Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2017, 11:23 AM

13,000 posts, read 18,857,809 times

Advertisements

With the budget fiasco, Rauner is vulnerable. But many voters also blame Madigan. I suspect there will be a great movement to move into his District at least 30 days before he is up for reelection to vote for his opponent. I am sure there will be no primary opposition, but assuming the GOP puts up even a token candidate, he or she will poll well. Of course, rents will skyrocket a month or two ahead of the election. But will you see nothing available for sale or rent around that time?

Some of you are thinking it will never happen, it is solidly Democrat. But that's what they thought in 1994, when Rostenkowski, whose seat was later held by a now-convicted Governor and the present Chicago Mayor, was defeated by GOP neophyte Michael Flanagan.

Last edited by pvande55; 07-02-2017 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: Add reference
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 04:13 PM

3,397 posts, read 3,340,816 times
I thought Madigan sometimes encouraged some nobody opponent to run against him as a Republican or independent, which of course wouldn't attract as many votes as Madigan will? Though I do recall a few years back(2012 or 2014?), where the Chicago Tribune did report on a Democrat challenger that did attempt to run against Madigan in his district. Can't remember that guy's name, but of course he lost his primary bid against Madigan.

It's why this state needs term limits so badly. Of course, politicians in this state are so gutless, that I'm not holding my breath it'll happen anytime soon(sadly). I so wish the Illinois state court(think it was the Illinois state Supreme Court? can't remember which state court it was, for sure) hadn't had struck down the petition to put term limits onto the statewide ballot in November, a few years back. And it was very sad to hear about, since I did sign that petition personally myself when I saw someone collecting signatures for it.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:13 PM

13,000 posts, read 18,857,809 times
Term limits are a nonstarter. I remember many years ago a political party promised to bring them up. They were quickly shot down.
Yes, I remember, that 8 is enough got struck down by the courts, one judge was a former Mayor before the voters limited his term.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:47 PM

934 posts, read 1,435,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I thought Madigan sometimes encouraged some nobody opponent to run against him as a Republican or independent, which of course wouldn't attract as many votes as Madigan will? Though I do recall a few years back(2012 or 2014?), where the Chicago Tribune did report on a Democrat challenger that did attempt to run against Madigan in his district. Can't remember that guy's name, but of course he lost his primary bid against Madigan.

It's why this state needs term limits so badly. Of course, politicians in this state are so gutless, that I'm not holding my breath it'll happen anytime soon(sadly). I so wish the Illinois state court(think it was the Illinois state Supreme Court? can't remember which state court it was, for sure) hadn't had struck down the petition to put term limits onto the statewide ballot in November, a few years back. And it was very sad to hear about, since I did sign that petition personally myself when I saw someone collecting signatures for it.
Jason Gonzales, I think. He was set to be a big challenger as a Democratic with a Hispanic last name. However, according to him, the day he submitted his papers to be put on the ballot, two unknown challengers waited in the office to submit their papers directly behind him. These other challengers also had Hispanic names. The Illinois Policy Institute did some research, I believe, and was never able to find any trace of these two individuals.

Long story short. Madigan isn't going anywhere. 40 years of working himself into an impenetrable corner. His district needs to put aside their own self-interest for the good of the state. Apparently Madigan takes good care of his people. His daughter sure as hell isn't going to do her job either.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:32 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,429,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
Jason Gonzales, I think. He was set to be a big challenger as a Democratic with a Hispanic last name. However, according to him, the day he submitted his papers to be put on the ballot, two unknown challengers waited in the office to submit their papers directly behind him. These other challengers also had Hispanic names. The Illinois Policy Institute did some research, I believe, and was never able to find any trace of these two individuals.

Long story short. Madigan isn't going anywhere. 40 years of working himself into an impenetrable corner. His district needs to put aside their own self-interest for the good of the state. Apparently Madigan takes good care of his people. His daughter sure as hell isn't going to do her job either.
I'm sure we'll have a "Wonderful Life" style scene when they all come forward and tearfully agree to go against their own best municipal-employed and pensioned-up interests just to help the rest of us poor schmucks.

LOL!! Like that's gonna happen. The rest of the City, and the state, need to start voting more intelligently. And that includes considering choices without a "D" at the front of their name.

Old 07-05-2017, 04:21 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,504,826 times
"The rest of the City, and the state, need to start voting more intelligently. And that includes considering choices without a "D" at the front of their name..........."

Of course you mean "M" as the beginning of their last name!! Watch out for the other one that has as much control in the state......... Lisa MADIGAN!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago