Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 08:01 AM

195 posts, read 214,744 times

Advertisements

I am constantly pulling double shifts, quick less than 8 hour turn-arounds until I go to the next job (so I do not get a lot of sleep), and feel like I can still never afford to have fun, go out, have a girlfriend or anything. I simply exist in Chicago to work and pay bills. Does anyone else here feel the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 08:17 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,571,939 times
No, I don't.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:33 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Lugo View Post
I am constantly pulling double shifts, quick less than 8 hour turn-arounds until I go to the next job (so I do not get a lot of sleep), and feel like I can still never afford to have fun, go out, have a girlfriend or anything. I simply exist in Chicago to work and pay bills. Does anyone else here feel the same?
Big cities can be dangerous. You are surrounded by people but can also be completely anonymous and lonely.

It sounds like you need to evaluate your life a little and figure out how to bring some people into it.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:00 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Lugo View Post
I felt like that before. Starting from age 19 and for most of my 20s I worked 2 jobs in Chicago.
Never had enough time nor money to enjoy the city the way I wanted to.

One particular span of 10 months, I took full time classes - 4/semester, 1 day job 30 hours and 1 night job starting off 2 nights a week----escalating to 4 nights a week. I barely slept or even spend time with my friends.

In those situations, something has to give.

This is probably partly a Chicago question---because Chicago can put you in this cycle. But also partly a economic/financial/job type question.

Perhaps you need to find a way to do either of the following:
- Get a better job with more money to afford to do what you want
- Get a set schedule so you can plan more, and get more sleep
- Relieve yourself of bills (any useless bills you can cut out?)
- Online dating like OkCupid, POF, and Tinder work great for someone who doesn't have time to do a lot of the whole bar, parties, social events and just wants to get straight to meeting someone. Perhaps use that to meet women.
- Move away from Chicago

Old 07-03-2017, 12:41 PM

123 posts, read 119,811 times
Well I believe it depends on where you live in chicago. Are you living beyond your means? If you are living by the lake in lakeview move to logan square where you will be paying less.

Or you can do what I am doing I am considering moving to somewhere out of state with cheaper cost of living.

THe chicago Lifestyle is for the rich you can only go out to eat so much and enjoy what chicago has to offer only so much if you are middle class.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:46 PM

1,022 posts, read 774,127 times
Sometimes if sure feels that way. Especially in Illinois where so much of our money is taken by taxes and it seems you are working just for that. Then after you pay bills with what little money you have left after taxes there is not much left to spend on fun. Plus you hardly have time or energy for fun after working and spending so much time commuting to and from work

Old 07-03-2017, 02:35 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,571,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
Sometimes if sure feels that way. Especially in Illinois where so much of our money is taken by taxes and it seems you are working just for that. Then after you pay bills with what little money you have left after taxes there is not much left to spend on fun. Plus you hardly have time or energy for fun after working and spending so much time commuting to and from work
Sounds like you need to either scale down your expenses or increase your income. The truth is unless you are single and make at least $120k($250k as a family), you're going to have to sacrifice something.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:40 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,316,982 times
I take it you're working at menial, low-wage jobs? If you're unable to do better than that, perhaps you'd be better off living in a second- or third-tier city where the cost of living is lower.

BTW, I've noticed by observing here in Cleveland that most people who work such jobs tend to make friends/find someone to date where they work.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:17 PM

3 posts, read 15,626 times
I feel the same and I'm in the Chicago suburbs. I think I just do a really bad job of spending my time wisely and planning things out. I spend a lot of my valuable time on the internet. And it's becoming very regretful.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:07 AM

195 posts, read 214,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Big cities can be dangerous. You are surrounded by people but can also be completely anonymous and lonely.

It sounds like you need to evaluate your life a little and figure out how to bring some people into it.
The problem is not bringing more people into my life. I have excellent people skills and am great and bringing people into my life; when it comes to dating with women and also with guys when it comes to friends. The problem is that I am working SO MANY hours that I have no time to do anything but work. I have looked and looked for jobs and I am lucky to even have a full time job here. I have a full time job and am also working a part time job on the side. I work 7 days a week just to barely hold my head above water. It is making me very mad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
I felt like that before. Starting from age 19 and for most of my 20s I worked 2 jobs in Chicago.
Never had enough time nor money to enjoy the city the way I wanted to.

One particular span of 10 months, I took full time classes - 4/semester, 1 day job 30 hours and 1 night job starting off 2 nights a week----escalating to 4 nights a week. I barely slept or even spend time with my friends.

In those situations, something has to give.

This is probably partly a Chicago question---because Chicago can put you in this cycle. But also partly a economic/financial/job type question.

Perhaps you need to find a way to do either of the following:
- Get a better job with more money to afford to do what you want
- Get a set schedule so you can plan more, and get more sleep
- Relieve yourself of bills (any useless bills you can cut out?)
- Online dating like OkCupid, POF, and Tinder work great for someone who doesn't have time to do a lot of the whole bar, parties, social events and just wants to get straight to meeting someone. Perhaps use that to meet women.
- Move away from Chicago
I am originally from Florida. I moved here because I thought it would be really cool and fun experience because there is so much to do. However, it is turning into a nightmare because I can never afford to do anything. I originally lived in Jacksonville, Florida, which is extremely boring. However, I am VERY VERY seriously considering moving to Tampa, Florida or Orlando where the cost of living is WAY WAY lower and you can still actually enjoy your life and not just feel like a slave too work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3goodmonths View Post
Well I believe it depends on where you live in chicago. Are you living beyond your means? If you are living by the lake in lakeview move to logan square where you will be paying less.

Or you can do what I am doing I am considering moving to somewhere out of state with cheaper cost of living.

THe chicago Lifestyle is for the rich you can only go out to eat so much and enjoy what chicago has to offer only so much if you are middle class.
I am living in a tiny, tiny 400 sq ft apartment studio with a room mate. I am not an idiot with money either, it's just that the city is just so damn expensive and they either raise or create a new tax every time you turn around. I'm getting very frustrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
Exactly....EXACTLY! You pretty much just took the words right out of my mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Sounds like you need to either scale down your expenses or increase your income. The truth is unless you are single and make at least $120k($250k as a family), you're going to have to sacrifice something.
With student loans, my jobs, and my room mate I think I may pull in 35k this year if I am lucky. I am DYING in this city. And the thought of homelessness constantly lingers over my head. I see homeless people everywhere here and it seems like once you become homeless it is VERY HARD if not impossible to come back up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago