Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2017, 06:21 PM

1 posts, read 778 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Chicago, but I am looking to move to a new apartment. Unfortunately, I have limited time for apartment searching and research, and I also have several specific preferences that are not easily figured out by just online research or even in-person visiting. For example, poor noise isolation between units is a HUGE no-no for me.

I realize that most or all of the standard locator services are "questionable" in Chicago. But if I am not particularly concerned about spending a god-awful amount of time finding that needle-in-the-haystack "great deal" with a small apartment building or individual condo unit owner, would I likely miss out on any high-quality apartment buildings if I worked with a reputable standard real estate agent/firm instead of searching through a huge amount of listings online?

Are there any reputable firms or agents that either are working with almost all the decent large apartment buildings in the central areas of Chicago, or at least have excellent widespread knowledge to independently find good options (in that case I would obviously have to pay the fee instead of the landlord)? Obviously I would still try to find out as much info as I can online before making any final decisions - but it would be great if someone else could save me a huge amount of time and come up with a list of options that best match both my budget and various requirements, and with high accuracy (not missing many other "best" matching options in the city).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 10:08 PM

156 posts, read 313,081 times
Chicago apartment finders looks ok. They have an office in wicker Park.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:55 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,229,422 times
I think you would be better off going with a real estate agent like Dreamtown or Baird & Warner or Fulton Grace. These are real estate agents that also have a few agents handling rentals. A lot of owners will go to them if their units are priced higher than the competition---for legitimate reasons (better quality construction, better management, more spacious, etc), but still need individualized attention in order to get rented. And the agents will be more likely to spend time finding units to meet your peculiar requirements.

On a side note, if noise is your most pressing concern, I would suggest focusing on smaller greystone buildings. Most of these kinds of buildings are kind of arranged in 'stacked duplexes'--a central staircase with one unit on each floor on each side of the staircase. The beauty of this arrangement is that there are only two units per floor, and they are separated from each other by a staircase--so no shared walls. I don't know if this kind of building would meet your other criteria. Even with a better real estate agent to help you, you may have to prioritize your criteria.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:54 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,933,808 times
If you get into an older two flat building with thick plaster walls you won't hear much except if people are noisy upstairs walking hard on the wood floors. Then again if you are on the second floor you probably won't hear much at all.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 543 times
The quietest buildings that I can think of are good quality hi-rise condo buildings downtown. They have poured concrete betweeb floors, many that I know have 18" concrete between floors... very quiet. Older 3-4 flats have wood between floors, you really can hear everything.
I'd recommend to call a good agency, like Baird & Warner or Coldwell Banker, or At Properties, most good professional realtors are happy to work with renters, and will take a good care of you. You do not pay anything to your agent. Feel free to call me with any questions- Vera Perner, Baird & Warner, 312.823.8540. Good luck!

Old 09-05-2017, 10:22 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,229,422 times
Quote:
many that I know have 18" concrete between floors... very quiet. Older 3-4 flats have wood between floors, you really can hear everything.
18"?? LOL, OK.

High rises may have eight inches or so of concrete between floors (the maximum fire rating required by code is 8 inches, for example, and floor penetration devices are designed for 8" or less). But they have 2.5" metal studs and 1/2" drywall and no sound attenuation between neighboring apartments! And that thick concrete floor will only mitigate airborne noise, not structure-borne noise.

I'd rather have creaking wooden floors that I hear when my upstairs neighbor walks around, then watch (and hear) my picture frames rattle on the wall whenever my neighbor is "moving furniture"!!

Old 09-06-2017, 10:09 AM

306 posts, read 364,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
But they have 2.5" metal studs and 1/2" drywall and no sound attenuation between neighboring apartments!
Bingo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: