Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2018, 07:28 PM

13 posts, read 12,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I was attempting to say DC is an odd choice.
Atlanta just had an issue with data breach

Did Atlanta's hacker get in through City Council software? - Story | WAGA

Old 08-09-2018, 07:55 AM

13 posts, read 12,451 times
been away lately havent had a chance to check for an update. Was there any news?

Old 08-11-2018, 10:46 AM

504 posts, read 496,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampdeck View Post
been away lately havent had a chance to check for an update. Was there any news?
Atlanta seriously hurt its chances when the Georgia lawmakers punished Delta airlines for its anti-gun political views.

Newark talking about its $1B incentive package.

Rahm found to have close connections within Amazon (emailing his friend about HQ2). Chicago sizzle real released. Amazon said to like 3 of Chicago's sites (and did not visit a few of the sites).

Continued articles saying that DC area will get this because 3 of the 20 finalists are in the area.

Related News:
- Apple is opening a second HQ also, for 20k new employees
- Google, FB (FB: 2k people) expanding in chicago

Old 08-12-2018, 07:17 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKParker View Post
Atlanta seriously hurt its chances when the Georgia lawmakers punished Delta airlines for its anti-gun political views.

Newark talking about its $1B incentive package.

Rahm found to have close connections within Amazon (emailing his friend about HQ2). Chicago sizzle real released. Amazon said to like 3 of Chicago's sites (and did not visit a few of the sites).

Continued articles saying that DC area will get this because 3 of the 20 finalists are in the area.

Related News:
- Apple is opening a second HQ also, for 20k new employees
- Google, FB (FB: 2k people) expanding in chicago
I don't think all the bad media press is helping Chicago at all. Even though crime relatively isolated to bad parts of the city, and the actual crime "rate" is not as bad as many other large cities, you'd have to be naive to think that Amazon execs are not taking into account the negative violent crime press that they hear about Chicago.

Also, unlike us who live here, they are not likely breaking down all the facts about "rates" and where in the city crime is actually happening. All they hear are the extremely high crime numbers that are repeated in the media like everyone else. Even though perception isn't reality, this is definitely a big strike against the city. How much impact it has; who knows, but I'd have to be naive to think it isn't negatively impacting our bid at least somewhat.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:06 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default It's all about spin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I don't think all the bad media press is helping Chicago at all. Even though crime relatively isolated to bad parts of the city, and the actual crime "rate" is not as bad as many other large cities, you'd have to be naive to think that Amazon execs are not taking into account the negative violent crime press that they hear about Chicago.

Also, unlike us who live here, they are not likely breaking down all the facts about "rates" and where in the city crime is actually happening. All they hear are the extremely high crime numbers that are repeated in the media like everyone else. Even though perception isn't reality, this is definitely a big strike against the city. How much impact it has; who knows, but I'd have to be naive to think it isn't negatively impacting our bid at least somewhat.

The PR people from Amazon and Rahm's circle absolutely could come out with PLENTY of "positives" related to any decision that Amazon makes -- if they wanted to highlight the "investment in jobs for those otherwise facing a bleak future" that would be swallowed up by the all too gullible media and broader public.

If Amazon chooses another area for HQ2 there will almost certainly be press releases targeted at the "losing" cities that emphasize Amazon's "continuing investment in warehouse and logistics networks to continue to speed deliver of goods to customers in every part of the world"... The fact that most such facilities are really out on the fringes of metropolitan regions and as such don't help the urban underclass one bit will likely be ignored by majority of press. For what is worth the fact is even HQ2 won't do squat to help folks that at best would be qualified to work in warehouse or call center but you can bet that Rahm or any other mayor will try to get as many urban preachers and other activists associated with classic inequitable segregation of labor right up on the podium with Bezos or whatever executives they can. It is a twisted lie -- Amazon preferentially hires folks from a relative handful of well regarded colleges & universities that are all but impossible for the urban underclass coming from failing urban high schools to ever aspire to. The kids who do get into the top tier of selective CPS schools and then continue on to earn degrees in CS or other demanding fields from well regarded colleges are more likely to try to sign on with a true start-up in Silicon Valley than a behemoth like Amazon where the "funnel of advancement" is a notoriously arduous grind where gamesmanship matters more than technical ability -- the most recent examples of how brutal Amazon HR policies can be is evident in the utterly twisted way that they are imposing the "Amazon way" upon the otherwise pretty darn successful model that has been in place at Whole Foods: https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2018...ealthcare.html

The decision is really going to boil down to how the mix of executives and higher level management perceive each potential HQ2 location to fit not just the strategic needs of Amazon in terms of meshing with existing Amazon goals BUT how the location will help persuade current and future Amazon employees to view the HQ2 and whatever city is chosen as a good place for long term career growth inside Amazon as well as ease of attracting staff from competitors (and giving those looking to get the heck out a good avenue to bail...). it is going to be hard to say any other city really offers anything better in that regard -- https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/ch...cation-target/

Old 08-12-2018, 08:12 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,459,618 times
Agreed. It's difficult for people in different parts of the country to understand the kind of segregation that we live with here. How to tell them that affluent Chicagoans just say, "oh, it's just those people dying" and go about their business? People around the country will just see violence in Chicago and be very concerned.

So I agree this will not help our chances for the coveted HQ2 and its gentrification-fueling hip Millennial workforce, which will help us create even more safe bubble zones. But truthfully, I always thought this was a long shot anyway. I'll be very surprised if we get it to be honest. I think DC or Atlanta will get it. IMO.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

The decision is really going to boil down to how the mix of executives and higher level management perceive each potential HQ2 location to fit not just the strategic needs of Amazon in terms of meshing with existing Amazon goals BUT how the location will help persuade current and future Amazon employees to view the HQ2 and whatever city is chosen as a good place for long term career growth inside Amazon as well as ease of attracting staff from competitors (and giving those looking to get the heck out a good avenue to bail...). it is going to be hard to say any other city really offers anything better in that regard -- https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/ch...cation-target/
Thanks Chet. I saw this after I posted my comments. Yes indeed, our Emerald City is second to none. It gives us a big advantage - if we can keep the executives and management focused on that and not the troublesome South and West sides (except maybe to point out that the ACLU, COPA, and City government are about to get that all under control). God knows the new HQ2 workers will not be living in or going anywhere near Englewood, Austin, Roseland, Chicago Lawn, and Garfield Park (though our young property investors are hoping they start choosing East Garfield Park).

It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out but I still think it's a long shot for us (sorry about the pun). I think the violence, coupled with the lack of solutions of our also worrisome fiscal crises from the front runners in our upcoming elections, will be the straws that break the camel's back here.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:13 AM

504 posts, read 496,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Thanks Chet. I saw this after I posted my comments. Yes indeed, our Emerald City is second to none. It gives us a big advantage - if we can keep the executives and management focused on that and not the troublesome South and West sides (except maybe to point out that the ACLU, COPA, and City government are about to get that all under control). God knows the new HQ2 workers will not be living in or going anywhere near Englewood, Austin, Roseland, Chicago Lawn, and Garfield Park (though our young property investors are hoping they start choosing East Garfield Park).

It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out but I still think it's a long shot for us (sorry about the pun). I think the violence, coupled with the lack of solutions of our also worrisome fiscal crises from the front runners in our upcoming elections, will be the straws that break the camel's back here.
I actually think EGP is going to instantly go up in value if HQ2 is announced in Chicago. If Amazon chooses a site in the loop or south loop, then the green line access means that everything along the train will boom - and available housing is lacking on the green - with lots of industrial areas on the west side that are slowly being converted into housing/office space & vacant lots on the southside. EGP is pretty bad still, but I could see the area north of Washington Blvd gentrifying pretty soon after an announcement.

If AMZN chooses the lincoln yards site, EGP will have another 10 years before it has gentrified. If AMZN doesn't come to Chicago, I'd give EGP another 20 years before it is like current Pilsen.

On a separate topic, I'm really hoping Amazon comes here since it is filling roles in my field and will boost salaries across the board.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:51 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,918,983 times
you guys cant diminish the effect the negative weather perception plays on decisions like this...Chicago is nationally known for horrific winters, and, other uncomfortable weather periods, so that likely plays a part in a corporate decision on where to locate..
sure, the midwest makes a ton of sense, logistically, but, Nashville/Memphis, and a few other Midwestern cities might seem more tolerable for executives that shudder at the thought of living where there are -40 degree windchill's, and winter can drag on well into April/May..

Old 08-12-2018, 12:03 PM

Weather sucks in its own way at almost all the HQ2 candidates. Truthfully, I would take the cold over Austin's large number of 95 degree plus days in the summer. And it has not prevented our professional class from booming. I'd be more concerned about the crime and our fiscal situation.

I'm also wondering what affect the fat man's talk about a progressive income tax is going to have on the decision. My guess is it's not going to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago