chit chatting with the street wise person with their children.

I admire it so I am not saying all street wise are dangerous or homeless are dangerous but I take precautions when walking the streets and who I talk to throw kids into the mix and I call that Chi Warrior parents.

Are you a chi warrior parent? I would like to hear your views on how you live life in Chicago without being over protective of your children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago