Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 10:16 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,445,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
Another spot that may interest him south of Roosevelt Road is Chinatown. It's pretty safe, not a bad place to walk around for an hour or so and grab a meal if he likes Chinese food. Just off the Cermak Red Line stop.

Jandrew - RE rain: Just look at the radar and hourly forecast (which can change very quickly!) and bring an umbrella and jacket. It's tough to predict. The last time it rained here was a couple hours in a morning a few days after Hurricane Irma made landfall in Florida. It was rain from that storm, almost a flukish thing, and it mainly rained in the Loop and on the south side. I live in the western suburbs and didn't get any rain from that, and it didn't rain much in the week prior to that. We had several larger rain storms this summer. It would be unfortunate if you have a lot of rain during your trip, but it's not predictable like Orlando where there's a late afternoon/early evening t-storm every other day. It's also not like Seattle where it's consistent rain but tolerable to be outside. It can be anything in between depending on the weather pattern.
Thanks, Fusillirob. You're right about the radar, completely forgot that its right there on my phone lol. I just know we want to walk around and explore, and will be using the train often, and Thursday is my birthday, so I just don't want to be soaking wet and cold, and I don't know how comfortable it'll be sitting on the train wet either.

I'm sure it's going to rain at this point. As long as it's not an all day downpour, I shouldn't be sour about it. I do hope the skyscrapers wont be lost in the fog though, I'm a big skyscraper person, and that's one thing so enticing about Chicago.

And I don't eat Chinese, but Chinatown may still be worth a look for the architecture. Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think its far from the hotel at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 01:31 AM

79 posts, read 95,509 times
Chicago is a great city. I hope you enjoy it!

As for things to do, there's no shortage. But if you have the time, I strongly recommend going on the Chicago River architecture tour with Shoreline. It's a great way to see the skyline and you learn so much about the city's history.

Also downtown, you really can't go wrong with the museum campus (Art Institute, Field Museum, the Shedd, etc.). As for our tall buildings, the Sears Tower skydeck is higher up, but I think you get better city views from the John Hancock Observatory. You can't go wrong with either though.

If you're just walking around, Millennium Park is pretty cool. The area by Buckingham Fountain in Grant Park is nice as well (and less touristy, which is nice). Also, check out the riverwalk if you have time.

As for public transit, the L is pretty easy to navigate, especially if you've done big city transit before.

If you're looking to venture out of downtown, there are lots of cool places to check out as well. Wicker Park, Bucktown and Logan Square (northwest of the Loop off the Blue Line) have a nice nightlife and some quality live music venues. Wrigleyville has nightlife too, but I'd probably stay away since the Cubs playoffs start tomorrow (unless you're into that).

Have a nice time!

Old 10-05-2017, 08:38 AM

Thanks! Yeah the L hasnt been a problem. We went by Grant Park and those parks next to it, but unfortunately theres a bunch of chain linked fences up, I think a a marathon is coming? But Millenium Park wasnt blocked off and it was nice. Finally seeing the Bean was neat.

Thanks for those neighborhood suggestions, we do want to get out of downtown and explore. Today is my birthday so I hope to find a good place for a drink and view. Ive been told about Cindys. A friend who lives here has given me endless suggestions.

Still trying to decide on which museum(s) since they are a little steep, but literally everyone keeps saying do the river tour, so I guess its a must do now.

Glad I didnt stress over the weather. It was mostly clear yesterday, and today was supposed to be showers, but now theyre saying no rain. I really lucked out there!

Old 10-05-2017, 09:48 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,180,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Thanks! Yeah the L hasnt been a problem. We went by Grant Park and those parks next to it, but unfortunately theres a bunch of chain linked fences up, I think a a marathon is coming? But Millenium Park wasnt blocked off and it was nice. Finally seeing the Bean was neat.

Thanks for those neighborhood suggestions, we do want to get out of downtown and explore. Today is my birthday so I hope to find a good place for a drink and view. Ive been told about Cindys. A friend who lives here has given me endless suggestions.

Still trying to decide on which museum(s) since they are a little steep, but literally everyone keeps saying do the river tour, so I guess its a must do now.

Glad I didnt stress over the weather. It was mostly clear yesterday, and today was supposed to be showers, but now theyre saying no rain. I really lucked out there!
Yes, the marathon is this weekend so they're restricting access to some parts of Grant Park. That being said, you're not missing anything. It's mostly just baseball fields in the areas that are fenced off.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:57 PM

Is the Hubbard St area is good for nightlife? Im looking for lounge, rooftop, dance type places. Is Hubbard St good? Are there any other good streets worth researching?

Trying to figure out where to go tonight. Thanks!

Last edited by Jandrew5; 10-06-2017 at 08:08 PM..

Old 10-10-2017, 05:23 PM

No response Friday but it's okay, we found an okay place. I wanted to say thanks again for everyone's suggestions and help! We made an itinerary but barely did anything on it because we explored and found so many other cool things. I actually ended up on the WGN news lol.

Wasn't a fan of Ohare, but Midway was fine. Both were easily accessible compared to other airports. The train was easy to use and so conveniently located for the most part. I think we used every color line except for the yellow. My gf says that Metro in DC made her queasy, but she said Chicago's was fine - maybe because most of it was above ground. We walked a total 25 miles or so.

All the food places we tried were great and the neighborhoods were very cool, even though hyped Lincoln Park felt very sleepy and quiet, and everything seemed closed. The city felt like a mesh of NYC and DC urban-wise and had a lot of character. The boat tour was great and the skyline is ridiculously cool.

Chicago has always been on my list of potential cities, but I was very impressed and it's climbed the list. My biggest concern is actually not the crime or Illinois govt, but the winters. Don't know if we can take subzero wind chills or drive in snow and ice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago