Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 09:05 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,233,645 times

Advertisements

I posted comments about the specific apartments you mentioned in the other thread.

But as for neighborhoods in general, what do you consider an 'easy' commute? Chicago has an extremely comprehensive public transit system. You can easily live further away from downtown and pay substantially less for rent.

Lakeview would have all of the amenities you are looking for--either East Lakeview or the Southport corridor area--and you can find many apartments under $1250 in that area. No need to pay $2500/mo. East Lakeview is served by three el lines and has a dozen or so express buses that will get you to the Loop in about 30 minutes.

Generally when I apartment-hunted, I looked at landlords, not buildings. Better landlords I found over the years: Cagan Properties, Lakeview Associates, Wirtz, Wexenthaller, Water Tower Realty, possibly Group Fox.

I'm not sure I agree that having an 'all-inclusive' high rise life is necessarily better for someone new to town. You have no reason to leave. Live in a smaller building and get out and explore the city! You aren't going to get more comfortable with the city if you stay in your hermetically sealed high rise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 09:54 AM

21 posts, read 11,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I would strongly recommend you ditch the car. Parking costs close to $200 a month for the areas you're looking at. You may be able to find a street spot and park it there but even that could lead to tickets/damage, etc. It's expensive to keep a car in Chicago and it really isn't necessary if you don't need it for work.

As for areas to live, I also recommend lakeview. Without a solid budget for us to base suggestions on it's hard to locate what areas are out vs. in. I will also let you know that pretty much nobody lives downtown in the Loop. I would avoid that area. It shuts down at night and you won't feel like you're living in a neighborhood. It's like living in Times Square, no thanks.

I love Gold Coast, Old Town and Lincoln Park. All 3 meet all of your requirements but a 1 bedroom apt there will cost between $1400 to $2200 per month.
Thanks for the input!

Ideally I will ditch the car, just in the middle of a lease so just depends what I am able to work out. Certainly don't want to impact my credit/etc. Worse case, I would bring it for the first year and then cut off parking fees once I turn the car back in.

Pricing - somewhat flexible there...I have been looking at everything from studios/convertibles to one-bedrooms in the $1800 to $2500 price range. (Ideally I would like a one bedroom with a den/study area; but not set in stone.)

I was curious about the loop versus other areas, so thanks so much for that feedback! Would you say West and South Loop are both that way?

Thanks again!

Old 09-26-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
I posted comments about the specific apartments you mentioned in the other thread.

But as for neighborhoods in general, what do you consider an 'easy' commute? Chicago has an extremely comprehensive public transit system. You can easily live further away from downtown and pay substantially less for rent.

Lakeview would have all of the amenities you are looking for--either East Lakeview or the Southport corridor area--and you can find many apartments under $1250 in that area. No need to pay $2500/mo. East Lakeview is served by three el lines and has a dozen or so express buses that will get you to the Loop in about 30 minutes.

Generally when I apartment-hunted, I looked at landlords, not buildings. Better landlords I found over the years: Cagan Properties, Lakeview Associates, Wirtz, Wexenthaller, Water Tower Realty, possibly Group Fox.

I'm not sure I agree that having an 'all-inclusive' high rise life is necessarily better for someone new to town. You have no reason to leave. Live in a smaller building and get out and explore the city! You aren't going to get more comfortable with the city if you stay in your hermetically sealed high rise.
Thanks so much, I agree with you all you mentioned...reason I was thinking high rise is that I didn't really have a place to start regarding landlords....so your post helped immensely!

For easy commute, would like to be a within few blocks from the El or Bus and then around a 20/30 minute commute from there. (I just don't want to have to hike a mile to get to a bus, then have to switch to another bus, then hike another mile...)

I will definitely checkout the areas and landlords you suggested!!

Old 09-26-2017, 11:47 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,862,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagirl2016 View Post

I was curious about the loop versus other areas, so thanks so much for that feedback! Would you say West and South Loop are both that way?
I would say that the Loop, the West Loop, and the South Loop are three different adjoining areas. The Loop is the central business district while the West Loop and South Loop are more residential.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
I would say that the Loop, the West Loop, and the South Loop are three different adjoining areas. The Loop is the central business district while the West Loop and South Loop are more residential.
Got it! Thanks for the clarification, I think the "loop" I was looking at closest is what would be the South Loop. Briefly have looked in the West Loop as well; but for the price not sure that make much sense for me.

Final question...for now haha!....where are the "College" areas? Sort of what to avoid being super close to massive student housing/etc. ...looks like in South/West Loop that is entirely a possibility (keep clicking on student/furnished complexes lol)

Old 09-26-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
For easy commute, would like to be a within few blocks from the El or Bus and then around a 20/30 minute commute from there. (I just don't want to have to hike a mile to get to a bus, then have to switch to another bus, then hike another mile...)
I get what you are saying. A half mile is a long ways to walk, and any kind of transfer really eats up time on the commute.

But keep in mind, the closer you are to downtown, the more packed the trains are. The trains sit longer at the platform while people try to cram on, and then they move slower so they don't knock standing passengers around. So you might have a slightly shorter commute but it's not a linear formula. Half the number of stations doesn't mean half the travel time.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:12 PM

3,922 posts, read 6,835,417 times
Quote:
Thanks for the input!

Thanks again!
As the other poster mentioned, south loop and west loop are more residential. West loop is a well known and highly desired area to live. It contains a vast majority of Chicago's prime restaurants outside of River North at least. I would say the West Loop is nice in regards to the quality of housing and availability of restaurants and proximity to downtown but it isn't very convenient for your work location when taking public transit. It also isn't close to the lake or as easily accessible to shopping.

South loop is more family oriented. You can get a nice/big place for your money and your commute would be pretty short. The only problem with south loop is that there isn't much in the area in regards to restaurants or bars. I would not consider this spot for a first timer.

Quote:
Got it! Thanks for the clarification, I think the "loop" I was looking at closest is what would be the South Loop. Briefly have looked in the West Loop as well; but for the price not sure that make much sense for me.

Final question...for now haha!....where are the "College" areas? Sort of what to avoid being super close to massive student housing/etc. ...looks like in South/West Loop that is entirely a possibility (keep clicking on student/furnished complexes lol)
The college "areas" are largely irrelevant. Some bars in some areas are college oriented but you can just learn to avoid whatever those bars are. Some examples that come to mind are McGee's on Webster, the Apartment on Lincoln Ave, and others. But again, there are likely more adult oriented bars close by. Keep in mind that Lincoln Park is the home to Depaul University so you will definitely have a higher percentage of college students frequenting that area.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
South Loop and Loop will have some Columbia College students. And some Art Institute. West Loop will have some UIC. Lincoln Park and Lakeview will have some DePaul students. But really, there are so many colleges all over town that you will find college students just about everywhere.

If you are looking for a more 'mature' neighborhood, I'd look at the Southport corridor. Logan Square is more family oriented but definitely fewer college students. Lincoln Square may be a little further out, commute-wise, but isn't a trixie/party neighborhood.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I get what you are saying. A half mile is a long ways to walk, and any kind of transfer really eats up time on the commute.

But keep in mind, the closer you are to downtown, the more packed the trains are. The trains sit longer at the platform while people try to cram on, and then they move slower so they don't knock standing passengers around. So you might have a slightly shorter commute but it's not a linear formula. Half the number of stations doesn't mean half the travel time.
Very true! So many things to consider ! Thanks!

Old 09-26-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
South Loop and Loop will have some Columbia College students. And some Art Institute. West Loop will have some UIC. Lincoln Park and Lakeview will have some DePaul students. But really, there are so many colleges all over town that you will find college students just about everywhere.

If you are looking for a more 'mature' neighborhood, I'd look at the Southport corridor. Logan Square is more family oriented but definitely fewer college students. Lincoln Square may be a little further out, commute-wise, but isn't a trixie/party neighborhood.
Okay great, thanks for that! I completely get students being everywhere, just didn't want to wind up right in the middle of campus housing haha...particularly in the "Loop" areas, I am finding a lot of the places I have pulled up online are geared more towards that demographic.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago