Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 05:46 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound2 View Post
Taxes are American as apple pie pay with pride! Enjoy energy drink while helping Chicago schools!!!!
Cook Co Taxes don't support schools. They support the patronage dumping ground that is the Cook Co Govt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 05:02 PM

796 posts, read 931,038 times
Quote:
No it sure a couple cents matter . Like with bags I see people carrying loose groceries because they do not want to pay seven cents for bag , cheap or protesting? Don't we tax things that are bad for health are you against high priced cigs?
it's not a few cents. on a 2 liter it's like 67 cents which is basically 50% additional in taxes. on a case of pop, you're looking at like an extra $4. it's absurd. luckily, I'm down in texas now not paying state taxes and dealing with that bull****.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:20 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
No it sure a couple cents matter . Like with bags I see people carrying loose groceries because they do not want to pay seven cents for bag , cheap or protesting? Don't we tax things that are bad for health are you against high priced cigs?
Yes i think its crazy when you have 10 items and the cashier asks if you want a bag? Of course! If I am paying $100 for groceries, i will pay 7 cents for a bag.

I am lucky that I don't drink pop, so the tax won't affect me. It won't hit bottled water either.

I also don't smoke so cig tax won't affect me but my friend did smoke when we went to Michigan, a pack of cigs in Illinois is $13.00 but in Indiana and Michigan it was about $6.00.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:41 PM

605 posts, read 711,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
People should not buy this stuff then that way they do not get the money they think they will get. Look at how upset the mayor was when it turned out they did not get anywhere near the the kind of money they thought they were going to get from the bag tax because people started using their own bags. They want to take our money with the soda tax do not give them that either
Here's the thing though. When they propose these taxes, they "project" how much they will take in (of course it's always inflated and doesn't take into account the changes in people's spending habits as a result of the new taxes), but they don't care because they SPEND, in advance, the amount they intend to bring in (fully knowing they won't bring all that money in). But it's an excuse to spend more in the moment without getting questioned because the money is supposedly accounted for. Until it's not. Which only brings on more taxes because they just run a bigger shortfall. It's lunacy.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:36 PM

426 posts, read 334,309 times
How about cutting the payroll before you raise taxes? Toni Preckwinkle told the Chicago Sun-Times Editorial Board the county is struggling to make payroll because the state owes it $66 million. Cook County’s payroll includes 21,969 full-time employees earning a collective $1.528 billion. A 5% across-the-board pay cut would bridge a $66 million budget gap but Preckwinkle isn’t proposing any pay cuts for Cook County employees.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:51 AM

725 posts, read 3,014,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Also, let's pretend that I buy a 20 pack of bottled water every month. That's $1 every month, or $12 every year.
I don't think water is included in the tax and from my understanding it's mostly sugar-filled drinks, but agree with your post that it all adds up.

My friend told me that Boulder passed a 6 cent/oz tax on the same issue. That's crazy!

If the tax is supposed to deter consumers from unhealthy drinking habits, I think the tax should also apply to the manufacturer to be truly effective. Only time will tell.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:29 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nginmyheart View Post
I don't think water is included in the tax and from my understanding it's mostly sugar-filled drinks, but agree with your post that it all adds up.
There's a separate bottled water tax in Chicago. > https://www.cityofchicago.org/city/e...water_tax.html

Next will probably be a tax on how much air you breathe, steps walked and for each word spoken.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:33 PM

1,022 posts, read 774,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
There's a separate bottled water tax in Chicago. > https://www.cityofchicago.org/city/e...water_tax.html

Next will probably be a tax on how much air you breathe, steps walked and for each word spoken.
Don't worry that is coming I am sure

Old 08-04-2017, 11:37 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manterro View Post
How about cutting the payroll before you raise taxes? Toni Preckwinkle told the Chicago Sun-Times Editorial Board the county is struggling to make payroll because the state owes it $66 million. Cook County’s payroll includes 21,969 full-time employees earning a collective $1.528 billion. A 5% across-the-board pay cut would bridge a $66 million budget gap but Preckwinkle isn’t proposing any pay cuts for Cook County employees.
Trouble with pay cuts is you lose your best workers, especially in a relatively tight labor market, which does currently exist. They could get away with it during the financial crisis because where would people go, but not today. Also, many of those workers are covered by Union agreements, which you can't just unilaterally change.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:41 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaniemac View Post
it's not a few cents. on a 2 liter it's like 67 cents which is basically 50% additional in taxes. on a case of pop, you're looking at like an extra $4. it's absurd. luckily, I'm down in texas now not paying state taxes and dealing with that bull****.
Yeah a friend of mine put the receipt from a case of soda on Facebook and with the sugar tax plus the sales tax, plus the other drink tax, the tax was like 60% of the price - in other words, it more than doubled the price. I imagine tourists were especially shocked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago