Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 07:15 PM

1,022 posts, read 774,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
I had to chuckle at this myself. I mean really, what the hell did they think would happen? Were they not aware of reusable bags? Did they not think people would just carry their items without bags? Did they not think people would just load their items straight from the cart to their cars without bags? I got one of these puppies myself and I just tell the checkout person to load it up, no bags needed.
Good idea you have using something like that instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 08:30 PM

195 posts, read 214,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
Good idea you have using something like that instead.
I work in security and up until recently I worked to stop people from stealing because people will now come with their own bags, say they bought something (when they didn't and they know they are stealing) and then walk out into the sunshine with store merchandise.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:32 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Lugo View Post
Also duly noted. I will definitely do some research on Cleveland.

Weather is not a big factor in me choosing a city to live in personally. I lived in Florida and even in Miami during roasting hot 115 degree summers and in Chicago and even Milwaukee in -10 degree weather. I can deal with weather. Weather is not my main issue.

Security, customer service, and most recently night auditing. I think I will stay with night auditing though with security on the side.

It offers nothing though for what you pay in taxes. Countries like Denmark for instance tax you to the bone but have free healthcare and free college. In Chicago, you just get taxed because the city screwed up and didn't realize that they couldn't pay the pensions of Union workers, cops, fire fighters, teachers, etc and now the citizens have to suffer for the city's mistakes.
Really, you lived in Miami during a "roasting 115 summer"? I don't think Miami has reached 100 degrees since 1942, so you must be living in a different time than the rest of us. Florida actually has far worse schools than Illinois. Most people I know in Miami send their kids to charters or private schools. There are only a few counties that have relatively decent schools, and they are all in pretty far suburban areas (like St. Johns County near where you just left), where you will be driving a while to get to work.

There are certainly reasonably priced options, but Florida is not it. Rents have skyrocketed recently in most places. Just because you don't get taxed doesn't mean you don't pay for it elsewhere, and the wages are probably 20-30% lower to boot.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:14 PM

427 posts, read 1,224,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeohnny View Post
You're joking right? It's not so much the heat, it's the heat and the extreme humidity that lasts lots of months that makes it bad for most people. Yeah those other places are hotter, but that dosent mean Florida isn't super hot and uncomfortable because it is. If you look at the top ten most uncomfortable cities in the U.S for heat , several Florida cities made the list.
No, I actually wasn't joking. Your definition of uncomfortable and my definition of uncomfortable are probably much different. Have you ever done an IronMan triathlon? Have you ever run a marathon while temps were in the 90's? Have you ever been deployed to the Middle East for several months, where daytime highs were in the 100-125 range almost the entire time you were there? Well I have. I've done all those things, so the heat and humidity don't bother me.

I'm not a typical American though. I'm in great shape. I eat healthy, I'm a Vegan. I drink a lot of water, so I'm never dehydrated. I'm very active. For example, today the high was 104 where I am with about 75% humidity. I went on a 100 mile bicycle ride. That's my idea of a good time. Did I sweat, you bet, but that's why we have showers. This is my personal preference but I would much rather be somewhere hot than cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever_becoming View Post
A lot to do in Kansas City? Nashville has gotten some recent recognition but does it have much more than some bars filled with college students? I guess if a person is into country music it would be great? there's also no large body of water with beaches in those 3 cities, just dirty rivers.
It depends on personal preference, of course, but KC has a decent amount of activities for how cheap the cost of living is. I think KC is a better city with more to do than St. Louis and I know a lot Chicago natives that have relocated to St. Louis over the years. Probably due to job offers and proximity to Chicago. Given the choice though, I would pick KC over places like St. Louis, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Nashville etc. if I lived in Chicago and had to relocate somewhere else in the Midwest. Chicago is the clear Alpha Midwestern city so there's always going to be a drop off in culture and pure quantity of activities relocating to another smaller Midwestern city.

That pretty much sums up the premise of this thread. Is it worth it to leave a world class city in order to find a less expensive, better quality of life in another city? There are obviously a lot of factors that go into a decision like that, especially income but I would be inclined to say yes for the OP of this thread based on his circumstances.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:18 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,858,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Lugo View Post

3) YOU ARE A GANG MEMBER

The 3rd type of person in this city is gangmembers. Many of them love this city because they have their gang which is like their family to them. They can make great money in the drug biz and it's all untaxed so it's all off the books and they don't get the ridiculous amounts of taxes taken out of their pay. They also have their gangs to protect them so that way they can afford to live in really low rent neighborhoods that are filled with gangs and still have their gang to help protect them.
Perhaps you should join a gang.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:37 AM

32 posts, read 22,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx456 View Post
No, I actually wasn't joking. Your definition of uncomfortable and my definition of uncomfortable are probably much different. Have you ever done an IronMan triathlon? Have you ever run a marathon while temps were in the 90's? Have you ever been deployed to the Middle East for several months, where daytime highs were in the 100-125 range almost the entire time you were there? Well I have. I've done all those things, so the heat and humidity don't bother me.

I'm not a typical American though. I'm in great shape. I eat healthy, I'm a Vegan. I drink a lot of water, so I'm never dehydrated. I'm very active. For example, today the high was 104 where I am with about 75% humidity. I went on a 100 mile bicycle ride. That's my idea of a good time. Did I sweat, you bet, but that's why we have showers. This is my personal preference but I would much rather be somewhere hot than cold.

It depends on personal preference, of course, but KC has a decent amount of activities for how cheap the cost of living is. I think KC is a better city with more to do than St. Louis and I know a lot Chicago natives that have relocated to St. Louis over the years. Probably due to job offers and proximity to Chicago. Given the choice though, I would pick KC over places like St. Louis, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Nashville etc. if I lived in Chicago and had to relocate somewhere else in the Midwest. Chicago is the clear Alpha Midwestern city so there's always going to be a drop off in culture and pure quantity of activities relocating to another smaller Midwestern city.

That pretty much sums up the premise of this thread. Is it worth it to leave a world class city in order to find a less expensive, better quality of life in another city? There are obviously a lot of factors that go into a decision like that, especially income but I would be inclined to say yes for the OP of this thread based on his circumstances.
I'd like to see your list of activities in Kansas City.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Really, you lived in Miami during a "roasting 115 summer"? I don't think Miami has reached 100 degrees since 1942, so you must be living in a different time than the rest of us. Florida actually has far worse schools than Illinois. Most people I know in Miami send their kids to charters or private schools. There are only a few counties that have relatively decent schools, and they are all in pretty far suburban areas (like St. Johns County near where you just left), where you will be driving a while to get to work.

There are certainly reasonably priced options, but Florida is not it. Rents have skyrocketed recently in most places. Just because you don't get taxed doesn't mean you don't pay for it elsewhere, and the wages are probably 20-30% lower to boot.

I will not go to Miami. I will go to Tampa. It is 20% cheaper and without all of these taxes

Old 07-13-2017, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
Perhaps you should join a gang.
I have been offered the opportunity and I turned it down. Sad part is I am honestly not kidding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago