Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 02:44 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,571,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Frankly, impoverished people leaving the city is probably on average a VERY positive development for them and a positive development for the city as well.

Some people see the negative in everything!
Yet another clueless poster. Why are there so many around here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 02:54 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
If you want to be more specific, I could answer your questions on my point of view. Re: the part you clipped, it is my opinion that ghettos are bad.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:29 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,459,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
We do know that everybody (and I do mean literally everybody) is abandoning Chicago whose population is heading for "0" by the next decade (although that figure may be a bit conservative and the drop much lower) long before.....gasp!!....Houston passed us up as the third largest city.

So isn't it amazing how many megaprojections are being planned in what is basically a ghost town?

No little plans: More than $20 billion of megaprojects in Chicago's pipeline - Chicago Tribune
It's nice to see the plans but I find it very disconcerting that there's nothing west of 1800 or south of 2900, and even there there's only two projects respectively, both of hospital sites. That means all the development is clustered in the Emerald City. Where's the manufacturing development that is going to bring jobs to the South and West sides?

Old 06-24-2017, 06:04 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,571,939 times
Quote:
If you want to be more specific, I could answer your questions on my point of view. Re: the part you clipped, it is my opinion that ghettos are bad.
You missed the point. People of all income levels are leaving Chicago, not just the poor ones. Those are the facts. I'm not really interested in your point of view.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...404-story.html

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...925-story.html

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/chica...-middle-class/

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...511-story.html

Old 06-24-2017, 06:10 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times
Quote:
It's kind of incredible that people keep parroting the fakenews that the people leaving Chicago are poor, and so the population loss is good, when the Census clearly indicates that Chicago is losing the middle class and keeping the poor.

Poverty in Chicago is actually slightly higher than 20 year ago.

But I suspect a lot of people don't care, they A. Want to keep the fakenews going and B. Don't really mind if black people are leaving, regardless of socioeconomics. Chicago is actually losing whites too and basically stagnant in terms of Hispanics and Asians (which is absurd, given that these are the growth categories in the U.S.) but this is never mentioned.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Good grief, who cares.

Frankly, impoverished people leaving the city is probably on average a VERY positive development for them and a positive development for the city as well.

Some people see the negative in everything!
Well, I think the issue's a little more complex than that. True, poor people take out more resources than they put in. So if you look at it from a pure dollars and cents perspective, the fewer poor people the better.

Now, that being said, you have to ask yourself why we have so many poor people. And the answer to that is we've completely neglected manufacturing and general economic development on the south and west sides. We haven't attracted good paying jobs that people who do not have college educations can work.

I mean, sure, we've done a fantastic job attracting high-paying professional jobs. But we've left a good percentage of our City in the dust.

So I think you and I would agree that we should want to reduce the amount of poor people. But I say that we do that through higher-paying jobs in our low-opportunity areas, not by starving them out of the City and into the south suburbs or wherever else everyone's hoping they'll disappear to.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
You missed the point. People of all income levels are leaving Chicago, not just the poor ones. Those are the facts. I'm not really interested in your point of view.

Millionaires are leaving Chicago, report says - Chicago Tribune

Why wealthy blacks are leaving Chicago for the South - Chicago Tribune

Chicago

Chicago area's middle class shrinking, report finds - Chicago Tribune
Wrong. In aggregate, Chicago lost approximately 8K people last year; it is a well-established fact that the exodus over the last decade has primarily been African Americans fleeing some of the country's worst neighborhoods.

The net loss is likely the result of lower urban growth in general across the country and more specifically lower Mexican immigration.

Chicago only major U.S. city to lose population from 2015 to 2016 - Chicago Tribune

None of this affects quality of life for anyone anywhere or has had a meaningful impact on the character of the city.

It's a big pile of nothing.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Well, I think the issue's a little more complex than that. True, poor people take out more resources than they put in. So if you look at it from a pure dollars and cents perspective, the fewer poor people the better.

Now, that being said, you have to ask yourself why we have so many poor people. And the answer to that is we've completely neglected manufacturing and general economic development on the south and west sides. We haven't attracted good paying jobs that people who do not have college educations can work.

I mean, sure, we've done a fantastic job attracting high-paying professional jobs. But we've left a good percentage of our City in the dust.

So I think you and I would agree that we should want to reduce the amount of poor people. But I say that we do that through higher-paying jobs in our low-opportunity areas, not by starving them out of the City and into the south suburbs or wherever else everyone's hoping they'll disappear to.
The population loss is overwhelmingly due to African Americans leaving poor neighborhoods.

We are all entitled to our own opinions. If an African American friend said to me they were getting the hell out of Englewood or Austin and leaving to go raise their children somewhere else, my response would be: "Sounds like a good idea."

This is hardly anything new. Every ethnicity in the country has fled the ghettos when they had the chance. As a guy online once wrote, it's easy to be nostalgic about the Bronx in movies; I'm sure Chazz Palminteri is quite happy to be at his farm in Westchester.

Old 06-25-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
The population loss is overwhelmingly due to African Americans leaving poor neighborhoods.

We are all entitled to our own opinions. If an African American friend said to me they were getting the hell out of Englewood or Austin and leaving to go raise their children somewhere else, my response would be: "Sounds like a good idea."

This is hardly anything new. Every ethnicity in the country has fled the ghettos when they had the chance. As a guy online once wrote, it's easy to be nostalgic about the Bronx in movies; I'm sure Chazz Palminteri is quite happy to be at his farm in Westchester.
And if a white friend said they were getting the hell out of Logan Square and leaving to go raise their kids in Naperville, you'd say?

Old 06-25-2017, 06:52 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,365 times
So basically, with these new constructions, Chicago's loosing poorer Whites, and keeping the richer Whites?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago