Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Love chicago?
Yes 38 63.33%
No 22 36.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 08:34 AM

14 posts, read 17,299 times

Advertisements

im sick of hearing media outlets ****ting on the great city. It keeps people from movig here. I still think there is no city like Chocago.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:48 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,939,362 times
I agree. Some of it is political, some of it is real because of the shootings and crime that hits the news, as well as the bad fiscal situation in Illinois. There is bad crime elsewhere, high taxes in other places and bad politicians too. Ever heard of politicians wanting to take health care away from twenty million people? They are bad too.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:13 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,458,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
I agree. Some of it is political, some of it is real because of the shootings and crime that hits the news, as well as the bad fiscal situation in Illinois. There is bad crime elsewhere, high taxes in other places and bad politicians too. Ever heard of politicians wanting to take health care away from twenty million people? They are bad too.
There is every reason to criticize Chicago right now. Our mind-blowing murder tally has made us national media fodder. Many on here obviously disagree with me but I think the fact that the vast majority of these occur in around 7-8 community areas makes it worse. Far, far worse. It should be easy to address. But instead of doing that, our leaders are too busy throwing our police under the bus, pandering, and not doing what it takes to bring proper jobs into our struggling areas.

Also, years of financial mismanagement have created one of the worst financial crisis a U.S. city has had to deal with in our nation's history. This isn't being adequately addressed by our leadership either. And why would it? We have dumb voters who keep electing them into office over and over again, so why should they care?

I of course love Chicago but there is a lot which needs to get fixed. Just saying "rah rah" isn't going to cut it. We need to demand accountability!

Old 08-23-2017, 03:50 PM

426 posts, read 334,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
We have dumb voters who keep electing them into office over and over again
It always baffles me when people do this and they do it quite often in Chicago. They continue to vote for the same politicians who lied and screwed them over the first time. Do these voters think the politicians are going to change all of a sudden after the new election? I don't think so. Corrupt politicians tend to stay that way. They see no need to change unless they're thrown in jail and sometimes that doesn't even help.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:52 PM

1,022 posts, read 773,961 times
I know people who want to move here very badly, but between the taxes, cost of living. corrupt politicians and the insane crime that is getting worse and not just in the bad areas anymore they keep backing off

Old 08-23-2017, 05:18 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,140,824 times
The criticism is politically motivated. There are at least 15 other cities with worst crime rate but they are not associated with Obama.

Crime was worse in the 80's and 90's yet you rarely heard about Chicago's violence.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:37 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Why is everybody hating Chicago? Apparently no one got the announcement out to me. My experience with out-of-town friends and relatives and people I have met in other places give me the impression that people are crazy about Chicago and recognize it for the fantastic city it is. General out-of-town experience: people ask me where I am from. I say Chicago. And they immediately extol the cities appreciable virtues and sing its praises.

I mean....seriously.........not only is everyone (emphatically) not hating Chicago........they aren't even hateing in Chicago.

In fact, lots and lots of them out there absolutely love the place. And I can't blame them a bit.

Born and bred in Chicago and IMHO, no city can touch it. Simply the best.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:44 PM

1,022 posts, read 773,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Why is everybody hating Chicago? Apparently no one got the announcement out to me. My experience with out-of-town friends and relatives and people I have met in other places give me the impression that people are crazy about Chicago and recognize it for the fantastic city it is. General out-of-town experience: people ask me where I am from. I say Chicago. And they immediately extol the cities appreciable virtues and sing its praises.

I mean....seriously.........not only is everyone (emphatically) not hating Chicago........they aren't even hateing in Chicago.

In fact, lots and lots of them out there absolutely love the place. And I can't blame them a bit.

Born and bred in Chicago and IMHO, no city can touch it. Simply the best.
In many cases you are right. But I have seen so many comments over the past year from people all over saying Chicago should be bombed and destroyed and many other horrible things because of our crime and our mayor and the fact that people living here do nothing about either one of these problems

Old 08-23-2017, 08:23 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Crime issues are overblown. The fiscal mess, sadly, is not overblown.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:35 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
The criticism is politically motivated. There are at least 15 other cities with worst crime rate but they are not associated with Obama.

Crime was worse in the 80's and 90's yet you rarely heard about Chicago's violence.

Exactly. It's Right Wing drivel. Nothing more. I love Chicago and I am a New Yorker who now lives in Ohio.

Great city! I even enjoy your Pizza - although it's very different from NYC or NE Ohio Pizza, it's great in it's own right! There's room for both.

I think Chicago is a beautifully planned city. It is affordable, when compared to NYC. I know that isn't saying much. Great museums and wonderful architecture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago