Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 12:56 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,194,357 times

Advertisements

Plenty of forest preserves.

Oregon il, starved rock area, devils lake area/pewits nest (wisconsin) , and cave of the mounds are day trips.

Shawnee forest and pictured rocks are multi day trips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 04:23 PM

7,234 posts, read 5,110,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
When you consider the raw natural beauty available out west and say whats available to someone within driving distance of SF, Seattle, Denver, LA, etc, we are severely lacking in that department. .
The Chicago area doesn't have the geologic majesty of sites out west, but to a lover of nature, the abundant water & fertile soils provide extremely rich biodiversity. Some of us find swamps lovely. Chicago is on a major bird migration route and bird watchers would rather see a black billed cuckoo just once than a sunset over the mountains. De gustibus non est disputandum.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:08 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,894,530 times
Cool city bike rides? I'm surprised nobody mentioned the 606, but it's only about three miles long. Plenty of others, though. Forest Preserve trails as well as the lakefront and the cool bike lane downtown on Dearborn St. Some indoor attractions: Peggy Noteabert Nature Museum in Lincoln Park, and the Garfield Park Conservatory.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:28 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,307 times
I think Daley had trees planted around the downtown area. That counts as nature engagement, right?

There's also a walking path along Lake Michigan, on LSD.

That's... about as much as personally want to be contact with the outdoors. Who moves to Chicago for prime water rafting? Go to the opera!

Old 08-10-2017, 06:54 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,122,453 times
Awesome replies guys! So much info here!

This is what I was hoping for . Looking at Chicago from the 50 mile Google Earth view, my fear was that Chicago would be like a Dallas, where their really isn't much to do from an outdoor perspective and people just aren't interested in being outside or looking at nature.

Like you guys pointed out, there's a bit of a trade off between access to nature and being close to the action downtown, but there are options to live near either of them and if you are willing to drive/commute a bit, you can have both.

This definitely bumps up Chicago as a desirable place I would be willing to relocate to. Also, it gives me some ideas of things to see when I go out to visit the city here soon!

Last edited by Phil P; 08-10-2017 at 07:08 PM..

Old 08-10-2017, 06:56 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,907,485 times
I love Chicago, but it just doesn't strike me as overly "natural", I never found loads of heavily tree-lined streets, or any truly breathtaking natural scenery, outside of perhaps the shore of Lake Michigan. The area doesn't conjure up the same images as would the Pacific coast, or much of New England..

Old 08-10-2017, 07:18 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,122,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I love Chicago, but it just doesn't strike me as overly "natural", I never found loads of heavily tree-lined streets, or any truly breathtaking natural scenery, outside of perhaps the shore of Lake Michigan. The area doesn't conjure up the same images as would the Pacific coast, or much of New England..
I knew Chicago wouldn't have the same natural grandeur as other cities, but my hope was that it at least it wouldn't be devoid of nature and natural beauty and people who enjoy it.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:33 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
The second largest central business district in the United States didn't strike you as "natural"?

The massive population density sheltered in high-rises, walk-ups, apartments, flats, and townhouses spread in a highly concentrated area wasn't the same as Yosemite Park?

As for your second charge, I suspect you've never actually been in Chicago. I live in a neighborhood with nothing but tree-lined streets with a thick canopy in the summer.

By the by, there's nothing "natural" in New York City, either, which has significantly less green space than Chicago. Chicago, just like New York, has a lot of empty wilderness around it. That's hardly specific to New England.

Here I was, all this time, assuming my townhome was smack-dab in the center of the Everglades, and not the third largest city in the United States.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:47 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,194,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
The second largest central business district in the United States didn't strike you as "natural"?

The massive population density sheltered in high-rises, walk-ups, apartments, flats, and townhouses spread in a highly concentrated area wasn't the same as Yosemite Park?

As for your second charge, I suspect you've never actually been in Chicago. I live in a neighborhood with nothing but tree-lined streets with a thick canopy in the summer.

By the by, there's nothing "natural" in New York City, either, which has significantly less green space than Chicago. Chicago, just like New York, has a lot of empty wilderness around it. That's hardly specific to New England.

Here I was, all this time, assuming my townhome was smack-dab in the center of the Everglades, and not the third largest city in the United States.
Dude. Look at San Fran.
It's straight up denser than Chicago on par with Manhattan and you can literally bike ride across the golden gate to straight up nature.

Being in a city doesn't mean you can't access nature.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:00 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post

Yes, no one visits many of the city's neighborhoods and doesn't note so many trees. The sought after North and Northwest of downtown neighborhoods ...... have NO shortage if trees. West of the Loop with many warehouses to lofts for example. Will have a bit less and some older areas streets were raised back in a day widening streets and a bit less frontage as the vast majority of the city has with required setbacks of homes for front green-space.

North side looking toward downtown.

Last edited by DavePa; 05-01-2018 at 07:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago