Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 10:02 AM

11,973 posts, read 31,644,361 times

Advertisements

Since it came up in another thread, I thought I'd start it up as a new topic. I think this movie came out when Wicker Park was in the peak of it's hipster coolness. It's definitely more high-end now, but has lost a lot of its edge.

One thing I can't figure out is why the building at Milwaukee and Honore is still boarded up and empty after all of these years (where the record store was in the movie). It seems like a prime location! Especially after they knock down that Burger King and develop that parcel across the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 10:32 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,131,809 times
I kinda liked that movie. Only saw it once and probably wont see it again, but I enjoyed it.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:23 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,751,145 times
I've wondered that myself, with or without the Burger King there -- though now that the BK is closed and basically does nothing but serve as a canvas for tagging gangbangers, the sooner they tear that eyesore down the better.

You'd think the location recognition itself would give it an edge. I'd write it off as owner asking too much rent, but at some point you realize it's cheaper to get less rent than you want than to get no rent at all for years on end.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:32 PM

OK, let's start a list of Chicago institutions prominently featured in High Fidelity:

Lane Tech High School

Music Box Theater

Biograph Theater

Hi Ricky (probably the Wicker Park location, now closed)

Schuba's (referenced on a poster in Rob's apartment)

Rainbo Club; also Charlie's apartment is right around the corner from Rainbo

Lounge Ax (RIP)

Double Door

Wicker Park (the park itself)

Green Mill

Last edited by Drover; 03-14-2008 at 11:42 PM..

Old 03-15-2008, 12:34 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,311,552 times
I lived there when they were filming it....watched them making rain over the el while John Cusack was begging at the window. (Well I was stuck in traffic thanks to that actually) and all the extras outside the double door....hanging out in the park eating. It was kinda funny to see the extras actually, they really did not look like regular people, among the real regular people.

And yes, we were extremely hip then.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:01 AM

249 posts, read 681,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
OK, let's start a list of Chicago institutions prominently featured in High Fidelity:

Lane Tech High School

Music Box Theater

Biograph Theater

Hi Ricky (probably the Wicker Park location, now closed)

Schuba's (referenced on a poster in Rob's apartment)

Rainbo Club; also Charlie's apartment is right around the corner from Rainbo

Lounge Ax (RIP)

Double Door

Wicker Park (the park itself)

Green Mill
One IBM Plaza
(Joan Cusack's office -- in the movie but may only be truly recognizable in the extras)

Kinzie Street Bridge
(Dave Matthews later marked this territory)

Sauganash
(Laura's parents house)

Old 03-15-2008, 12:53 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,323,433 times
And we can't forget the el. Even though he gets onto the Purple Line at a Red Line stop... (Wilson, right?) And even though the Purple Line then goes underground....

And I don't remember anyone saying the name of Wicker Park, but Lakeview does get a shout out. (Laura lived there before she moved in with Rob).

Also, where were Rob and Sarah in that scene where they're complaining about their exes and then start making out? Down along the lake with the skyline in the background... Maybe somewhere along the lake south of McCormick place?

Old 03-15-2008, 01:09 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,311,552 times
well.....they were definitley making rain at the el right at the north ave. stop. It was coming down right where the tracks cross Damen, in front of the Double Door. I always thought the building across the street was used, one of the upper floors, to be their apartment. It really looked like the scene where he's telling her she wasn't that big of a deal (or whatever, memory fails I'm just now realizing how long ago that was and how old I am all of a sudden).

I was very anxious for the movie to come out cuase of all the buzz around the neighborhood at that time and the little 'goings on' I would see.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:28 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,200,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
And we can't forget the el. Even though he gets onto the Purple Line at a Red Line stop... (Wilson, right?) And even though the Purple Line then goes underground....
well, i've seen enough "Midway" and "Ford City" trains go by my window (my stop is Bryn Mawr if that tells you anything) to think the purple line going underground might not be so unbelievable, haha.

p.s. Yes it is Wilson. that is probably one of my favorite movies ever.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Also, where were Rob and Sarah in that scene where they're complaining about their exes and then start making out? Down along the lake with the skyline in the background... Maybe somewhere along the lake south of McCormick place?
I'm pretty sure that's Jackson Park. Why the hell a couple of Northside hipsters would go all the way down to Jackson Park to commiserate about their exes, I don't know. I think it was mostly an excuse to get a combined lakefront and skyline scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago