Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you Love Chicago
Yes 65 73.03%
NO 24 26.97%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 03:38 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,377,149 times

Advertisements

As someone who has never been to Chicago apart from its airport... I have an inexplicable urge to move there. I absolutely love the city and it is beyond me why. My absolute favorite American city. The comments on this thread are golden, you guys really love Chicago for those who live there. Not to mention, it seems Chicago has much nicer and more laidback people versus NYC and LA. All the people I ever met from Chicago are nice... one Chicago native on the plane to Chicago kept insisting we visit some day. Now, I may be wrong about all this as these are assumptions based off of limited experience and this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 04:55 PM

944 posts, read 1,197,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco1234 View Post
For the third time: you originally made ridiculous generalizations about Georgia. I called you out on them. I didn't just start an argument about one place being better. I was letting you know that what you said was incorrect. And I don't care who likes what, obviously people like different things. I could care less. I'm saying: don't say living in Georgia = crappy schools and low salaries! It isn't true.
You keep on saying stuff like this without acknowledging the giant elephant in all of your posts, which Atlanta_BD pointed out immediately: the fact that you and your husband are upper middle class professionals who could probably live comfortably in a nice suburb anywhere. So your preference for Georgia doesn't relate to anything objective, instead it's strictly values dissonance at play wherein you are prioritizing a larger house for less money near mountain scenery while others would prefer a dense and walkable urban environment. o Georgia meets your needs better than Chicago, but that is not because Georgia has anything special going on... it's subjective and you can afford to live more comfortably than most.

Certainly, my cousin moved south from Chicago and found himself making less money doing the same type of low skilled work in a non-union shop. Higher wages means higher taxes and higher COL generally. It's a tradeoff.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:00 PM

4,629 posts, read 4,917,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
You keep on saying stuff like this without acknowledging the giant elephant in all of your posts, which Atlanta_BD pointed out immediately: the fact that you and your husband are upper middle class professionals who could probably live comfortably in a nice suburb anywhere. So your preference for Georgia doesn't relate to anything objective, instead it's strictly values dissonance at play wherein you are prioritizing a larger house for less money near mountain scenery while others would prefer a dense and walkable urban environment. o Georgia meets your needs better than Chicago, but that is not because Georgia has anything special going on... it's subjective and you can afford to live more comfortably than most.

Certainly, my cousin moved south from Chicago and found himself making less money doing the same type of low skilled work in a non-union shop. Higher wages means higher taxes and higher COL generally. It's a tradeoff.

The thread is called "do you love Chicago," and you're criticizing someone for sharing a subjective viewpoint? That seems a bit...nonsensical.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
The thread is called "do you love Chicago," and you're criticizing someone for sharing a subjective viewpoint? That seems a bit...nonsensical.
I'm criticizing somebody for using subjective criteria to attempts to make an absolute point about the Sun Belt and why it is superior to the rest of the country without acknowledging that they're only entitled to think that subjectively because of innate privilege

Old 08-21-2017, 10:34 PM

4,629 posts, read 4,917,449 times
What "innate privilege" is reflected in a preference to work and raise a family in the suburbs of Atlanta versus Chicago?

Old 08-22-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
What "innate privilege" is reflected in a preference to work and raise a family in the suburbs of Atlanta versus Chicago?
The chain begins with a poster claiming to have not liked living in the south due to wages being lower, the second poster chimes in to dispute this because she and her husband were able to move to an expensive Atlanta suburb and have enjoyed it.

So here the innate privileged is being a white collar professional who, due to their profession, isn't worrying about whether low-skilled wage work pays better or not in one place or another.

Old 08-22-2017, 04:28 PM

335 posts, read 330,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
The chain begins with a poster claiming to have not liked living in the south due to wages being lower, the second poster chimes in to dispute this because she and her husband were able to move to an expensive Atlanta suburb and have enjoyed it.

So here the innate privileged is being a white collar professional who, due to their profession, isn't worrying about whether low-skilled wage work pays better or not in one place or another.
First- I grew up with no privledge. Divorced parents, single mom who didn't attend college. Student loans... Chose a great profession and worked my a** off.
My husband changed careers and worked his a** off as well.

Also- who said I didn't "care about" people with lower wages? You're imagining that! I simply disputed that making blanket statements and assuming "all schools here and bad and wages are low" is idiotic. I don't know how many times or how many ways I can explain that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago