Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Cubs are Sox should be placed.....
where they are now, NL/C & AL/C respectively 17 89.47%
in the same division in a reorganized MLB structure 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 04:35 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times

Advertisements

If MLB were to reorganize, would you prefer to see the Cubs and Sox in the same division or in different divisions.

In times past, this would have been an impossibility. The Cubs and Sox were not to be grouped because they belonged to separate organizations, the National League and the American League.

Since pretty much the start of this century, that is no longer true. There is no NL or AL organization; they do not exist as legal entities. Both the Cubs and the Sox are already in the same league, MLB. So within that MLB structure, should the two remain in different divisions or the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 08:02 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,536,978 times
If you put them both in the same league there would never be the chance of a White Sox-Cubs World Series.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:08 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,858,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
If you put them both in the same league there would never be the chance of a White Sox-Cubs World Series.
This is all that needs to be written!!!!!

Old 06-25-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Not much of a sacrifice for me; I suspect I won't be around in 2138

Old 06-27-2017, 06:15 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,464,255 times
That would completely take the magic out of the rivalry. Six games plus the possibility of a World Series is more than adequate.

In fact, in my opinion, they should go back to just three games a year like it was originally. But there's too much money involved.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
That would completely take the magic out of the rivalry. Six games plus the possibility of a World Series is more than adequate.

In fact, in my opinion, they should go back to just three games a year like it was originally. But there's too much money involved.
isn't it pretty close to those 3 games/yr even now. I mean, for two of every 3 years, it's only 4 games (2 at each ball park). In the third year, I think it is 3/3

Old 07-04-2017, 01:13 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,611,888 times
Let's hear your thoughts op... I can't think of any reason that would make it a good idea.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Let's hear your thoughts op... I can't think of any reason that would make it a good idea.
I'm happy with the current set up. Yes, I like the idea that tradition dictates the Cubs are in the NL and the Sox in the AL, although NL and AL are pretty meaningless as since 2000, the Cubs and Sox are no longer in separate leagues, but are in the same league, MLB.

That said, what with interleague and all, I'm not sure it matters that the Cubs and Sox be in different divisions.

Yes, as noted, I'd just as soon see the current Cub/NL, Sox/AL set up stay, I have to admit that a 5 team division of Cubs, White Sox, Cardinals, Brewers, and Tigers would be really cool.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:14 PM

2002 series - Angels vs Giants (not the same city but at least the same state)
2000 series - Yankees vs Mets
1989 series - A's vs Giants
1985 series - Royals vs Cardinals (not the same city but at least the same state)
1974 series - A's vs Dodgers (not the same city but at least the same state)

Prior to 1960 you get a bunch of series with the Yankees, NY Giants and Brooklyn Dodgers, but I guess they don't count anymore.

Still haven't had an Angels vs Dodgers series or a White Sox vs Cubs series. But both are due to happen sometime in the next 50 years I'd say! There was also never a Rangers vs Astros series, and now that Houston is in the AL that's going to be impossible. With 5 teams in CA I suppose the odds of two of those teams making the WS once in a while in the same year is probably halfway decent.

Also, I think if you had a White Sox-Brewers series that would be "close enough" even though they're in different states. Kinda sorta like a Red Sox-Mets series (1986).

Old 07-05-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
... I have to admit that a 5 team division of Cubs, White Sox, Cardinals, Brewers, and Tigers would be really cool.
Expansion would be a good avenue to realign some teams and create new rivalries. Here's an idea I came up with not long ago: I presumed one expansion team would go to Montreal, and another either to Charlotte or Nashville. Each league would be divided into 4 divisions of 4 teams each. There would be no interleague play (yes I'm a bit of a purist). There would be no wild card in the playoffs either, just the top team of each division would make the playoffs. A few teams would switch leagues and alignment would try to preserve (or even create) geographic rivalries.

A.L. East
Boston
NY Yankees
Baltimore
Expansion (Charlotte? Nashville?)

A.L. Great Lakes
Cleveland
Detroit
Chicago White Sox
Toronto

A.L. Plains
Minnesota
Kansas City
Texas
Houston

A.L. West
Seattle
Oakland
LA Angels
San Diego

--------------------------------------

N.L. Northeast
Expansion (Montreal?)
NY Mets
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh

N.L Southeast
Washington
Atlanta
Tampa Bay
Miami

N.L. Midwest
Cincinnati
Milwaukee
Chicago Cubs
St Louis

N.L. West
San Francisco
LA Dodgers
Colorado
Arizona

If a team west of the Mississippi got an expansion team it would mess with my scheme a bit. If instead of Charlotte or Nashville you got San Antonio, Salt Lake, Las Vegas or Portland, where would it go? I suppose if it was San Antonio you could put it in the AL Plains, move Minnesota to the AL Great Lakes and move Toronto to the AL Northeast. Any farther west than that and I'm not sure what to do.

Another possibility would be to put one of the expansion teams in the NL Southeast and move Washington to the AL East. That would put both expansion teams in the NL but oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago