Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 07:32 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
secondcitycop is an extremist, I doubt most cops share his views, if they do, we are screwed
Based on my interactions with many CPD & CFD, both active and retired, the views of ssc when it comes to "fairness" regarding pensions and other compensation issues are completely mainstream. They do not compare their wages & benefits to the private sector, but to other government workers and especially politicians -- using that as a yardstick really shapes their perceptions. The views they've expressed make it pretty clear that corruption and insiders taking care of themselves first make me believe that reform won't happen w/o some utter meltdown...

The thing of it is that most CFD/CPD folks have lots of accurate info, they talk to one another and have plenty of time to check on the figures -- they know full well that guys like Art Berman stacked so many insider appointments on top of his legislative salary that he takes home over $300k just for breathing -- http://media.apps.chicagotribune.com...rt_berman.html They know that Commissioner Steele is lying through her teeth about "not taking advantage" of a system designed to pay her more in retirement than she ever earned working -- Change of Subject: Pension windfall for Steele is no accident of law They know that even governors that have a "good guy" image make out better than bank robbers, with Jim Edgar being one of the major "flying under the radar" windfalls with a combined pension and "teaching" salary of over $300k -- https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamand.../#4f8cbe9c571c -- if that ain't "double dipping" what is? I mean for cripe's sake the guy goes on PBS and acts like "oh me oh my this state is so fraught with troubles since folks who only care about themselves took the spot light" -- so then GIVE BACK your damned pension and live on JUST the teaching salary OR teach with no salary because of your sweet pension BUT DON'T collect RETIRMENT BENEFITS if your are actually working!!!

Instead of saying "let's put an end to these disgusting practices" CFD & CPD staff, from the lowest new hire in a bad neighborhood to the most decorated "brass" all say "I'M GETTING MINE!"...

Taxpayers will get screwed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 01:39 AM

79 posts, read 95,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
You consider Rahm liberal?

Why, because he's a Democrat?
Yeah, Rahm is no liberal. He's firmly in the Democratic Party's pro-business wing, catering to the downtown civic and business elite. Both Daleys were the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I sure have a hard time thinking Pawar will win mayor in 2019, if that is what he's quietly now angling to run for when that future election occurs. I think the only reason he ran for governor despite that he was a long shot candidate, was to get a tad more name recognition for himself. I listened to him during the Chicago Teacher's Union Democrat governor's debate not long ago, and there was something about Pawar's performance in that debate that underwhelmed me about him(was already leaning Chris Kennedy myself, btw, and Kennedy's debate performance solidified my support of him). Not surprised Pawar dropped out of that race.

Something still makes think Scott Waguespack, Tom Dart, or perhaps even John Arena might have a shot in 2019. But who knows which candidates will exactly run, for mayor in 2019? I just know I won't vote for Preckwinkle if by some chance she runs, since I was upset she reinstated the 1% sales tax increase she ran on to repeal(and later reinstate), and also over the sugary beverage tax(which rightfully will be repealed as of December 1st).
Pawar is way too close to Rahm to consider running for mayor in 2019. But he's a smart guy who I'm sure will be in public service somewhere in the future.

Regarding some of the other names you listed, I think there's no doubt someone from the City Council's progressive caucus will challenge the mayor. Last time it was Fioretti, this time I think it'll be Waguespack.

Dart is a fascinating person to consider. He's got a reputation as a reformer and as a leader in the effort for criminal justice reform. That could give him an opening against Rahm. But, Dart is one of those guys who always plays coy, leading people on just enough to stay in the conversation, only to not run in the end. So I'll believe it when I see it.

But who knows? Donald Trump is president, so anything can happen. Chance the Rapper for mayor, anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago