Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do Chicagoans wish the city were located on the East Coast?
Yes 10 17.86%
No 46 82.14%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 09:16 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,283,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Well I haven't been in a while, but do you mean to tell me that Chicagoans are noticeably that much nicer? I mean really there are no rude people in a city that big? I find that hard to believe.
How can you say with absolute authority that Chicagoans are not noticeably nicer? Do you know unequivocally that because Chicago is a big city that Chicagoans are rude?

Wow, I missed that in that post from cfbs and I was just getting ready to go down into the city. Well, that's off my list of things to do today, maybe tomorrow.

Last edited by HomeIsWhere...; 08-15-2017 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: 'spelling'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 09:22 AM

5,016 posts, read 7,402,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Wow, I missed that in that post from cfbs and I was just getting ready to go down into the city. Well, that's off my list of things to do today, maybe tomorrow.
hysterical

Spend a day or two in Boca Raton, FL and then spend some time in Chicago.
The way people behave couldn't be more different.
It's very noticeable.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:45 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,050 posts, read 7,435,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
How can you say with absolute authority that Chicagoans are not noticeably nicer? Do you know unequivocally that because Chicago is a big city that Chicagoans are rude?

It goes both ways. I've met people from small town America who were rude or disrespectful before, so certainly Chicago a city of almost 3 million people is capable of having nice folks and rude ones.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:05 AM

5,016 posts, read 7,402,784 times
Quote:
what I'm getting at is, as Chicagoans do they prefer to be in a Midwest region where their city is the only world class one in the entire region, or would they prefer it that they were a part of a region with many other world class/highly important cities close by.
This is completely insulting and rude to the entire Midwest.
But it's so rude it's funny.
What meter do you use OP to measure what cities are "important" and what cities aren't?
Do you think everyone in the Midwest wishes they lived on the east coast?

I'm guessing that you assumed everyone who took your poll was going to vote that they wished Chicago could be moved to the east coast?

Last edited by cfbs2691; 08-15-2017 at 11:29 AM..

Old 08-15-2017, 02:26 PM

4,068 posts, read 7,277,555 times
Quote:
Well I haven't been in a while, but do you mean to tell me that Chicagoans are noticeably that much nicer? I mean really there are no rude people in a city that big? I find that hard to believe.
There are plenty of rude people in Chicago.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:04 PM

4,488 posts, read 4,552,933 times
Quote:
Do Chicagoans feel like their city could jump up and be propped over to the East Coast? The city anchors a Midwest region of over 65 million people, in which many people from media to politics still over look. The city of Chicago is beloved by most people that I know personally, but often times the Midwest (not necessarily Chicago) is viewed as "flyover" country. I have relatives throughout the Midwest and those sentiments have come out from time to time. The media coverage at least nationally always seems to center around both coasts, with Chicago being a distant third with regards to the coverage. How is that the case being a world class city that it is the 3rd largest urban metropolis and media market in the country? Couple that with much of the biased coverage being about the crime in Chicago, which we know plagues much of urban America. If Chicago were on the East Coast, what would be different about the city, and what would be different about the respective regions of the Midwest or Eastern Seaboard?

Thoughts...

Also I guess I should have worded my poll differently, as to say provide more than just a simple yes or no. If it is a "no" is that because you prefer living in the Midwest region as a whole, or possibly even love the fact that Chicago dominates its region that much? Or do you not like to associate with the EC? Whatever reasons for saying yes or no, I'd like to understand.
I think Chicago should be on the Gulf Coast, between Houston and Corpus Christi. Demographically speaking, large populations of Hispanics, blacks and working class whites, Chicago would fit better in Texas than it would on the East Coast.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:35 PM

14,801 posts, read 17,587,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I think Chicago should be on the Gulf Coast, between Houston and Corpus Christi. Demographically speaking, large populations of Hispanics, blacks and working class whites, Chicago would fit better in Texas than it would on the East Coast.
No thanks, the weather is awful down there.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:45 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,050 posts, read 7,435,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
This is completely insulting and rude to the entire Midwest.
But it's so rude it's funny.
What meter do you use OP to measure what cities are "important" and what cities aren't?
Do you think everyone in the Midwest wishes they lived on the east coast?

I'm guessing that you assumed everyone who took your poll was going to vote that they wished Chicago could be moved to the east coast?
What cities of the Midwest are more important than DC, Philadelphia, and Boston? Also was not making that statement to insult Midwestern cities as I have family in many of them.

I think there are people in the Midwest that would much rather live on the coasts than in "flyover country" yes. I know many are happy there and that's why they still live there, but still look at the rate of people moving towards the coasts/south and tell me that doesn't say something about the Midwest as a whole.

Chicago is an outlier in its region, of course you have pretty much all the amenities anybody would need in a city of its size. But there is something to be said about the region of the country a city is in. Seattle is in a beautiful region of the country for example, and many people love being there due to its region and isolation, yet still access to Vancouver or Portland or Spokane. Chicago is in a region where no city comes close to being half of what it is for maybe 1000 miles. This is completely different from what people experience living on the coasts.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:01 PM

2,556 posts, read 3,602,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
uh, no. I can't think of any place in the country that would be a worse fit for Chicago than Texas. Think about it.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:27 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,539,004 times
This is one of the dumber posts I've seen in awhile and that's saying something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago