Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 05:48 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
Yes it can. Chicago's major cultural institutions (Chicago Symphony, Art Institute, Lyric Opera) are as good as anything you find in NYC. (By common critical consent, the CSO is better than the NYPO, has been for decades.)

The theatre scene isn't as glamorous and glitzy, but it's arguably more innovative and intellectual. An old article but a good one:

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2004/jun/23/theatre1

As for restaurants, Conde Nast just named Chicago the best restaurant city in the country:

Chicago named America's best restaurant city by Conde Nast Traveler - Chicago Tribune

Yes, NYC has MORE of everything. Doesn't mean it has better!
Magazines are always saying crap like that. Otherwise there's nothing to write about. "Yep, NYC is the theater capital for the 1,000th year in a row."

Give it up.

I will give you one small example; I am am aficionado of a certain style of Asian cuisine and have eaten at all the best places in Chicago many, many times. I have tried three of the more highly recommend places in Manhattan in this style (just Yelp, no real research) and they blew everything here out of the water save for th very, very top spot -- maybe.

NYC has theater on lockdown, get over it.

NYC is NYC.

I would choose to live in Chicago every day and twice on Sunday but you can't really compare the cities except in quality of life issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 06:10 PM

337 posts, read 930,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
I will give you one small example; I am am aficionado of a certain style of Asian cuisine and have eaten at all the best places in Chicago many, many times. I have tried three of the more highly recommend places in Manhattan in this style (just Yelp, no real research) and they blew everything here out of the water save for th very, very top spot -- maybe.
Well yeah: as Stalin said, "quantity has a quality all its own."

Old 06-30-2017, 07:27 PM

12 posts, read 91,139 times
NYC is a dump, unless you living in outer queens and beyond. I live on the border of brooklyn and queens in Ridgewood. This neighborhood by comparison is in my opinion one of the better ones to live. Theres is trash everywhere, sidewalks are chipped and crumbling. The air smells dank. Dont know how to describe it. Trash juice pools into the streets, into broken crevices that resemble gutters and discolor the asphalt with smelly slime. Rats run free and rustle inside garbage bags left out for pickup late at night right in front of peoples apartments. Talking about rats just visit tompkin square park at night. Dirty one legged pigeons roost in the awnings of dingy bodegas and **** in front of the storefront entrances. People here just look upheaveled, run down. Burnt out. The mta system lately has been running so poorly. I was in a rush to get into manhattan the other day, entered the subway system to catch the F in Forest Hills. The whole platform reeked of human **** because there was a homeless vagrant digging thru a public trash can with his own feces caked around his ass at the waist of sweat pants.

Chicago felt like disney world by comparison. Yes i saw the dirtier places but as a whole people generally looked iust healthier, as simple as that sounds. The air was fresher. It may not be the freshest im sure but for us it was!

Old 06-30-2017, 08:51 PM

1,022 posts, read 774,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNewJersey View Post
NYC is a dump, unless you living in outer queens and beyond. I live on the border of brooklyn and queens in Ridgewood. This neighborhood by comparison is in my opinion one of the better ones to live. Theres is trash everywhere, sidewalks are chipped and crumbling. The air smells dank. Dont know how to describe it. Trash juice pools into the streets, into broken crevices that resemble gutters and discolor the asphalt with smelly slime. Rats run free and rustle inside garbage bags left out for pickup late at night right in front of peoples apartments. Talking about rats just visit tompkin square park at night. Dirty one legged pigeons roost in the awnings of dingy bodegas and **** in front of the storefront entrances. People here just look upheaveled, run down. Burnt out. The mta system lately has been running so poorly. I was in a rush to get into manhattan the other day, entered the subway system to catch the F in Forest Hills. The whole platform reeked of human **** because there was a homeless vagrant digging thru a public trash can with his own feces caked around his ass at the waist of sweat pants.

Chicago felt like disney world by comparison. Yes i saw the dirtier places but as a whole people generally looked iust healthier, as simple as that sounds. The air was fresher. It may not be the freshest im sure but for us it was!
I cannot believe anyone would want to live in New York with all of that I mean damn that is not living! I feel bad for people that live in New York now. Dude get out of the dump and come to Chicago.

Last edited by prhill; 06-30-2017 at 09:09 PM..

Old 07-01-2017, 11:39 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,955 times
Let's not make this another NYC vs Chicago thread. Got enough of those.

Old 07-01-2017, 12:41 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
LOL, no. Have lived in both cities and there is no comparison. It's the capitol of the world compared to a Top 5 U.S. city.

Chicago is great, but the only people on the planet who think that Chicago has a "rivalry" with NYC are a few insecure Chicagoans. Comparing NYC to Chicago is like comparing Chicago to Columbus- silly.

Heh, "Top 5 U.S. city". Thanks for the feint praise. We get your point but you're a bit over the top.

Old 07-01-2017, 02:47 PM

12 posts, read 91,139 times
I agree, its not a nyc vs chicago thread. But its difficult not to reconcile with how I feel about living here. Its been a toll.

Old 07-01-2017, 03:40 PM

337 posts, read 930,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNewJersey View Post
Evocative poetic description, though I don't remember it being quite that vile. (I used to live in NJ and went frequently into NYC for entertainment and business purposes.) Three wonderful NYC sensory experiences that have imprinted themselves on me:

1. Walking thru Midtown and being slightly afraid the skyscrapers were going to fall on me. It was that narrow, dark and claustrophobic.

2. Walking down 7th Ave. during afternoon rush hour and feeling the ground shake as the incredible amount and weight of traffic passed through. It felt like the entire island of Manhattan was in danger of sinking or capsizing. And the smell of traffic exhaust was enervating, almost Third World in its intensity.

3. A pigeon crapping on me as I crossed that same 7th Ave.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:14 PM

636 posts, read 611,906 times
nola's right this time.

Old 07-01-2017, 06:16 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
nola's right this time.
About what, that you can't compare the theater or fashion industry? OK.

Cleanliness -- yes, again, you can't compare it, Chicago is 100 times nicer and more clean.

One thing I've noticed about people who are really pro NYC is that they want everyone to acknowledge that NYC is THE BEST UNDER THE SUN IN EVERY RESPECT, I guess so they feel better about their $3,000 a month studio apartment.

It is definitely number one in a lot of respects; it is definitely not number one in some respects.

One obvious strike against it to anyone who has spent time there is that it is grimy and dirty.

It is what it is.

Obviously millions upon millions of rich people don't care and still want to live there.

That doesn't make it any less grimy and dirty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago