Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2018, 12:05 PM

774 posts, read 2,496,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Chicago's on it....so is Boston...and so is Atlanta.....and so is every other city in the United States.
The list isn't that helpful in honing in on what Amazon really wants, but there are a few inclusions and exceptions that are notable.

Notable exclusions: Houston and Charlotte as two fast-growing Sun Belt cities that always seem to be on the short-list for corporate relocations, Minneapolis as probably the most "Seattle-like" city in terms of socioeconomic demographics, and Detroit (maybe more because of the sentimental hope for it as a comeback story).

Notable inclusions: Indianapolis and Columbus for sure. I don't think they have much chance of actually getting the Amazon HQ2, but the simple fact that they were included on this list is pretty massive for them when it comes to pitching other businesses in the future. I had a post on the General US forum talking about this. Miami is also a notable inclusion - it's not really thought of as either a tech center or corporate HQ location, but it does have the advantage of being the financial and cultural bridge to Latin America along with having a ton of money imported from elsewhere (e.g. people that made their money on Wall Street or in Latin American countries).

Old 01-18-2018, 04:18 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,479,741 times
A new updated poll for those of you who do not venture out of the Chicago forum >

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...hq2-where.html

Old 01-18-2018, 04:34 PM

398 posts, read 382,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
The list isn't that helpful in honing in on what Amazon really wants, but there are a few inclusions and exceptions that are notable.

Notable exclusions: Houston and Charlotte as two fast-growing Sun Belt cities that always seem to be on the short-list for corporate relocations, Minneapolis as probably the most "Seattle-like" city in terms of socioeconomic demographics, and Detroit (maybe more because of the sentimental hope for it as a comeback story).

Notable inclusions: Indianapolis and Columbus for sure. I don't think they have much chance of actually getting the Amazon HQ2, but the simple fact that they were included on this list is pretty massive for them when it comes to pitching other businesses in the future. I had a post on the General US forum talking about this. Miami is also a notable inclusion - it's not really thought of as either a tech center or corporate HQ location, but it does have the advantage of being the financial and cultural bridge to Latin America along with having a ton of money imported from elsewhere (e.g. people that made their money on Wall Street or in Latin American countries).

I’m surprised Miami was included, too, although, then again, they included 20 damn cities. Miami’s median household income is abnormally low (lots of poverty), not to mention it’s reputed to be a breeding ground for sleazy, immoral people and scammers.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:56 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
I'm just not convinced that this is especially newsworthy, when as many as 20 cities are still in the running. Get the number down to about 5, and then you'll see the intensity grow..

And another question--what is one of the "rejected" cities comes up with a new winning proposal? I have to believe that no one is completely out of the game yet......

Old 01-19-2018, 08:11 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,479,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I'm just not convinced that this is especially newsworthy, when as many as 20 cities are still in the running. Get the number down to about 5, and then you'll see the intensity grow..

And another question--what is one of the "rejected" cities comes up with a new winning proposal? I have to believe that no one is completely out of the game yet......
Sounded to me like they've done a lot of work to get to 20 so I don't believe they will revisit anything outside of their shortlist.

Chicago has a real shot, we have everything they're looking for including a big one that most other entries do not, Real Transit! Atlanta transit is a joke and their traffic is already horrendous. Adding that many employees to the Atlanta metro would crush the highways making the average commute to/from the suburbs around 2 hours each way.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:28 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,251,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codederick View Post
Miami’s median household income is abnormally low (lots of poverty), not to mention it’s reputed to be a breeding ground for sleazy, immoral people and scammers.
ROTFL

You think Miami has some sort of 'lock' on immorality(?)

What sort of rock did you just crawl out from under?

Old 01-19-2018, 09:00 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Well they cut down over 90% of the cities that made bids, so not every city!
True, but that 90% were star gazers and not really bona fide contenders (excepting Houston, Charlotte, the town that was going to name itself after Amazon and *Tucson* -- who gave Amazon a cactus. How do you not place your second HQ in a town that gave you a cactus?).

These 20 are a very dense assemblage of highly worthy contenders. Frankly, each has a good narrative and it could go to any of them. Or Tucson.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:22 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Sounded to me like they've done a lot of work to get to 20 so I don't believe they will revisit anything outside of their shortlist.

Chicago has a real shot, we have everything they're looking for including a big one that most other entries do not, Real Transit! Atlanta transit is a joke and their traffic is already horrendous. Adding that many employees to the Atlanta metro would crush the highways making the average commute to/from the suburbs around 2 hours each way.
Not to mention, the south can't handle a sprinkle of snow. If I know Bezos, and I don't, what's happening in Georgia this week with these "snow days" would be unacceptable.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:22 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,579,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
ROTFL

You think Miami has some sort of 'lock' on immorality(?)

What sort of rock did you just crawl out from under?
Lol, I'm assuming that was just a brainfart. DC, LA, and NYC would certainly top any "lock on immorality" metric. Possibly Chicago too

Old 01-19-2018, 09:28 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
Not to mention, the south can't handle a sprinkle of snow. If I know Bezos, and I don't, what's happening in Georgia this week with these "snow days" would be unacceptable.
interesting take
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago