Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which government do you think is worse & more dysfunctional
State of Illinois 46 73.02%
United States 17 26.98%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 06:57 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,831,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
You'd have to live under a rock and not see that our national government has become a complete train wreck. We are the laughing stock of the world.

Illinois government is corrupt but the federal government is corrupt and grossly incompetent, it's a freakin joke. Every day, I mean every day there is a new scandal.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 07:05 AM

1,022 posts, read 774,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Thank you.
They media should focus more on the joke that is Illinois because it is far worse.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:25 AM

934 posts, read 1,441,193 times
My vote goes to Illinois. I just don't like the "this is what happens when liberals run a state" rhetoric. I'm thinking, then what the hell is wrong with Kansas, or don't you hate what the liberals have done to Mississippi? Political corruption is not part of the ideology, as much as people would love to marry the two. You can have a liberal state with a balanced budget, same with a conservative state. However, when you have a state so beholden to one political party, it just breeds poor leadership.

As for the federal government, I do believe its gotten worse over the years, but I'm pissed because one of the main strategic points for campaigning for political parties has been convincing the population that the federal government is worse than it actually is as a means to dismantle whatever party is currently in the majority. It's been completely effective. As a result, being an "outsider" with no political experience became a selling point in this previous election.

Last edited by thefallensrvnge; 07-13-2017 at 09:45 AM..

Old 07-13-2017, 11:27 AM

2,112 posts, read 1,141,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
They media should focus more on the joke that is Illinois because it is far worse.
The only people who can't see the dysfunction in the White House and their administration are extremists or people who are completely out of the loop

Old 07-13-2017, 11:42 AM

1,022 posts, read 774,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
The only people who can't see the dysfunction in the White House and their administration are extremists or people who are completely out of the loop
Same can be said of those who do not see the insanity of what has been going on in Illinois. You have to be blind, deaf and dumb not to see the mess this state has been in for years now. Let me guess you also did not know that people are fleeing this state more than any other state in the country? That figures well now you know

Old 07-13-2017, 11:43 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
My vote goes to Illinois. I just don't like the "this is what happens when liberals run a state" rhetoric. I'm thinking, then what the hell is wrong with Kansas, or don't you hate what the liberals have done to Mississippi? Political corruption is not part of the ideology, as much as people would love to marry the two. You can have a liberal state with a balanced budget, same with a conservative state. However, when you have a state so beholden to one political party, it just breeds poor leadership.

As for the federal government, I do believe its gotten worse over the years, but I'm pissed because one of the main strategic points for campaigning for political parties has been convincing the population that the federal government is worse than it actually is as a means to dismantle whatever party is currently in the majority. It's been completely effective. As a result, being an "outsider" with no political experience became a selling point in this previous election.
Whatever is wrong with Kansas or Mississippi at least the govt there doesn't tax people out of their homes. That is only a problem with Democrat run states like CA, IL, NJ (Yes I know Christie is a Republican so is Rauner for all the good it has done), NY, and CT.

Old 07-13-2017, 06:28 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,571,939 times
Quote:
darned right I did. I find our national government to be a disaster.
Maybe, but not as much of a disaster as this state.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Whatever is wrong with Kansas or Mississippi at least the govt there doesn't tax people out of their homes. That is only a problem with Democrat run states like CA, IL, NJ (Yes I know Christie is a Republican so is Rauner for all the good it has done), NY, and CT.
maybe the red states have it so good because it is the blue states that are contributing to their tax benefits from the federal government. The red states receive more in tax income than they put in; for the blue states that is reversed.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-mos...0/#red-vs-blue

Old 07-14-2017, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Maybe, but not as much of a disaster as this state.
I disagree. And we are far more affected by our federal government than our state government. Look at approval ratings for our president, our Congress (single digits, I believe) and the incredible mess that is the Supreme Court. Americans are fed up with their national government and don't feel it is the least bit responsive to their needs. I would think the vast majority of Americans get it: the federal government is there to serve the very wealthy, the corporate interests. The government has been bought and paid for by the very rich. It is a joke to even suggest there is any sort of democracy in place right now.

That takes nothing away from Illinois's problems. I'm just suggesting that many of us feel the federal government is far worse than the state.....and that we are more impacted by what happens in Washington than what happens in Springfield.

Sorry, South Sider, I don't consider oligarchy to be the best form of government and today that is what the United States of America is.

Last edited by edsg25; 07-14-2017 at 05:59 AM..

Old 07-14-2017, 08:17 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,571,939 times
Quote:
I disagree. And we are far more affected by our federal government than our state government. Look at approval ratings for our president, our Congress (single digits, I believe) and the incredible mess that is the Supreme Court. Americans are fed up with their national government and don't feel it is the least bit responsive to their needs. I would think the vast majority of Americans get it: the federal government is there to serve the very wealthy, the corporate interests. The government has been bought and paid for by the very rich. It is a joke to even suggest there is any sort of democracy in place right now.

That takes nothing away from Illinois's problems. I'm just suggesting that many of us feel the federal government is far worse than the state.....and that we are more impacted by what happens in Washington than what happens in Springfield.

Sorry, South Sider, I don't consider oligarchy to be the best form of government and today that is what the United States of America is.
America has been an oligarchy for at least the past 100 years. Are you just waking up to this fact?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago