Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 12:42 AM

10 posts, read 42,723 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I'm potentially moving from New York to Chicago in a few months for work. Thinking about neighborhoods for a young professional.

In terms of rent, I currently pay close to 4,000 here in Greenwich /West Village for a 5th floor walk up, although I would love to find something cheaper in Chicago. Thinking around the 3k range to save money.

I definitely love where I am now given that the neighborhood is walkable, fun, has a neighborhood feel (no high rises) and pretty close to my office. Also it's quiet at night which I like.

If I worked in the loop (east side), what would be some good recommendations of areas to look at? I don't care so much about it being super young, but wouldn't like a family feel either. Definitely walking/quick L ride to the loop strongly preferred.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 04:48 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,179,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasmgill View Post
Hey all, I'm potentially moving from New York to Chicago in a few months for work. Thinking about neighborhoods for a young professional.

In terms of rent, I currently pay close to 4,000 here in Greenwich /West Village for a 5th floor walk up, although I would love to find something cheaper in Chicago. Thinking around the 3k range to save money.

I definitely love where I am now given that the neighborhood is walkable, fun, has a neighborhood feel (no high rises) and pretty close to my office. Also it's quiet at night which I like.

If I worked in the loop (east side), what would be some good recommendations of areas to look at? I don't care so much about it being super young, but wouldn't like a family feel either. Definitely walking/quick L ride to the loop strongly preferred.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Every neighborhood is well below what you'd like to pay in rent. Your best bets might be Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park and Old Town. You should have no issue finding something well below $3k per month.

West Loop may also be an option, but you'd have to walk the neighborhood to get a feel. The eastern portion of the neighborhood has some high rises, but the more recently developed portion has more mid rises. You won't find as many walk up type buildings in West Loop than in other areas I mentioned.

River North probably has some of the nicest apartments, but I'd avoid based on what you're looking for as it's mostly high rises and doesn't at all have a neighborhood feel.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:46 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times
If you like the West Village, Lincoln Park and Bucktown are your best bets.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:13 AM

504 posts, read 495,792 times
Lincoln Park, or somewhere along the blue line like Wicker Park. You are looking at a lot less than 3k if you look around.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:36 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,916 times
You definitely don't need to pay $3,000. The neighborhoods mentioned above are your best options. There are definite differences between them, so you'll have to do some exploring to decide which is right for you.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:39 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
Wicker Park, Bucktown, Logan Square, Roscoe Village, North Center, Lincoln Square, are all good places to look depending on what you like. Get close to the L line. You won't pay as much rent here as in NY and you will never have a fifth floor walk up buildings here are no more than three stories max or they have elevators.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:49 AM

672 posts, read 757,128 times
I'd second Lincoln Park around the Armitage brown line stop (15 mins to Loop), or Wicker Park near the Damen blue line stop (10 mins to Loop). Both are low-rise, dense, relatively walkable and decently interesting. Just keep in mind: I love Chicago, but you're not going to find anything like the Village there.

Have fun!

Old 07-28-2017, 01:15 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,848,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Wicker Park, Bucktown, Logan Square, Roscoe Village, North Center, Lincoln Square, are all good places to look depending on what you like. Get close to the L line. You won't pay as much rent here as in NY and you will never have a fifth floor walk up buildings here are no more than three stories max or they have elevators.
Roscoe is very quiet and loaded with strollers/families, which isn't what you are looking for.

Logan Square, North Center and Lincoln Square are all great, but you'd be looking at decent commute from these neighborhoods. These are more distant (but nice) neighborhoods. I have colleagues who live in these places and it can take them 45 minutes to get to the loop.

Chicago has nothing quite like GV in Manhattan. Lincoln Park is the closest to it, and the best neighborhood for you, I suspect. Bucktown was another very good suggestion.

Wicker Park is cool, but VERY hipster/artsy. If you like that kind of thing, go there, if not, don't.

Old 07-29-2017, 05:29 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Based on your criteria and your work located in the loop, I would suggest looking at Lincoln Park or Old Town first (located conveniently to both downtown and other north side neighborhoods, mix of young professionals and families, more low-rise buildings/housing, restaurants, bars, grocery stores, lots of shopping options), and possibly parts of Lakeview.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:09 PM

10 posts, read 42,723 times
Thanks for all of the excellent advice so far.

I'm really disappointed that there's nothing like the Village in Chicago, but I guess there are other advantages to neighborhoods as well.

I guess something else that's pretty important is short commute times / potential walkability to work. I know this depends where in the Loop I work, but so far only River North and West Loop really seem to be close enough to walk.

The other neighborhoods like Lincoln Park seem a bit too far for my taste - I guess I'm spoiled that Manhattan has mid-rise neighborhoods so close to the main business districts.

And yes, the cost is significantly lower in Chicago!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago