Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 10:48 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,915,563 times

Advertisements

I've never been to a game - have been to a few things at the United Center but for cheaper events where we were able to get good seats without emptying out our retirement funds I know my teenagers would love to go to a game, so I'm thinking about buying tickets for a game in January. BUT - I'm not willing to spend more than $100/ticket so that pretty much limits us to very cheapest seats, in the upper corners or behind the goals (300s and 320s). How are these seats? Is spending $400+ for the four of us to go a waste if we won't even be able to see the game/be so far up it won't be enjoyable?

We live in Wisconsin so kind of unfamiliar with NHL in general, but for some reason my kids are big fans.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 11:12 AM

62 posts, read 79,510 times
There isnt a bad seat in the house in my opinion.

Old 09-29-2017, 01:41 PM

3,920 posts, read 6,833,898 times
First advice is don't get standing room only tickets. Those are a waste IMO. I have sat at literally the very last row and it wasn't too bad. My only warning is that it's pretty high up so it's hard to keep track of the puck at times. It is a very large stadium but you will have a birds eye view which is good I guess.

Do you plan to stay the night in Chicago? If so, I can recommend some cost saving ideas that might open your budget for better tickets!

Old 09-29-2017, 02:18 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
There are really no bad seats in United Center. I've seen lots of hockey in a wide variety of settings and the sightlines in United Center are first rate. Seats behind the goals are actually quite good as the pitch of the seating areas is steep enough that there are minimal blockage of any action along the boards.

I do agree that it is somewhat foolhardy to buy SRO tickets though generally speaking the reason for getting such tickets is during the playoffs when the point is more to be part of the celebration than to actually see the action, that won't be a factor in January...

If the OP and his family are accustomed to NHL TV coverage you likely will miss some of the "watch their faces" coverage that is now common among the video of NHL games BUT you likely will get a better appreciation for how plays develop and how action "away from the puck" can be decisive for the out come -- that include things that sometimes are not covered as well on TV like how efficiently the teams make the changes / plan for match-ups as well as contact between players. Ironically if you watch collegiate hockey on TV, where there are typically fewer cameras, you are probably more conditions to the "wide angle shot"...

Old 09-29-2017, 04:40 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,915,563 times
Thanks everyone! I ruled out the standing room only tickets at the beginning, so good to hear that was a good call.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:17 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,188,951 times
You could see a Chicago Wolves game in Rosemont for much less money. It's the American Hockey League, the highest minor league play where some Hawks started out.

Not the same as Blackhawks, but a nice way for entertainment if combining the trip with sightseeing.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:40 AM

79 posts, read 95,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
You could see a Chicago Wolves game in Rosemont for much less money. It's the American Hockey League, the highest minor league play where some Hawks started out.

Not the same as Blackhawks, but a nice way for entertainment if combining the trip with sightseeing.
I enjoy a Wolves game every now and then, but the experience really does not come close to that of a Hawks game, in my opinion. Sure, it's more expensive to see an NHL game, but it's a better product. Plus, these folks are from Wisconsin, so if they wanted to see some AHL action, I'd assume they'd just go see the Milwaukee Admirals.

To the original post, the UC is a first-rate venue to watch sports. There is literally no bad seat in the house. I would recommend buying in the 300-level behind one of the nets. Tix will probably run somewhere between $75-100 each. You'll be high up, but with great sight lines.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:14 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
I can remember going to the United Center to see the Blackhawks at least 10 years ago, and it was virtually empty. I had my choice of thousands of seats, no exaggeration. When the current stars leave, I wonder if things will return to that condition..

Old 10-12-2017, 07:48 AM

3,920 posts, read 6,833,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I can remember going to the United Center to see the Blackhawks at least 10 years ago, and it was virtually empty. I had my choice of thousands of seats, no exaggeration. When the current stars leave, I wonder if things will return to that condition..
The lack of fanbase was compounded by the fact that they were blacked out on TV for many many years. My dad owned Season Tickets back then and I agree with your analysis of the amount of empty seats. As long as the Hawks stay on TV, people will buy seats to watch. IDK why anyone thought it was a good idea to blackout local broadcasts to encourage attendance. I believe the fans come first and attendees follow.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:23 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
The empire that Bill Wirtz built was based on things that were pretty simple -- booze, banks, and buildings -- http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...ooze-buildings

The family's ownership of the Blackhawks was more or less a "hobby" and that hobby was not really thought of as something that could generate 'entertainment revenue" until Rocky took over. He had the wisdom to seek out the advice of those that had a better understanding of how sports fit into the bigger picture of entertainment /broadcasting, the key person that Rocky tapped for this is John McDonough, a person well known to Chicago sports insiders -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_M...orts_executive)

The complexity of fostering not just "loyal fans" but creating an entertainment option that gives sports teams the ability to develop in a way that is successful in every aspect is not easy -- many cities do not have the right mix of potential customers and even when there is the right opportunity many sports organizations fail to sustain the kind of support that is needed. We in Chicago are extremely fortunate to have had so many teams earn championships in a relatively brief window. For all the recent controversy created by one of the key people in starting Chicago toward those championships it is good to consider how those successes have benefited the city in terms of development and overall profile...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago