Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 06:22 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,988,595 times

Advertisements

I rarely drink sweetened drinks, doesn't bother me to pay when I do. If it does discourage people from drinking so much soda, it's a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 06:24 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,233,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Just drink water.

Pop/soda/whatever is terrible.

I know the opioid crisis is much sexier, but America has a very real and very severe diabetes pandemic right now.

You can't tell me that Pepsi or Coke should be so easily available while at the same time every goddamn public restroom has a bin for used insulin needles.

This is not normal.
Obviously the reason I was asking this question is that this is the first time I've bought a soda since the tax went into effect. And it's been three days and the 20 oz. bottle I bought is still more than half full.

So get off your high horse already. You won't accomplish anything up there.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:14 PM

426 posts, read 334,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Pop/soda/whatever is terrible.

The food at McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, Taco Bell and all the other fast food places are equally as terrible and unhealthy as pop/soda and sugary drinks. Why doesn't the county charge people a fast food tax when they buy food at these places? Why stop at sugary drinks? Either they tax all the unhealthy food and drink options in the county or they tax none at all. Don't discriminate.

Last edited by Manterro; 09-06-2017 at 07:24 PM..

Old 09-06-2017, 08:50 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manterro View Post
The food at McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, Taco Bell and all the other fast food places are equally as terrible and unhealthy as pop/soda and sugary drinks. Why doesn't the county charge people a fast food tax when they buy food at these places? Why stop at sugary drinks? Either they tax all the unhealthy food and drink options in the county or they tax none at all. Don't discriminate.
You cannot discriminate against a class of inanimate objects.

Sure, tax the hell out of fast food places. They're hideously unhealthy.

We're beyond the point where appeals to the absurd carry weight.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:19 PM

426 posts, read 334,268 times
Cook County has been around for 186 years and now all of a sudden they need a sugar tax to protect the health of it's citizens. They're full of crap. It's not about the people. They need the money for their budget. Just be honest and tell the people the truth. If they have to be dishonest, then do like mayor and blame all their problems and lack of funds on the previous administration. It seems to work well for "Rahm The Pathological Liar."

Old 09-06-2017, 09:42 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manterro View Post
Cook County has been around for 186 years and now all of a sudden they need a sugar tax to protect the health of it's citizens. They're full of crap. It's not about the people. They need the money for their budget. Just be honest and tell the people the truth. If they have to be dishonest, then do like mayor and blame all their problems and lack of funds on the previous administration. It seems to work well for "Rahm The Pathological Liar."
Did it ever occur to you that something may have changed over the course of 186 years? At least one thing, in the span of two centuries, that renders any comparison moot?

Old 09-07-2017, 01:07 PM

197 posts, read 235,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
I rarely drink sweetened drinks, doesn't bother me to pay when I do. If it does discourage people from drinking so much soda, it's a good thing.
The profit margin for drinks is much higher than other food items for many restaurants and businesses. The economic problems of such a heavy tax on a single product begin to compound on each other in many ways. Unless the tax is applied broadly across the state, then people will just make their purchases elsewhere, such as DuPage county. Once people begin to travel further away to purchase a singular product, they'll realize savings in many other areas on groceries, food, fuel, etc. Those purchases outside Cook county then begin to affect businesses who are losing out on the revenue of not only soda purchases, but all the other food, gas, and consumer purchases made outside the county. This effect will be especially visible on the county borders.

Patrons visiting restaurants in Cook county will have three options, either pay the tax, order water, or order an alcoholic beverage. Two out of three of those options can have negative affects, the first being reduced revenue to the store, and thus, reduced tip for the server, and the second option possibly contributing to an increase in alcohol consumption which has a host of other issues related to it including health issues and DUI's.

Restaurants and store suffering from reduced revenue will be forced with having to increase prices or cut the employee workforce. Businesses choosing the first option will inevitably force more consumers to border counties for their purchases. Businesses choosing the second option will increase the local unemployment figures and drive up costs for unemployment benefits.

The reduced purchasing on sugary drinks will then begin to affect companies that transport those items. Trucking companies will need less trucks, fewer employees. Distribution companies, including the parent companies, may need to reduce their workforce as well.

But, I'm sure you didn't consider (nor do you care) about the economic impact of just this one tax because "I don't drink it, so it doesn't affect ME."

I don't live in Cook county, but I do enjoy watching your demise.

Old 09-07-2017, 01:17 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,032,885 times
I'd make my own just to give them the finger. Freakin nanny tax.

Brew Soda at Home - Real Food - MOTHER EARTH NEWS

Old 09-08-2017, 03:30 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
My guess is that Prekwinkle loses her reelection bid. She's lost me and l voted for her. Between this and the sales tax that she campaigned to reduce and then reinstated. I'm done with her. And I don't drink soda.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:11 PM

796 posts, read 930,815 times
I'm down in texas and they aren't taxing us to death like in chicago. chicago charges 5 cents bullet tax even. back in early july, I bought a box of bullets up there at walmart (well in the suburbs actually obviously) and 100 rounds of 9mm ammo was marked at around $18, but after the sales tax and the ammo tax, that **** cost me damn near $25 which is absurd. none of that bull**** down in texas with ammo or pop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago