Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:30 AM

11 posts, read 24,059 times

Advertisements

Would I be nuts to think I could find a newer place in that price range?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 12:34 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Probably. With a newer place, you're paying more to help the builder/owner/developer/whoever recover a lot of upfront costs. With older places, much of those costs are already recovered.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:34 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkschicago View Post
Would I be nuts to think I could find a newer place in that price range?
Probably but not in all cases. It depends where you are looking. Why do you need a new place? Many new places are built like crap.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:40 AM

Well the reason I am looking at newer places is because all of the placed I have found which were built before around 95 (guess) are built in a very closed off style. i.e. four walls divide each room. This drives me nuts esp in the winter when you feel boxed in anyways. The newer buildings generally tend to have a more open living area.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:47 AM

In that case, I invite you again to check out the unit above me. The living room and dining room are pretty much open to one another. I would estimate that combined they are about 800 square feet. They do have some wall to separate the two and give them each their own function, but the archway between them is about 9 feet wide.

Also, it's not uncommon to find units in vintage buildings that have been rehabbed with a more open floor plan.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:39 PM

184 posts, read 766,362 times
So $1250 is OK but $1500 is not? Surely tou realize that the cost of your daily commute from Indiana to the Loop will eat up more than the difference? And gasoline is only going to go higher. And I think that back-breaking commute will leave you very little free time for the home office work you describe.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:50 PM

Well, I don't know how else to help the woman. I offer to hook her up with an apartment that fits all of her stated needs and then some at well under her budget, but she's still not interested. As far as I'm concerned, she's on her own.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:08 PM

184 posts, read 766,362 times
Another observation: The open floor plan she likes might work well in California, but in Highland, IN it will increase her utility costs to control her indoor climate.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:01 PM

Wow.

First, I would appreciate a tip on the affordable apartment. I have been traveling to visit family and as such have not been able to respond. Often there are many reasons why people don't reply immediately to these message boards.

Second, my earlier post stated that 1500 was "getting high." That does not mean that a place at 1500 was not an option.

Thank you for the observations regarding the commute. I did factor all of this in when deciding whether or not to even consider the location in Indiana. These considerations did include the cost of paying for parking near the places in the city which I am considering combined with the cost of taking the L on a daily basis vs. the cost of parking near my office and the cost of gasoline which is much cheaper in Indiana. As for the open floor plan vs. the closed floor plans/older buildings in regards to utility bills, I have spoken with residents of the complex (outside the oversight of the office) in order to determine utility bills. The open plan does not seem to vary much in cost of utilities. Additionally, I currently live in an open floor plan apartment and the utilities do not differ significantly from the closed plan apartment which I lived in prior even when inflation is factored into the bills. Additionally, I have noticed that many of the older apartments are difficult to heat in the winter because of old drafty windows. I would say from what I have discovered, it depends more on the construction of the building then on the floorplan, but I am by no means an expert. Thank you for pointing out additional things to consider though!

Old 03-16-2008, 01:02 AM

I assumed a lack of interest on your part because you were still online and posting responses in real time when I first offered and you didn't seem to notice.

Anyway, I will send you my landlady's phone number in a private message. If you do take the apartment, I can hook you up with wi-fi internet access for a very fair price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago