U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 08:14 PM

11 posts, read 22,850 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Chicago to work downtown (off Wabash/Wacker) and am considering moving into Highland, Indiana. What are the costs/benefits of doing this? Is it worth it in terms of commute/cost of living?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 10:24 PM

38,704 posts, read 97,470,277 times
The way I see it, here are your options:

1) Drive and pay about $300/mo to park;

2) Drive to and park at the East Chicago or Gary airport stations of the South Shore train;

3) Find somewhere closer to a Metra line to live.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:57 PM

If I make the move to Highland, I would most likely be driving. The location is just off the interstate. The apartment is brand new, nearing 1300 square feet, has an attached garage, and includes water in the rent of 1250. This seems like a decent deal. Thoughts?

Old 03-12-2008, 11:00 PM

15,585 posts, read 25,698,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkschicago View Post
If I make the move to Highland, I would most likely be driving. The location is just off the interstate. The apartment is brand new, nearing 1300 square feet, has an attached garage, and includes water in the rent of 1250. This seems like a decent deal. Thoughts?
Not worth it. It all depends on how much money you make though and how much you are willing to spend on rent,tolls,parking in Chicago...

Old 03-12-2008, 11:10 PM

Do you have any suggestions for a comparable rental in the city? I am not very familiar with the rental market in the city. The places I have been able to find (on the internet, as I am moving from out of state) have been around the 1200-1300 for around 750 square feet with additional parking fees. I will have a car as I have family out of the reach of the public transport.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Do you have any suggestions for a comparable rental in the city? I am not very familiar with the rental market in the city. The places I have been able to find (on the internet, as I am moving from out of state) have been around the 1200-1300 for around 750 square feet with additional parking fees. I will have a car as I have family out of the reach of the public transport.
How many bedrooms do you desire? What are you looking for in an area? Gay-Straight? Single-SO? Etc...

For the price, you will not likely to get as large as an apartment in the city as you would in Indiana unless you live in the ghetto.

Many areas in Chicago you do not need a parking space or garage. You can park on the street (if your area requires permit parking-you can buy the permit)...

Like I said it depends on how much money you make and/or how much money you are willing to spend...

There are places you can get 750 sf for 700-1000 a month. There are many factors involved here...

Old 03-12-2008, 11:21 PM

I prefer two bedrooms or at least a place with a separate den or dining room. I will likely be doing a lot of work from home in the evening hours and would like to have an office. I am single, 26, straight and make six figures. However, I don't want to spend what I see as a nutty amount on rent. To me, 1500 is getting high and 1600 stabs at the heart (I am origionally a small town person, though lately have been living in places much larger than Chicago).

Old 03-12-2008, 11:30 PM

38,704 posts, read 97,470,277 times
The apartment above me is for rent right now. It's two bedroom with a huge living room and dining room and back storage room, totaling over 1200 square feet. Hardwood floors throughout. It's an 8-minute walk to an L station where a Blue Line train will pick you up and drop you off a block and a half from your office in about 20 minutes. Street parking is so plentiful that you could drive a school bus to work and still find a parking spot for it when you get home. Even so, our off-street space is large enough that we might be able to squeeze your car in next to ours.

Last I heard the landlord was asking $850/mo for it, though it sounds like they've been doing some work to it so maybe they've upped it to $900. It's not a sleek, modern luxury flat but it's reasonably charming and very spacious.

Heat and electric are separate. The only downside is the windows are old and leaky so your heating bill can be a bit stiff -- up to $200/mo in the winter. But considering your income and your stated budget, it seems like you can handle it.

Let me know if you'd like my landlord's number.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
I prefer two bedrooms or at least a place with a separate den or dining room. I will likely be doing a lot of work from home in the evening hours and would like to have an office. I am single, 26, straight and make six figures. However, I don't want to spend what I see as a nutty amount on rent. To me, 1500 is getting high and 1600 stabs at the heart (I am origionally a small town person, though lately have been living in places much larger than Chicago).
Well you can get a 2 BR in Chicago less than 1000 or even around 800 for that matter. Not as much sf as you would get in Indiana but...

It depends also on what sort of lifestyle you lead in terms of meeting people , etc. If you want to save some bucks even making 6 figures, there are plenty of places were you can pay much less rent in Chicago or Indiana for that matter...

Old 03-12-2008, 11:38 PM

Any suggestions that I am just missing in my internet browsing? I have seen many cheaper places in NW Indiana but they are mostly extremely old and generally seem to be making the difference in rent in high heating in drafty old buildings and high water bills. If I were to go closer to the city, I would probably be looking at Lincoln Park, Lakeview, or the West Loop. Any suggestions there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago