Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 12:21 PM

1,022 posts, read 774,127 times

Advertisements

I have a friend also from Florida where I think you said you are from and he visited NYC as he wanted to move there very badly. But he came to Chicago first for a visit as well and changed his mind real fast! Now he is looking to move here instead of NYC as soon as he finishes college.

He found Chicago to be much more beautiful, relaxing, clean, friendly and of course loves the food here! He also really loved how the EL trains here are elevated through the city including downtown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 01:39 PM

230 posts, read 385,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNewJersey View Post

Whenever I visit other places in this country Im pleasantly surprised to find that people tend to live quite comfortably. That life is about living, not surviving.
My good friend moved from Brooklyn to Chicago 2 years ago and has been my roommate the whole time. He said exactly this - he was tired of simply surviving. Chicago has been good to him.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:25 PM

636 posts, read 611,750 times
Always found that NYers perceive this place positively, though sadly Chicago doesn't often reciprocate.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
Always found that NYers perceive this place positively, though sadly Chicago doesn't often reciprocate.
Really then why do I have New Yorkers always giving me crap about Chicago?

Old 06-29-2017, 06:05 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNewJersey View Post
Hey all, Im a NYC resident who has been entertaining moving to Chicago. I currently work as a Live Sound Engineer and manage to survive here in the city. I make under 30k and reside in Ridgewood, Queens. I like this neighborhood but after a few visits to Chicago recently Im dissilusioned by NYC life. Chicago friends boasted about their cheap rent, we spent a lot of time north of the loop and around Logan Square and Wicker Park. Everyone seems so relaxed, the streets are super clean and the air... the air was so fresh! I know Chicago has crime, all my friends back home know nothing else but its bad reputation. Our recent visit showed us a beautiful city. Are we fools for considering a move out to the windy city. What are you guys hiding? Cause it seems too good to be true...
What we're hiding is:

- A few bad neighborhoods (which are large but far away) that resemble what the South Bronx used to look like

- Lousy winters (lousier than New York's)

- Bad government (but after 20 years of good government you guys elected DeBlasio, so what can I say)

- Less opportunity. When you want to strive for that 7-figure paycheck, you'll be moving back to New York.

Otherwise, it's great, and a real bargain compared to the coasts, although the $3 million in-the-city house is beginning to be a thing.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:25 PM

12 posts, read 91,137 times
Which neighborhoods should I look out for?

If their anything like NYC neighborhoods I know they'll sometimes vary block by block.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:53 PM

650 posts, read 2,517,667 times
I think you would get a wide response, and maybe better ones from those that lived here a long time. What do you see yourself paying for rent? at under 30K you likely would still need roommates maybe a studio.
I live in east Irving Park pretty close to North Center & Horner Park (great area overall), and pay $1300 for a 2 bedroom fully updated with new kitchen, dishwasher, in unit laundry and some outdoor space. I pay a little extra for a garage spot.

I always wanted a car, way too hard in NYC. Chicago has more of a car lifestyle but you can easily do without one. I consider it one of my upgrades in quality of life.

Last edited by pureistheword; 06-29-2017 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: wrong price

Old 06-29-2017, 07:23 PM

12 posts, read 91,137 times
1,300 for a 2 bedroom is still very cheap by NYC standards. A few friends of mine who currently live in chicago quoted paying something around $800 for 1-2 bedroom apartments. If I could even get a 1 bedroom for around $1000 that would be astronomically better than anything nyc could offer. 30k is low by most standards. Im trying to cut a living, I would also plan to live with my fiance in Chicago. Which would help financially.

Purchasing a car also crossed my mind, I agree. Id see it as an upgrade to my standard of living too. owning a car in nyc is a nightmare, driving a car here on some of the avenues in manhattan could rival some racing sports at an amatuer level.

By the way I appreciate everyones responses so far, your input helps a lot.

Last edited by NewNewJersey; 06-29-2017 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: Cars

Old 06-29-2017, 08:19 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times
Sounds like you might like it. It's certainly more livable than NYC.

You don't need to worry about crime unless you live in one of a handful of neighborhoods.

The only place Chicago really falls behind NYC is, as Larry says, if you are looking to rise to the very top echelon of your industry, particularly glamour industries -- although that has increasingly shifted to West Coast over the years, anyway.

NYC is bigger better faster more. Of course if you want the BEST restaurants, nightlife, theater, etc., Chicago cannot compete. No matter what they say, that isn't really a priority for most people.

If you aren't looking to make it in TV or in publishing of start a hedge fund and want to live in a really nice big city that in most ways has a far higher quality of life than NYC as far as I can tell, it could be a good fit.

It's a very, very nice place to live.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:50 PM

I also remember doing the Double Decker bus tour here in Chicago and the guide said he was from NYC his whole life but after visiting here he moved here asap. Now he is a tour guide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago